Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

• We got hammered in the Sunday storm. The drive back from NYC was white knuckled all the way. Power was out for three days, my wife was not happy.

Lots of damage up in the White Mountains, there are roads still closed, bridges lost. I expect extensive damage on some of the trails.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Currently snowing heavily and this is the forecast

Winter Storm Warning
      Issued: 3:35 PM MDT Nov. 1, 2017 – National Weather Service

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am MDT
      Thursday...

* what... heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10
      inches.

* Where... Red Lodge foothills and beartooth foothills.

* When... until 6 am Thursday. Snow will become lighter this
      evening.

* Additional details... travel along the foothills, including
      Highway 212 near Red Lodge, will be very difficult due to snow
      covered roads and poor visibility. Expect roads to turn icy
      tonight.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • Updated forecast

Winter Storm Watch
      Issued: 8:24 PM MDT Nov. 2, 2017 – National Weather Service

... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from 6 am MDT Friday
      through late Saturday night...

* what... heavy snow possible. Plan on difficult travel
      conditions. Total snow accumulations of 7 to 10 inches, with
      localized amounts up to 15 inches, are possible.

* Where... portions of central Montana and south central Montana.

* When... from Friday morning through late Saturday night.

* Additional details... significant reductions in visibility are
      possible.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
      snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue
      to monitor the latest forecasts.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • The weather here is ridiculous. It is 52 right now. Was 74 yesterday. More than 2/3 of the trees have all their leaves and those trees' leaves are all still green! Never, ever seen that before. Peak color time here is usually by 10/31. Haven't really had any color yet, just the junk trees dropping their "fruit" and acorns. OMG acorns. Like a carpet of acorns. All my pin oaks are fully leafed and completely green still. Same for the walnuts. The maples are just now turning, about two weeks late.

Both the rhodo's and the daffy's bloomed twice this year.

Going to cut the lawns at the home and office building this weekend. In November. And not one leaf to rake. That's a first. All the lawns are still green and growing. The vil just laid 40k ft2 of sod in the last two days at the new safety complex and park. In November. That's a first...and quite the gamble, except...no freeze forecast for the next two weeks, at least...

The groundhogs and raccoons have been abnormally active, which I would normally attribute to a coming hard winter, but I just don't see it. But, to be safe, the snowthrower goes into the shop for PM and a carb rebuild. Just in case.

I was just talking to an old friend yesterday about how when we were kids the hardware stores all had Flexible Flyer sleds, sliding saucers and other snow toys and we spent a lot of the winter in the snow. Now, you have to order any snow toys, no stores around here dare stock them. Now it's all ice storms, not blizzards. How can it be that the last real blizzard in these parts was in 1978? The majority of SUV's here have NEVER used their 4wd during the vehicle's life....

Global Warming-It's Real(tm)

The post was edited 1 time, last by ScareBear ().

• Where I grew up...in the Midwest, I used to hear the ‘old timers’ speak of blizzard like conditions with snowfall measured in feet rather than inches. All I encountered was inches of snow with frequent freezing rain. Although my experience is anecdotal, the climate is changing.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Astro wrote:

montana mac wrote:

This is the latest updated forecast. This will be on top of the 5" we got yesterday and the 6" we got a couple of days earlier. With the forecast temps it won't melt real soon.

So much for Global Warming for you. :D
      Gee, I think I will head out to the garden and pick some peas! We had a few light frosts but I still have quite a fall garden, first time I planted one. Picked broccoli and carrots yesterday and have some nice green onions and cabbage too. Weird weather for Pittsburgh, PA, but I am eating good!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Astro wrote:

montana mac wrote:

This is the latest updated forecast. This will be on top of the 5" we got yesterday and the 6" we got a couple of days earlier. With the forecast temps it won't melt real soon.

So much for Global Warming for you. :D
      Gee, I think I will head out to the garden and pick some peas! We had a few light frosts but I still have quite a fall garden, first time I planted one. Picked broccoli and carrots yesterday and have some nice green onions and cabbage too. Weird weather for Pittsburgh, PA, but I am eating good!
      Everything's got an up side, and hopefully it out weighs the down side
    • Did a ten mile hike yesterday. 73 degrees and cloudy. It would have topped 80 if the sun had come out at all.

Just took the dogs out...45 degrees. Yeah, it's STL. Don't like the weather? Wait 12 hours and it will change by 30 freaking degrees...high today only to be 50...only...it's November 6....ffs....

Tree report-Things are turning. Maples skipped the red phase and went straight to yellow it seems. Poplars and Sycamores are just now turning, most oaks are still green. All the lawns are still green. I'd say leafs on trees is still at or above 50 percent. Unreal. Got a mosquito bite. In November. Oh, and we had a thunderstorm with hail late in the day...in November...
    • As the lot is planted with several tree varieties. The leaves fall at different rates. Some years I let them accumulate then rake and others I rake as each leaf cycle completes. This year I’m raking in stages. But the gutters are choked.

Over the weekend hiked about eight miles in a combination of light mist, sunshine, and light breeze. Temps ranged from 40’s to 55 upon completion. As I bushwhacked a bit, found an enormous blackberry thicket untouched from the summer. Will hit it next season. I’m on my last quart of frozen blackberries from prior years.

Upper elevations were dusted with snow last week, but just frost at 4800’.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

The temperature forecast for last night was low 20's.
      So Kathy and I set up our tent in the backyard and slept outside.
      I used the Western Mountaineering Puma bag a got in the last couple of years, and was warm as toast :)
      I keep sayin’ I’m gonna do this :thumbup:

It’s easier when I’m 10 miles from nowhere...and my tent and bag are the warmest thing around. :D

Dropped to 24 degrees last night, today chilly and sunny.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jake Ace ().

• Had neighborhood block party with soup and chilli last night. Was down in the 30s. Couldn't help but think why didn't they do it last week when it was in the 60-70s and we had an extra hour of daylight.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I used the Western Mountaineering Puma bag a got in the last couple of years, and was warm as toast :)
      I keep sayin’ I’m gonna do this :thumbup:
      It’s easier when I’m 10 miles from nowhere...and my tent and bag are the warmest thing around. :D

Go ahead, do it.
      Then your neighbors will be sure that you are as crazy as they suspected :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I keep sayin’ I’m gonna do this :thumbup: It’s easier when I’m 10 miles from nowhere...and my tent and bag are the warmest thing around. :D

Go ahead, do it.Then your neighbors will be sure that you are as crazy as they suspected :D
      When I dragged one of my old hiking buddys on a snowy weekend trip many years ago, he borrowed a down bag from his older brother who told him “I thought Meat had more sense than that” :D
    • uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I keep sayin’ I’m gonna do this :thumbup: It’s easier when I’m 10 miles from nowhere...and my tent and bag are the warmest thing around. :D
      Go ahead, do it.Then your neighbors will be sure that you are as crazy as they suspected :D
      When I dragged one of my old hiking buddys on a snowy weekend trip many years ago, he borrowed a down bag from his older brother who told him “I thought Meat had more sense than that” :D
      I guess he didn't know you as well as we do. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've only met Uncle Meat once but he seemed as sane as the rest of the MLK group that year.
      Well, maybe that's not saying very much :S
      After all, how many people want to go out hiking and camping in the dead of winter
      easy, you’ll ruin the image I’ve tried so hard to aspire to. :D Next year for Halloween I’m thinking of adding a bridge over my costume.
    • New

Warmer than normal by about 10*F. Warming trend continues through the weekend.

Here's a pic of tonight's sunset. The colour lasted just a few moments and had to scramble to catch the spectrum.

Cannot explain the duplicate images, but as with Wrigley's spearmint gum, 'Double your pleasure'.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC