Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Had some great weather, even in the 70s the past few days. :thumbup:
      Unfortunately raining today. :thumbdown:
      It's been great hiking weather (unless pollen is an issue -- it's not for me) here in N. Ga the last few weeks. I've walked 4-5 miles around the neighborhood almost every day. Not the woods but at least able to get out. Started seeing more neighbors out in the last week.
      We get your rain tomorrow.
      My dad lives in Franklin, NC and when talking to him seems the weather most of the time moves east.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Last week great weather in 70s and 80s. My wife had me out helping her in the yard yesterday, which is a good thing because it is raining most of the day today.
      Now this coming week going to be 50s and 60s during the day and 30s at night. Tuesday night down to 31*. I have already put the electric blanket up twice this spring. :rolleyes:
    • Going to be a rough one tonight. Sometime after midnight it's going to get bad; 45% chance of winds 75 mph or higher and tornados are expected somewhere.

Prayers that the weather guessers are wrong. Never a good time to have your house hit by a tornado or having a tree fall on it, but going thru something like that during a pandemic would be horrible.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Going to be a rough one tonight. Sometime after midnight it's going to get bad; 45% chance of winds 75 mph or higher and tornados are expected somewhere.

Prayers that the weather guessers are wrong. Never a good time to have your house hit by a tornado or having a tree fall on it, but going thru something like that during a pandemic would be horrible.
      Tornado through LA this morning did damage to my niece's house, but nothing serious structurally (just things like outdoor fireplace chimney, AC units, and trampoline).

We had a bad one rip through Jonesboro a couple of weeks ago. Did a lot of damage to a mall, but because of timing (and COVID-19) it was empty fortunately. I believe just physical and financial damage.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Going to be a rough one tonight. Sometime after midnight it's going to get bad; 45% chance of winds 75 mph or higher and tornados are expected somewhere.

Tornado through LA this morning did damage to my niece's house, but nothing serious structurally (just things like outdoor fireplace chimney, AC units, and trampoline).
      We had a bad one rip through Jonesboro a couple of weeks ago. Did a lot of damage to a mall, but because of timing (and COVID-19) it was empty fortunately. I believe just physical and financial damage.
      Wow, close call for your niece. Glad it wasn't any worse than what it was.

I think I'm sleeping in the basement tonight. Never done that before.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Tornado through LA this morning did damage to my niece's house, but nothing serious structurally (just things like outdoor fireplace chimney, AC units, and trampoline).We had a bad one rip through Jonesboro a couple of weeks ago. Did a lot of damage to a mall, but because of timing (and COVID-19) it was empty fortunately. I believe just physical and financial damage.
      Wow, close call for your niece. Glad it wasn't any worse than what it was.
      I think I'm sleeping in the basement tonight. Never done that before.
      Prepare for the worst, and usually nothing happens. :)
      The year after Katrina blew through New Orleans, Rita was headed for Houston. So my sister-in-laws husband but plywood on all the windows and drives the family 500 miles to our house. Of course they had no damage, I actually had more at our house with a gutter drain I had to put back up. :rolleyes:
    • Typical Texas spring. It was 90 last Wednesday when I went to LBJ National Grasslands and hiked 8 miles with the dog. Sunday it was 83 degrees. Around 7 PM a cold front blew in. Temps dropped quick and winds were howling out of the NW. I was still in shorts and a T, but dog and I went for a quick 3 mile hike from 8 to 9. This morning it is 40 and a wind chill of 30. so a 40 degree drop overnight. Highs only around 50 today, 60 by Wednesday. But it's sunny
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I don't have to recap the horrible devastation and loss of life across the southeast last night/this morning as I'm sure everyone with an internet connection, car radio, or newspaper subscription knows the news by now.

On a personal level, the worst part of the evening/early morning hours was watching The Weather Channel and seeing what had happened and what was projected to happen. Other than that, just rain here. Didn't lose electricity and no one in the neighborhood lost any trees. When I went down to the basement at 1:30 am they had just spotted the first line of tornados/potential tornados in my area and they were about 20 miles NW of me. I learned I sleep much better in a tent than on a basement floor. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I don't have to recap the horrible devastation and loss of life across the southeast last night/this morning as I'm sure everyone with an internet connection, car radio, or newspaper subscription knows the news by now.

On a personal level, the worst part of the evening/early morning hours was watching The Weather Channel and seeing what had happened and what was projected to happen. Other than that, just rain here. Didn't lose electricity and no one in the neighborhood lost any trees. When I went down to the basement at 1:30 am they had just spotted the first line of tornados/potential tornados in my area and they were about 20 miles NW of me. I learned I sleep much better in a tent than on a basement floor. :)
      Did you forget to inflate your pad first?
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I don't have to recap the horrible devastation and loss of life across the southeast last night/this morning as I'm sure everyone with an internet connection, car radio, or newspaper subscription knows the news by now.

LOL, i was trying to minimize the amount of "stuff" to carry downstairs so I didn't use a pad (there was some foam flooring tiles already down there that I thot would be sufficient. It wasn't.) I also used an unopened bag of cat litter instead of a pillow. That was a mistake too. I went ultra-light. But I learned for next time! :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LOL, i was trying to minimize the amount of "stuff" to carry downstairs so I didn't use a pad (there was some foam flooring tiles already down there that I thot would be sufficient. It wasn't.) I also used an unopened bag of cat litter instead of a pillow. That was a mistake too. I went ultra-light. But I learned for next time! :)
      Chalk it up to stupid lite, but better in your basement than in the back country. :D
    • TZ is still without electricity after the tornado that ripped through Chattanooga.
      And this was supposed to be my son’s last week of college (he goes to UT Chattanooga) but they’ve had to cancel all classes and extend the year because of the damage. Dammit, I don’t think that kid is ever going to graduate!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

TZ is still without electricity after the tornado that ripped through Chattanooga.
      And this was supposed to be my son’s last week of college (he goes to UT Chattanooga) but they’ve had to cancel all classes and extend the year because of the damage. Dammit, I don’t think that kid is ever going to graduate!
      Surprised they did not go online like most universities have. It is a lot of extra work for the faculty, but the I personally feel the most for the sciences with the labs. Not very easy to replicate that online.
    • Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

TZ is still without electricity after the tornado that ripped through Chattanooga.
      Surprised they did not go online like most universities have. It is a lot of extra work for the faculty, but the I personally feel the most for the sciences with the labs. Not very easy to replicate that online.
      Oh, they did go to all online classes. Because so many are without power, they can’t require the students to finish their projects and exams so they’ve had to extend the year by a few weeks.

He is 28. He’s done this his way and in his own time, taking a few classes every semester and working at First Watch as a cook. It’s been a long road and I’m so excited for him to be done that I’ve been counting down the days.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Oh, they did go to all online classes. Because so many are without power, they can’t require the students to finish their projects and exams so they’ve had to extend the year by a few weeks.
      He is 28. He’s done this his way and in his own time, taking a few classes every semester and working at First Watch as a cook. It’s been a long road and I’m so excited for him to be done that I’ve been counting down the days.
      Well the end is finally in sight. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Trillium wrote:

It's snowing like a son of a gun here right now. We're supposed to receive 2". I don't mind, it looks so pretty.
      And probably not too woried about shoveling off the driveway right now. :)
      Correct. I've only driven twice in the past 4 weeks and both times were this week.

I had to go to the grocery store on Wednesday to replenish. Normally my husband goes but he slipped down the stairs last week and severely injured right above his knee. He had a telemed visit on Thursday and the doc said that since he can support his whole body weight on the leg, that none of the quad muscles or tendons to the patella are torn. He couldn't walk at all the day that it happened and had to crawl to the couch. Each day he has improved a teeny tiny bit but yesterday he was walking with only a bit of a limp.

Kroger says that only 7am-8am are for seniors but there were plenty of people younger than 55.

The other time I drove was to go to work on Thursday. I was finally deemed as essential as our department has their Budget session grilling with the authorizing body coming up and the boss requested that I come in to prepare the documentation needed.

Oh, one other time that I drove was last Saturday so that was really 3 times. I went to church for a drive through blessing of our Easter blessing basket.

Father was about 8' away from the car. Notice that he is wearing a Detroit Tigers face mask :)
    • The last time I drove the car was 4 weeks ago yesterday. I'm going to take it for a drive either today or tomorrow to give it some exercise :) and to let the battery recharge a bit.

When I parked it last time I backed into the garage to make it easier to jumpstart if it ever comes to that.

Speaking of driving, article in todays paper said that yesterday a motorcycle was clocked at 172 mph on Ga 400 but that he outran the police and escaped capture.
      2,000 miler
    • Wow I guess things are different depending on where you are. I have been driving to work 7 days a week. More work since converting everything to online. But most things the same other than no sit down eating or assembling of groups (such as church) and barbers and beauty shops shut down. No recreation sports leagues either.
    • max.patch wrote:

The last time I drove the car was 4 weeks ago yesterday. I'm going to take it for a drive either today or tomorrow to give it some exercise :) and to let the battery recharge a bit.

When I parked it last time I backed into the garage to make it easier to jumpstart if it ever comes to that.
      Kathy doesn't drive her old '78 VW very often either, especially during winter.
      One of these days I'm going to get a battery tender and just leave it plugged in to keep the battery charged up.
    • Something like 75 today and 80 tomorrow. I think I'll go hike the LBJ Grasslands tomorrow

I have two old cars. +1 to getting a Battery Tender for your car that sits a lot. Your battery will then last whatever it is expected to last (3 or 4 years). They come with a quick disconnect so I don't even open the hood to disconnect. Part of it stays on the battery and the cable just hangs a few inches out past the hood.

When you go drive "Cars that sit", make sure you drive for 20 to 30 minutes. Around the neighborhood, then out on a highway and get up to like 50 or 70 MPH. This gets all systems up to operating temp and burns off moisture.
    • LIhikers wrote:

70 mph ?
      Our old VW is lucky to get to 60 going down hill and with the wind. I once knew someone with an even older VW bus who got a speeding ticket. They used a photocopy to pay the fine and framed the original speeding ticket...lol
      LOL. How about "Do the best you can do". Point really is to drive it long enough to get everything hot, operating temperatures. That means gear box/auto, rear gears, shoot even the shocks need "exercise". And maintain the temps for a time so the exhaust also gets hot to try and boil out moisture. In the middle of a Texas summer, I wait for the temperature gauge to hit normal, then turn on the defroster for 5 minutes. That even circulates hot water thru the heater core.

One of my Mustangs (1970 Mach 1, 428 cubic inches of Cobra Jet with Ram Air) idles at 35 MPH.....
    • rhjanes wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

70 mph ?
      Our old VW is lucky to get to 60 going down hill and with the wind. I once knew someone with an even older VW bus who got a speeding ticket. They used a photocopy to pay the fine and framed the original speeding ticket...lol
      LOL. How about "Do the best you can do". Point really is to drive it long enough to get everything hot, operating temperatures. That means gear box/auto, rear gears, shoot even the shocks need "exercise". And maintain the temps for a time so the exhaust also gets hot to try and boil out moisture. In the middle of a Texas summer, I wait for the temperature gauge to hit normal, then turn on the defroster for 5 minutes. That even circulates hot water thru the heater core.
      One of my Mustangs (1970 Mach 1, 428 cubic inches of Cobra Jet with Ram Air) idles at 35 MPH.....
      Must be nice to have a stable of Mustangs. 8)