Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Forecast bad enough to cancel the MLK weekend trip.

Down there in Harriman, they're saying 5-9 inches of snow Saturday night with freezing rain on top of it.

Up here, it's supposed to be 12-18 inches of snow, slight chance of freezing rain, and then temperatures plunging to about -6F and wind chills well into the -20's.

Even before Coach Lou waved us off, I had already crossed the line into "I'm not expendable. I'm not stupid. And I'm not going."

Damn. Wanted to see the guys.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • This is Texas. It was 69 and sunny today (Friday), T-shirts today. the arctic air is due in just a few hours. Tomorrow's high happens tonight at midnight. Then it will be like 35 with a wind chill in the 20's all day on Saturday. Sunday AM is supposed to be 25 and wind chill in single digits. But then warming to 48 Sunday afternoon and into the 50's on Monday (MLK)......
      Nature" "Lets see....can we have spring, summer, fall and winter all in one day?"
      Texas: "Hold my beer"......
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • It's 20* here in SE MI with 3" already on the ground and another 6" set to fall in the next 6 hours. Was supposed to go on a hike/picnic but it's a 70+ minute drive in good weather. I like to hike in the snow but don't fancy the drive home in more than 1/2 foot of snow so I pulled the plug on today's hike with the group. I may hike in the local woods that are only 2 miles away.
    • Trillium wrote:

It's 20* here in SE MI with 3" already on the ground and another 6" set to fall in the next 6 hours. Was supposed to go on a hike/picnic but it's a 70+ minute drive in good weather. I like to hike in the snow but don't fancy the drive home in more than 1/2 foot of snow so I pulled the plug on today's hike with the group. I may hike in the local woods that are only 2 miles away.
      My dad was USAF fighter pilot and we spent 4 years at Selfridge, north of Detroit. We got some great photos of "Lake effect blizzards". I should have my parents scan in one of those and send it to all our Texas people who today are posting photos of the dusting of snow and chanting "MORE MORE!". One photo, the snow was higher than the car in our driveway. I'm sitting in the snow fort just beyond the driveway....you could just jump onto the roof, run over it to escape the invading hordes (my buddies).......We have similar photos of setting off 4th of July fire crackers in the snow/ice still in the shade of our house, Malmstrom USAF base, Great Falls MT. And Alaska......
    • rhjanes wrote:

Trillium wrote:

It's 20* here in SE MI with 3" already on the ground and another 6" set to fall in the next 6 hours. Was supposed to go on a hike/picnic but it's a 70+ minute drive in good weather. I like to hike in the snow but don't fancy the drive home in more than 1/2 foot of snow so I pulled the plug on today's hike with the group. I may hike in the local woods that are only 2 miles away.
      My dad was USAF fighter pilot and we spent 4 years at Selfridge, north of Detroit. We got some great photos of "Lake effect blizzards". I should have my parents scan in one of those and send it to all our Texas people who today are posting photos of the dusting of snow and chanting "MORE MORE!". One photo, the snow was higher than the car in our driveway. I'm sitting in the snow fort just beyond the driveway....you could just jump onto the roof, run over it to escape the invading hordes (my buddies).......We have similar photos of setting off 4th of July fire crackers in the snow/ice still in the shade of our house, Malmstrom USAF base, Great Falls MT. And Alaska......
      Was just talking to my dad today about time he spent in Alaska in the military and the conditions there.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Was just talking to my dad today about time he spent in Alaska in the military and the conditions there.
      We were at Elmendorf, Anchorage. So coastal. I think Detroit with lake effect and then Montana, were worse for snow pack.
      However at that time (Cold War) in Alaska there was three remote places that dad got to pull alert at! One was above the arctic circle....one was in a bend of the Yukon river, which flooded the base so they built a giant dyke around it.....funny stuff about one guy who was a big hunter type. He was up there and never "got my bear". One day on alert, he heard a bunch of noise over in the dump (they had to fly in the jet fuel and would just stack up the empty drums). He took his rifle and walked over to the dump....there was his Grizz! BANG....Got him a bear. This was in the late 50's early 60's.....and who was going to hand him a ticket for taking out a marauding bear.

They had to practice the start procedures on the planes and when and how much to open the alert hanger doors...open them to a minus WHAT before the plane was ready to taxi and then you had all sorts of problems. Hey, the Russians got airborne at -40, so can we!
    • I have only 4-5 inches in my yard, a bit of a disappointment. It rained afterwards and now there is a hard, heavy crust on top. Very unpleasant to shovel. I probably made a mistake in shoveling the walkway this morning, because it is still icing out and now I have a new layer of ice on the walk. I am heating up the cars now to try to make it easier to chip this stuff off.

I wonder what it is like in Harriman today?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • As I was out there shoveling my healthy 22 year old daughter trudged by me through the snow (I hate it when people walk on snow I am about to shovel) and said, "I have to go to the gym." I wonder if she saw the irony in this?

A half hour later my wife did the same thing, but she gets a pass.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I have only 4-5 inches in my yard, a bit of a disappointment. It rained afterwards and now there is a hard, heavy crust on top. Very unpleasant to shovel. I probably made a mistake in shoveling the walkway this morning, because it is still icing out and now I have a new layer of ice on the walk. I am heating up the cars now to try to make it easier to chip this stuff off.

I wonder what it is like in Harriman today?
      if i woke up to 4-5 inches in my yard i'd be disappointed too.
      2,000 miler
    • Crappy. The weather is crappy.

One-two inches of snow followed by freezing rain, followed by a deep freeze.

Could be worse though, I live on the Housatonic at the bottom of its valley. A mile away and just a couple hundred feet higher in elevation they got a fullblown ice storm complete with downed trees and power outages.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • the prez tweets...

[b]Donald J. Trump‏Verified account [/b]@realDonaldTrump
      FollowFollow @realDonaldTrump

More
      Be careful and try staying in your house. Large parts of the Country are suffering from tremendous amounts of snow and near record setting cold. Amazing how big this system is. Wouldn’t be bad to have a little of that good old fashioned Global Warming right now!
      4:59 AM - 20 Jan 2019
      2,000 miler
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Crappy. The weather is crappy.

Could be worse though, I live on the Housatonic at the bottom of its valley. A mile away and just a couple hundred feet higher in elevation they got a fullblown ice storm complete with downed trees and power outages.
      Over here we got about a foot and a half of snow, and it was -2 °F and blowing a gale when I walked to work this morning. I even decided to put on my facemask and goggles. And my Hillsounds, road salt does doodley-squat at this temperature. The locks on my poles froze up and they had to be at room temperature in my office for a few minutes before I could collapse them.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Over here we got about a foot and a half of snow, and it was -2 °F and blowing a gale when I walked to work this morning. I even decided to put on my facemask and goggles. And my Hillsounds, road salt does doodley-squat at this temperature. The locks on my poles froze up and they had to be at room temperature in my office for a few minutes before I could collapse them.
      Wow, AK that sounds pretty cold. How many w miles do you walk?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Wow, AK that sounds pretty cold. How many w miles do you walk?
      It's not that far, mile and a quarter or so each way, but that's still 20 minutes (counting the time waiting to cross one busy street). In subzero temps and high winds, 20 minutes of exposure already risks frostbite on exposed skin. I get strange looks from the security guards when I walk through the gate in that sort of weather! Although once, the guard looked positively envious and said, "At least one of us is warm!"

One of these days I'll get a proper fur-lined tunnel hood. Mostly, you don't need mask and goggles with those.

It's more ciivlized right now, about 25°F. But everything's a mass of ice, because we got just-over-freezing temps and torrential rains yesterday. I was surely glad to have my Hillsounds this morning, they were just starting to salt the roads in my subdivision during my commute.
    • I might break out my fur hat. It's the style with ear flaps and a square front. I got it years ago at a church bazaar for a buck. The lining has a dark patina and the only label is a faded tag that says "CHINA". I'm guessing it was pretty old when I got it 25 years ago. It is amazingly warm. I have sometimes thought there could be more discussion of using fur in UL winter backpacking. I would think this hat would perform as well or better than down, especially when damp, and not much heavier. Too bad the animal rights people have made wearing fur so un-cool. Down and leather production are just as leathal harvesting furs, and I'm pretty sure rabbits are not endangered in China.
    • odd man out wrote:

I might break out my fur hat. It's the style with ear flaps and a square front. I got it years ago at a church bazaar for a buck. The lining has a dark patina and the only label is a faded tag that says "CHINA". I'm guessing it was pretty old when I got it 25 years ago. It is amazingly warm. I have sometimes thought there could be more discussion of using fur in UL winter backpacking. I would think this hat would perform as well or better than down, especially when damp, and not much heavier. Too bad the animal rights people have made wearing fur so un-cool. Down and leather production are just as leathal harvesting furs, and I'm pretty sure rabbits are not endangered in China.
      Sounds like my Elmer Fudd hat. Mine is black and red plaid, sadly fake fur inside. The good ones have real rabbit fur inside. I had a leather one as a kid and wore it from November until March.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • When we were in Minnesota I wore a thin balaclava, a fleece neck gaiter, fleece head band, and a fleece hat and that kept my head warm enough to well below zero. Just doen't ask about my hands or feet.

Since this is the "what's the weather where you are" thread, I'll report that today was in the 40s,and moderetly windy with a high overcast .
      It was a nice enough day to go for a walk, so we did in a local county park. I'd guess we walked 4ish miles, give or take a little.
    • crap...

Snow could be coming to Cobb County on Tuesday, with north Cobb potentially getting over an inch and south Cobb getting up to an inch, according to the National Weather Service. The service put out a winter storm watch for north Georgia that lasts from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday.

“Travel could be very difficult,” the alert warns. “The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.”
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

crap...

Snow could be coming to Cobb County on Tuesday, with north Cobb potentially getting over an inch and south Cobb getting up to an inch, according to the National Weather Service. The service put out a winter storm watch for north Georgia that lasts from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday.

“Travel could be very difficult,” the alert warns. “The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.”
      “Travel could be very difficult,” doesn't sound so bad. Our warning for today is: "Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The bitterly cold wind chills as low as 20 below zero could cause frost bite on exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes." That's not including the part about 12" of snow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().