Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Clear blue sky, wind about 15 out of the west, north west, and 30.4 degrees when I cycled to work this morning. I'm hoping the wind dies down some by go home time.
      Probably better when the wind is at your back instead of in your face. :)
      For sure !
      Last night coming home from work the wind was 15+ mph and in my face, I was working hard to get home. I had to slow down because I started sweating, and at 32 degrees that was uncomfortable.
    • I'm in the 18" - 24" range, starting tomorrow around noon. Central PA is going to get a nice coating.

Snowblower - check. Snow boots and gloves - check. All at the Ohio house. Dammit!

Snow shovel - check. Uninsulated work boots - check. Motrin - check. I'm getting too old for this.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • 4" down, followed by a period of sleet. The heavy stuff is supposed to fall around midnight.

Looks like we might be on the low side of the estimates
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Had a late and fancy dinner with some friends tonight. Lost in conversation we finally looked around and realized we were the last patrons in the restaurant. Somehow we 'broke' the local curfew. Just got home, cold icy snow is just beginning. School is cancelled for tomorrow, I already have the shovel waiting by the front door. I think I am going to let my son get a workout tomorrow.

Good night all!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • 8" of heavy wet crap here on the Connecticut Coast (1/2mile from Hammonassett S.P.)...thru the night the rain snow line bounced back and forth along Long Island. I saw one forecast for us say 30".............if that line stayed to the south of Long Island we would have had that easy! I need to see what my cousin in Quechee got!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • IMScotty wrote:

Had a late and fancy dinner with some friends tonight. Lost in conversation we finally looked around and realized we were the last patrons in the restaurant. Somehow we 'broke' the local curfew. Just got home, cold icy snow is just beginning. School is cancelled for tomorrow, I already have the shovel waiting by the front door. I think I am going to let my son get a workout tomorrow.

Good night all!
      For me it is more leaves than snow, but I sure do miss having three teenage boys at home. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

8" of heavy wet crap here on the Connecticut Coast (1/2mile from Hammonassett S.P.)...thru the night the rain snow line bounced back and forth along Long Island. I saw one forecast for us say 30".............if that line stayed to the south of Long Island we would have had that easy! I need to see what my cousin in Quechee got!
      Quechee? Is that a city or a cheese dish? :D
    • After waking up every morning this week with temperatures in the 20s this week, I am not worrying too much about global warming.

Matter of fact I am looking forward to picking my dad up in NC tomorrow to drive him to FL Saturday for his Birthday with his brother and sister. I like the 70s a lot more than the 20s, so I guess I will be celebrating a little local warming my self. 8)
    • They say we got 12" that was compacted down to 8" from the periods of sleet. Wasn't too bad to shovel.

All hail Motrin!

• The weather has been beautiful in East Tennessee, mid 50’s. I’ve been taking advantage of it and hiking and cycling every chance I get, sometimes twice a day. Rain and snow is rolling in tomorrow and high temp on Friday will be 27*, ugh. I have to work on Friday, double ugh.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Astro wrote:

After waking up every morning this week with temperatures in the 20s this week, I am not worrying too much about global warming.

Matter of fact I am looking forward to picking my dad up in NC tomorrow to drive him to FL Saturday for his Birthday with his brother and sister. I like the 70s a lot more than the 20s, so I guess I will be celebrating a little local warming my self. 8)
      Well, I have to disagree with you. The average temp at this time is high 20's with some occasional highs in the 30's. After watching the weather carefully for the last 3 weeks, I made a round trip to Chicago yesterday. I left at 6:06am or as I told my daughter aka 5:06am for those of you in CT zone. It was already 38*. When I got west of Ann Arbor, it dropped to 36* and west of Jackson to 35*. However, as I made my way west across the state, it slowly was climbing. By the time I got to Chicago it was in the low-mid 40's. My daughter was at the outside door of their apartment when I drove up and threw the leash to me. I walked Bella for 2 hours, then we had lunch outside in the side yard. I was only allowed to go inside to the bathroom in the basement of the apartment building just before I left to return home. The funny thing was that over the weekend my daughter had bought a body pillow for her husband and she didn't know how she would get it in the apartment without him seeing. I told her to have him walk Bella and bring it in then but in the meantime, hid it in the basement and then bring it up when he takes Bella for a walk. Well, she did hide it in the basement then sort of forgot about it with all the busyness of M & Tu. When she opened the door to the toilet room (yes, it's just a stall), there was the body pillow. Her husband was outside working on fixing my phone, so she hustled it upstairs to their apartment. Anyway, I left at 3:36pm aka 2:36pm CT and it was 58*. It stayed that way through Indiana then very slowly started coming down. By the time I reached home (after a short stop in AA to drop off Christmas cookies and present to my sister) it was still 50*.

So, thank goodness for global warming yesterday so I was able to visit my daughter for the second time in 2020 and have a very pleasant day!
    • Here in Boston the plan is for pouring rain and wind gusts up to 65 mph on Christmas morning. They are expecting plenty of power outages from this. I do pity the socially isolated elderly sitting home alone this Christmas.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Hoping for non-snow/ice driving to Inidiana Saturday and back Monday night. Considering I have all three sons with me and their wives (well 2 and 1 girlfriend) I guess my whole family future could be based on my driving. Growing up in South Florida I never saw snow until I was 20, and my driving experience is limited living in FL, TX, and AR. And if it did snow and we needed to go somewhere I usually let my wife drive sinc she grew up in it.
    • Astro wrote:

Hoping for non-snow/ice driving to Inidiana Saturday and back Monday night. Considering I have all three sons with me and their wives (well 2 and 1 girlfriend) I guess my whole family future could be based on my driving. Growing up in South Florida I never saw snow until I was 20, and my driving experience is limited living in FL, TX, and AR. And if it did snow and we needed to go somewhere I usually let my wife drive sinc she grew up in it.
      we have an 800 mile drive on Sunday from Raleigh to MI. That big storm blew through yesterday and today. Hoping it will be cleaned up by then. Never driven that far in one day, but didn't want to stay in a hotel these days.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

Hoping for non-snow/ice driving to Inidiana Saturday and back Monday night. Considering I have all three sons with me and their wives (well 2 and 1 girlfriend) I guess my whole family future could be based on my driving. Growing up in South Florida I never saw snow until I was 20, and my driving experience is limited living in FL, TX, and AR. And if it did snow and we needed to go somewhere I usually let my wife drive sinc she grew up in it.
      we have an 800 mile drive on Sunday from Raleigh to MI. That big storm blew through yesterday and today. Hoping it will be cleaned up by then. Never driven that far in one day, but didn't want to stay in a hotel these days.
      Now that is interesting. While I have very little experience with snow and ice, that is something you deal with all the time.
      On the other hand I have made hundreds of straight thru trips in the 600 to 1,3000 mile range. In just 10 days now I will have done 6 of them. :)
      Here is to all of us having safe journeys!