Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: whats the weather where you are?

If you have weather like a lot of us have getting lately you could just take the ice cream you have not eaten and leave it outside to stay frozen. Had a large cooler of water bottles I needed to cool, so instead of buying I ice, I just took the cooler outside and let it sit open in the 20s.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • whats the weather where you are?

19 degrees out, told ya that to tell ya this

...got about 8" of very wet heavy schnow! plows came by late for a second swipe, and covered the aprin...it froze in big boulders....so I just rolled em out of the way this mornin...thanks Mr. plow man...ya bastard 52.gif

Waiting for the snow. We have just a few inches from yesterday's snow and I've been patiently waiting for enough snow to try out the snowshoes I got for Xmas. I think tomorrow might do it. I have been using the old fashion wood and rawhide type for years and just stayed away from treacherous terrain. I really never felt that limited by them. Then last summer I met some folks that told me how great the normally steep rocky areas are for snowshoeing when the snow gets deep.

Storm wrote:

Ohio is about to get bombarded. My area is supposed to get a bunch of snow but looks like the ice is going to miss us.
      NJ has already declared a State of emergency....hasn't even started yet...i'm thinking I may have to catch up on some reading tomorrow....downed power lines, no internet...brake out the candles.

Well what a mess, NJ has had some serious ice storms before, and this one wasn't as bad as in the past...but still, lots of downed trees and wires. Lost several branches equaling to about 1/4 of a tree fortunately it did not take out our power or cable, but cable is still out. This morning around 5:00 I took a walk around the neighborhood and it was beautiful....then Boom, and several green flashes over the next few minutes, I love to watch copper burn...Transformers blew up all around me, but not that close, just enough the impart a beautiful green color that I wish would have lasted much longer.

Getting ready to go to work. It's going be a long john night with lows supposed to be 1 degree. Have no Idea what the wind chill will be. Thank goodness I only have to make rounds twice a night and they are inside a building part of the way.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm camping out tonight........on the couch at work in NJ.
      The snow hasn't started yet, but I don't want to have to drive back here in the white stuff tomorrow.

That's why I never lasted in corperate life. They got really pissed when I was making smoors! :woohoo:[/quote ]

You shared some with them, then they might have understood and appreciated it. ;)

Astro wrote:

Teens with snow all over the roads and everywhere else. Coldest winter in the 11 years I have lived here. Global Warming??? Give me a break. :angry:

I fully agree Astro. However, I tell people that I believe in Global Warming. I believe the globe is slowly warming and has been doing so for thousands of years. There is no measureable evidence of that fact today and what exists as evidence is a calculated lie. There was a day that glaciers covered much of our country. Those glaciers went someway and did so without our help. People freak out over what is happening to Glacier National Park. To those people I would say, "you should have seen the place about 2000 BC".
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:whats the weather where you are?

Rasty wrote:

The alternative to global warming is an ice age. Prius' don't drive on glaciers.

Neither does the Chevy Volt (added for Hikerboy)

Many of us old farts remember the coming ice age of the late 70's early 80's. When the next scare tactic comes designed to take more control and money from trusting souls, it will likely be a coming ice age again. People may doubt that, but it has already happened in my life and people just except it.

Moving on.

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

68º going to 83º. Woke up to this strange thick cloud formation near the ground. Googled it and found out they call this obscurity - fog.

Fog in Fla!.......More evidence :silly:

I wish I could. It's all gone now. Bright and sunny 76º and rising. Next time I'll remember to take a pic. If there is a next time.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

@ 0500 it was 12, it is 23 @ 1012. I will put up the Hooch in the back yard tonight, to test the new floor :P I really am Jonesing to get out but can't, busy tommorow............ gif.013

Of course there will be pics...............I haven't decided if I will cook my soup in it tonite. I'm not going to 'carry', I should be safe, alot of deer and skunk in our edge of the woods! :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

My favorite is the food pyramids. It would open some eyes to study how we got the one we did in the 70's. It was developed because of money and money only. It had zero basis in fact. The commissions reporting to Carter told him it was complete junk. I will stop here and let you guess what kind of relationship the people had with Carter that made him discard science and put grain as the most important part of our diet.

The other 2 pyramids that are hilarious are in any "good" fitness advisors room. One shows fat content. The other shows sugar content. I was in one such room prior to my Maine walk. I looked at them for a bit and asked, "why don't you show the sugar content of low fat substitutes? Why do they only appear on your fat pyramid? Why isn't low fat milk on the sugar pyramid? Do you believe low fat high sugar milk is more healthy that real milk without the added sugar?" Low fat equals high sugar. We talked for about a half an hour. The person was a bit uncomfortable with me. I peeked behind the curtain to soon.

BirdBrain wrote:

My favorite is the food pyramids. It would open some eyes to study how we got the one we did in the 70's. It was developed because of money and money only. It had zero basis in fact. The commissions reporting to Carter told him it was complete junk. I will stop here and let you guess what kind of relationship the people had with Carter that made him discard science and put grain as the most important part of our diet.

The other 2 pyramids that are hilarious are in any "good" fitness advisors room. One shows fat content. The other shows sugar content. I was in one such room prior to my Maine walk. I looked at them for a bit and asked, "why don't you show the sugar content of low fat substitutes? Why do they only appear on your fat pyramid? Why isn't low fat milk on the sugar pyramid? Do you believe low fat high sugar milk is more healthy that real milk without the added sugar?" Low fat equals high sugar. We talked for about a half an hour. The person was a bit uncomfortable with me. I peeked behind the curtain to soon.

I've got them all covered............chocolate is on top of my food pyramid :woohoo:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Re:Re: Re:whats the weather where you are?

BirdBrain wrote:

As a chef I refuse to acknowledge the food pyramid
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:whats the weather where you are?

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

As a chef I refuse to acknowledge the food pyramid

another pyramid scheme
      its all good

BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

Teens with snow all over the roads and everywhere else. Coldest winter in the 11 years I have lived here. Global Warming??? Give me a break. :angry:

I fully agree Astro. However, I tell people that I believe in Global Warming. I believe the globe is slowly warming and has been doing so for thousands of years. There is no measureable evidence of that fact today and what exists as evidence is a calculated lie. There was a day that glaciers covered much of our country. Those glaciers went someway and did so without our help. People freak out over what is happening to Glacier National Park. To those people I would say, "you should have seen the place about 2000 BC".

Excellent points!

The expression our media use is not "Global Warming", but "Climate Change".
      I have no doubt we are messing with the planets weather.
      I also believe that people are going to get much more extreme weather in the years to come.
      In NorthEast USA you will be much colder when the effect of changing sea currents hits. If you don't believe it that's your right but wait about 10 years before you argue about it.
      We will burn more down here.
      :(
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I believe it is undeniable that we are having an effect on our planet. Cod Cove no longer has cod in it. Our aquifers are being drained. Several mile long gill nets scoop up everything in sight. I just wish there was more honesty on the debate. We have ozone alerts in Maine all the time. The average person thinks that means there is a big hole in the ozone layer above their head because they have been told we are destroying the ozone all their life. The reality is that industrialized nations produce unhealthy amounts of ozone. An ozone alert is when there is too much ozone coupled with the heat index. The problem is that those pushing for change are not interested in saving anything. They are interested in collecting money and gaining control. Whatever conversation that gains them those items will be pushed regardless of the amount of truth in said conversation. We have real problems facing us on the big blue ball. But as long as those in power only care about power, we have no hope of an honest discussion, let alone any hope of solving them.

BirdBrain wrote:

I believe it is undeniable that we are having an effect on our planet. Cod Cove no longer has cod in it. Our aquifers are being drained. Several mile long gill nets scoop up everything in sight. I just wish there was more honesty on the debate. We have ozone alerts in Maine all the time. The average person thinks that means there is a big hole in the ozone layer above their head because they have been told we are destroying the ozone all their life. The reality is that industrialized nations produce unhealthy amounts of ozone. An ozone alert is when there is too much ozone coupled with the heat index. The problem is that those pushing for change are not interested in saving anything. They are interested in collecting money and gaining control. Whatever conversation that gains them those items will be pushed regardless of the amount of truth in said conversation. We have real problems facing us on the big blue ball. But as long as those in power only care about power, we have no hope of an honest discussion, let alone any hope of solving them.

Whatever the merits of your argument, you picked a horrible example with ozone. A short summary: Ozone at ground level - bad! Ozone up in the upper stratosphere - needed! Everything needs to be in its proper place.

There's surprisingly little mixing between air at ground level and air in the ozone layer. Producing ozone on the ground simply doesn't help - and actively harms, as you observe, in a great many other ways. The reason that you don't hear that much about ozone any more is that it's well on its way to recovery, thanks mostly to the discontinuation of R-12 as a refrigerant. While it's still badly depleted and in decline, current projections show it recovering to pre-1980 levels by mid-century. In short: we appear to have caught that one in time. Barely.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

Currently 75º
      Feels Like 76°
      Visibility 10mi
      Humidity 71%
      UV Index 1 (Low)
      Today - A mix of clouds and sun. High 83 °F (28.3 °C). Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph (8.0 to 16.1 kph).

Tonight - A few clouds. Low 64 °F (17.8 °C). Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph (8.0 to 16.1 kph).
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.