Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Most Alaskan structures are built for severe weather. Furthermore a good sweater, wool slippers, and an efficient wood stove goes a long way towards ensuring comfort when in Alaska.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Most Alaskan structures are built for severe weather. Furthermore a good sweater, wool slippers, and an efficient wood stove goes a long way towards ensuring comfort when in Alaska.
      Have been to 47 of 50 states. Definitely plan to catch Alaska in the summer. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • After the past week when it did not get above freezing some days, it is going hit the 60s Wednesday and Thursday. Should be able to roll up some miles as long as I can avoid the rain.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Oh... my room was warm and humid when I checked in. I'd appreciate some sympathy from my East Coast peeps...
      OK, you can have my sympathy.It's so cold here that I can't get it started, anyway...lol :D
      Turned down the A/C too far and now my room is a bit chilly. Is there no end to this hell ?!?!?!? :evil:
      Actually, I'd much rather be at home with a heavy sweater and my down booties than here. I'm not so sure of the food options.

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Singapore-Malaysia-Trip-118/i-gzmQdLz/1/2dcfe0e0/M/20180106_093106-M.jpg]
      It's a hot dog stand, right?
    • Hang in there folks - summer is just around the corner. Or a quick 30 hours of flying time...

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Singapore-Malaysia-Trip-118/i-3kFxScv/0/97ca77d7/M/20180107_131439-M.jpg]
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Dan76 wrote:

Most Alaskan structures are built for severe weather. Furthermore a good sweater, wool slippers, and an efficient wood stove goes a long way towards ensuring comfort when in Alaska.
      It's the walking outside and filling your lungs with freezing air that is the hard part.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

the forest service responsible for the AT in georgia basically said yesterday if ya don't know what you're doing stay home.

WINTER WEATHER WARNING! Extreme Cold Weather Predicted This Weekend - Emergency Response Assistance May Be Unavailable Along Georgia’s Appalachian Trail and High Elevations of the Chattahoochee National Forest

The Forest Service is advising hikers unprepared for severe winter conditions to stay off trails this weekend for personal safety and to avoid further stress on local emergency responders who very likely will not be able to respond to trail emergencies because of unsafe and inaccessible conditions due to the winter storm.
      Translation: We're staying in, It's cold as hell out there, your F---in on your own.

Today's weather. Started out at minus 4 this morning in North Reading. I took my daughter into Boston for Dim Sum today and by noon time she was walking the streets of Chinatown in just a light sweater. "It's really nice out now, it's warmed up quite a bit" we agreed. When we got back to the car the temperature still only read +10 F.

Everything is relative.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

the forest service responsible for the AT in georgia basically said yesterday if ya don't know what you're doing stay home.

WINTER WEATHER WARNING! Extreme Cold Weather Predicted This Weekend - Emergency Response Assistance May Be Unavailable Along Georgia’s Appalachian Trail and High Elevations of the Chattahoochee National Forest

The Forest Service is advising hikers unprepared for severe winter conditions to stay off trails this weekend for personal safety and to avoid further stress on local emergency responders who very likely will not be able to respond to trail emergencies because of unsafe and inaccessible conditions due to the winter storm.
      Translation: We're staying in, It's cold as hell out there, your F---in on your own.
      Today's weather. Started out at minus 4 this morning in North Reading. I took my daughter into Boston for Dim Sum today and by noon time she was walking the streets of Chinatown in just a light sweater. "It's really nice out now, it's warmed up quite a bit" we agreed. When we got back to the car the temperature still only read +10 F.

Everything is relative.
      Saw on the tele today pictures of the Boston flooded streets, and cars frozen in and under about 4 foot of ice...’ammmmn! Kinda surrealistically apocalyptic and makes one think that an ice age or nuclear winter would not be a good thing.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Translation: We're staying in, It's cold as hell out there, your F---in on your own.Today's weather. Started out at minus 4 this morning in North Reading. I took my daughter into Boston for Dim Sum today and by noon time she was walking the streets of Chinatown in just a light sweater. "It's really nice out now, it's warmed up quite a bit" we agreed. When we got back to the car the temperature still only read +10 F.

Everything is relative.
      Saw on the tele today pictures of the Boston flooded streets, and cars frozen in and under about 4 foot of ice...’ammmmn! Kinda surrealistically apocalyptic and makes one think that an ice age or nuclear winter would not be a good thing.
      I am sure they will blame it on Global Warming.

Bo Peep wrote:

It’s a balmy 30*...
      My wife made a similar comment. She said 18 degrees and no wind felt pretty nice.
      A while back I participated in a snowmobile tour of Yellowstone during January. The trip was scheduled to start at daybreak, but we delayed as our guide declared -50* was unsafe for travel. He waited until the temp rose to -40* to start. Traveling most of the morning, we arrived at Old Faithful about noon. By then the sun was on full display and the temp reached 0*. Several of us partook of lunch while awaiting the eruption of OF. To a person, we soon removed our snowmobile suits and opened jackets as we were overly warm.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm taking a break from shoveling snow and splitting and hauling fire wood.
      I'm feeling like I might be getting too old for this fun
      Sure glad Kathy's not the kind of women who shies away from hard, physical, labor as she's been a big help! :)
      It's gonna be a 2 ibuprofen kinda night tonight.
      Ha, just took 3 :D I’m beat! Glad my baby got back as well? See comes from strong stock and has great cardio. But like you, I still worry, shoveling snow isn’t for older folks, and if I die my wife’ll kill me!
      My wife has already told me that when I die she's going to get a second dog ;(
    • Dan76 wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

It’s a balmy 30*...
      My wife made a similar comment. She said 18 degrees and no wind felt pretty nice.
      A while back I participated in a snowmobile tour of Yellowstone during January. The trip was scheduled to start at daybreak, but we delayed as our guide declared -50* was unsafe for travel. He waited until the temp rose to -40* to start. Traveling most of the morning, we arrived at Old Faithful about noon. By then the sun was on full display and the temp reached 0*. Several of us partook of lunch while awaiting the eruption of OF. To a person, we soon removed our snowmobile suits and opened jackets as we were overly warm.
      I guess it just a matter of perspective. :)
    • years ago my wife at the time and i were skiing at big sky. took a day off and rented snowmobiles (not a tour) and also went to old faithful in yellowstone. i don't know what the temp was -- but it certainly wasn't anything close to 50 below -- cuz if it was we woulda stayed in the lodge! big sky country is beautiful. gotta return when there's no snow on the ground

there was a thread -- long since deleted -- on whiteblaze in which some of the blowhards said snowmobiles should be banned. phuck em!!!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

years ago my wife at the time and i were skiing at big sky. took a day off and rented snowmobiles (not a tour) and also went to old faithful in yellowstone. i don't know what the temp was -- but it certainly wasn't anything close to 50 below -- cuz if it was we woulda stayed in the lodge! big sky country is beautiful. gotta return when there's no snow on the ground

there was a thread -- long since deleted -- on whiteblaze in which some of the blowhards said snowmobiles should be banned. phuck em!!!
      ...in da adze. finger.gif
      Sleet and snow, temps dropping
    • We are supposed to backpack this weekend on the Pinhoti, temps saturday night supposed to be 20* at the closest town, most likely teens in the mountains, I believe I'd be okay now that I have a sock for my hammock but I'm pretty sure my hiking partner would be miserable, believe I'll try to convince her to postpone.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • We are supposed to backpack this weekend on the Pinhoti, temps saturday night supposed to be 20* at the closest town, most likely teens in the mountains, I believe I'd be okay now that I have a sock for my hammock but I'm pretty sure my hiking partner would be miserable, believe I'll try to convince her to postpone.
      We are supposed to backpack this weekend on the Pinhoti, temps saturday night supposed to be 20* at the closest town, most likely teens in the mountains, I believe I'd be okay now that I have a sock for my hammock but I'm pretty sure my hiking partner would be miserable, believe I'll try to convince her to postpone.
      Well, looks like we're still in for 3 days and 2 nights this weekend, says she's done this before and no problem, I'm afraid she may be tougher than I.
    • Dan76 wrote:

From which direction was the wind blowing. What was the cloud coverage % initially prior to the sudden temp rise?
      Overcast prior. Frontal boundary came NW-SE. Humidity dropped 35 percent as well. The cloud wall was under 1000 feet. The temperatures had been steady for two days in upper 50's/low 60's.

Again, I've been a lot of places doing a lot of things in my life. I've never seen a 24 degree drop in 24 minutes. Blew my mind. Oh, and the wind was 40mph+ when the boundary came in....
    • Departed Singapore Friday morning with temps in the low 70's. Walked off the plane in Harrisburg Friday evening to temps in the low 60's. Woke up Saturday morning to below-freezing temps that continued to drop through the day. 14 degrees here in Central PA this morning.

Departed Singapore Friday morning with temps in the low 70's. Walked off the plane in Harrisburg Friday evening to temps in the low 60's. Woke up Saturday morning to below-freezing temps that continued to drop through the day. 14 degrees here in Central PA this morning.
      Glad you had a safe trip back and hope the drastic change in temperatures does not make you sick.
    • Drybones wrote:

We are supposed to backpack this weekend on the Pinhoti, temps saturday night supposed to be 20* at the closest town, most likely teens in the mountains, I believe I'd be okay now that I have a sock for my hammock but I'm pretty sure my hiking partner would be miserable, believe I'll try to convince her to postpone.
      Well, looks like we're still in for 3 days and 2 nights this weekend, says she's done this before and no problem, I'm afraid she may be tougher than I.
      Was a very cold hike, forecast was for a low of 20* at the nearest town, I'm guessing it got down to around 12* where we were, our water was rock hard in the morning, too cold for Bethany's stove to function, took me forever to light my alcohol stove, had trouble even getting a lighter to light. Bethany's sleeping pad leaked so she spent much of the night blowing up her pad, she put it on the ground to lay beside the fire that afternoon, I'm guessing that's where the leak came from.As a result of the faulty sleeping pad we had to do two scheduled days in one and double time it out...I'm hurting big time this morning.