Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

It's warming up here after today.

I am so tired of the cold and shoveling snow and chipping ice/frost off the car. Plus our little dog gets confused when it snows and does not know where to go to the bathroom because the yard is covered and she can't smell her "spot". So every time it snows not only do I have to clean off the walks, steps, stoop, driveway and car: I have to clear her off a 10 ft x 10 ft "spot" and a trail to it so she can do her "business."
      Yup, our girl doesn't like sqatting in the snow either, our past male dogs, no worries, they wouldn't even hike a leg in snow, just walk and pee, then turn and kick up a blizzard.
    • milkman wrote:

I gotta tell ya coach, I loved Montana but I sure hated shoveling snow. Shovel you way out and shovel your way in all in the same day got old. nothing beats Montana in the springtime. When I go back it will be at that time.

I chatted with my pal in Missoula, on Sunday. We shot the breeze for an hour. It was good. He said that they have gotten no snow. And, I remember. Early winter, we were warmish, no snow....they were freezing. Then after MLK day The Vortex moved in and we've been below freezing for February, and they were tropical.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

You just showing everyone how smart you are and look!

I'm not smart. I spend too much time in here.
      Never been concerned about going bald.
      Both my brothers were and they went quicker than me. My dad was bald by the time I was born. Don't worry, be happy. Best hair care you can have.
      Every couple of months Annie runs a clipper over it with a number two comb. I like low maintenance. If it needs combing or starts looking messy it gets cut. I would shave it but my skull is not pretty.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • So here's something I didn't think I'd ever write...

I need to report that today there was the dead carcass of a calf sitting on the ice on the lake, and three bald eagles were fighting over it.

They're dang hard to photograph without a telephoto lense or a blind, but here is ine of the juveniles sittin on Elmer:
      Images
      • image.jpg

52.61 kB, 800×600, viewed 163 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • OzJacko wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

You just showing everyone how smart you are and look!

I'm not smart. I spend too much time in here.
      Never been concerned about going bald.
      Both my brothers were and they went quicker than me. My dad was bald by the time I was born. Don't worry, be happy. Best hair care you can have.
      Every couple of months Annie runs a clipper over it with a number two comb. I like low maintenance. If it needs combing or starts looking messy it gets cut. I would shave it but my skull is not pretty.

Every summer before I go hiking I have my use the #2 comb on my hair too. I really enjoy the no maintenance, and then even lower maintenance months later. Tempting to start doing it all year.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

I gotta tell ya coach, I loved Montana but I sure hated shoveling snow. Shovel you way out and shovel your way in all in the same day got old. nothing beats Montana in the springtime. When I go back it will be at that time.

I chatted with my pal in Missoula, on Sunday. We shot the breeze for an hour. It was good. He said that they have gotten no snow. And, I remember. Early winter, we were warmish, no snow....they were freezing. Then after MLK day The Vortex moved in and we've been below freezing for February, and they were tropical.

I lived in Billings and I can remember playing golf in January. Our magic number was 40. If it hit 40º we hit the links. And then came Febrrrrruary. Sometimes 3 weeks straight in the minus 20's. Then there were times when all around us everybody was getting just hammered and Billings, all you needed was a jacket. Billings is great. In the summer with temps around 103 - 105 you can see the snow-capped mountains in Red Lodge 60 miles away from the golf course. If we really wanted to cool off all we'd do is jump in the truck head on over to Red Lodge and grab a pizza and watch the skiers. We'd could get there in an hour if we were in a hurry or hour and a half if we dilly-dallied and grabed some deep fried cauliflower from this little drive-in place on the way. Whole different life out there.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

I lived in Billings and I can remember playing golf in January. Our magic number was 40. If it hit 40º we hit the links. And then came Febrrrrruary. Sometimes 3 weeks straight in the minus 20's. Then there were times when all around us everybody was getting just hammered and Billings, all you needed was a jacket. Billings is great. In the summer with temps around 103 - 105 you can see the snow-capped mountains in Red Lodge 60 miles away from the golf course. If we really wanted to cool off all we'd do is jump in the truck head on over to Red Lodge and grab a pizza and watch the skiers. We'd could get there in an hour if we were in a hurry or hour and a half if we dilly-dallied and grabed some deep fried cauliflower from this little drive-in place on the way. Whole different life out there.

Indeed.......another world. Actually I've never been east of Cooke City or Bozeman. Soooooooooooooooo many places I want to get to, just rivers alone. We have been talking for years about getting a drift Boat. We have never hit any of that water. I want to get to the Chinese Wall, he can't backpack anymore.....we are going to do it with horses. I can go on and on Bobby Jo!!!!!!!!!
    • CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

Indeed.......another world. Actually I've never been east of Cooke City or Bozeman. Soooooooooooooooo many places I want to get to, just rivers alone. We have been talking for years about getting a drift Boat. We have never hit any of that water. I want to get to the Chinese Wall, he can't backpack anymore.....we are going to do it with horses. I can go on and on Bobby Jo!!!!!!!!!

Oh I know. And then there's Wyoming yet. The ice caves in July for example.
    • milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

I love Bozeman too. A mile high and a mile wide. Fantastic area. That's where we went hunting. Friends knew friends who had property on the elk runway.
    • milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

The Winds......The Green River.....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....the Salt river......The Great Divide Basin...................I have to stop, before I end up in Idaho! :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Next time in Bozeman...I'm going to the Mystery Ranch Factory................I need a winter pack.!

A man could make and have a really nice life out there. People say we are so laid back here in Alabama. Well those folks got a good grasp on the definition too.
    • Amazing how fast things change, 8" of snow in the back yard a few days ago and now the daffodils are in bloom and the naked ladies are getting ready to bloom, red wing black birds singing, wood ducks moving into the houses and geese pairing up....it's spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Amazing how fast things change, 8" of snow in the back yard a few days ago and now the daffodils are in bloom and the naked ladies are getting ready to bloom, red wing black birds singing, wood ducks moving into the houses and geese pairing up....it's spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weve got cardinals in the trees now, sure sign spring is coming
      its all good