Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

whats the weather where you are?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I just came in from splitting firewood. There's a high cloud cover that I'd call mostly cloudy. The best/worst part (depending on your outlook) is that it hit 51 degrees on my digital, outdoor, thermometer. I sure hope winter isn't over yet.
      Matter of perspective. To me 51 is winter, and I am always hoping for it to end as soon as possible. :)
      I guess, but having slept outdoors in below -30 F gives you a different perspective on winter.
    • This part of Texas has a few nice days after a weekend of cold rain (Cold for Texas is below 50). I head out to Cooper Lake State Park on Thursday to deploy orienteering gear. It's to be 70 and sunny. Friday some rain chances. Our event is Saturday.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • My orienteering buddy and I went out to SID Richardson Scout Ranch on Lake Bridgeport, Texas, on Monday 2/26/2024. It got up to 93 degrees, on February 26. We were navigating and finding the locations for the controls for the event and flagging them with plastic construction flagging tape. Around noon it was feeling very hot. On advice of the ranger, we sat in the dining hall and the AC was running. It felt great. After that I seemed to acclimate and didn't feel all that hot in the afternoon. But a breeze was up and we were attempting to stay hydrated. we only got 24 of the 83 locations flagged. It's a 2 day meet in late March. We are thinking to return thus Friday when it will be a more seasonable 72 degrees. We have an orienteering event this Saturday but neither of us cares much for the venue, a city park full of trash and even some homeless camps. But we need to go as we need to bring back the electronic timing gear and the club gear trailer as our event at SID will be the next official event.
    • We have one daffodil blooming on the south side of the house. I don't think it's going to like the 20 degree low overnight.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I've been trying to start walking again. Winter always leaves me fat, lazy and out of shape. Just snuck in a 4-mile walk along the beach between rain showers today while at work.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I've been trying to start walking again. Winter always leaves me fat, lazy and out of shape. Just snuck in a 4-mile walk along the beach between rain showers today while at work.
      Dean Wurmer: "Son, fat, lazy and out of shape is no way to go through life."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I've been trying to start walking again. Winter always leaves me fat, lazy and out of shape. Just snuck in a 4-mile walk along the beach between rain showers today while at work.
      Dean Wurmer: "Son, fat, lazy and out of shape is no way to go through life."
      Followed by....

"Well......WELL!!!!........OUT WITH IT"
      (splat)
    • I had weather-whiplash this week. Mowed my back and side yard Monday afternoon before making a trip to Syracuse. Landed to find plowed snow piles in the parking lots. Returned to Cincy last night and back to mowing this afternoon.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

I had weather-whiplash this week. Mowed my back and side yard Monday afternoon before making a trip to Syracuse. Landed to find plowed snow piles in the parking lots. Returned to Cincy last night and back to mowing this afternoon.
      I hear ya! Not as bad here in Tx. Today, I'm mowing our half acre for the second time this year. Trimming back a lot of bushes also. It is to be around 74 today. A few days ago it was 34 over night with a high of 55 but a wind chill of 45. Oh, we have 25 MPH south winds today, gusting to 40. Guess using the leaf blower to clear off the driveways and walk is......whoops....mother nature just blew all the clippings about 3 miles.....
    • New

I had two busted lawn gear. I did the yard on Friday because of RAIN due Saturday. My blower, the ignitor (coil) gave up. It was just $20 more to replace it. They replaced the fuel lines in my string trimmer. I got almost done trimming, hit the head to release more string and....the head (plastic) started coming apart. Dang thing is only about 10 years old! Cheap plastic..(JK). I finished up and bought a new string head.
      Today, it's been pouring rain and 50. DFW is up to about 3 inches already, still pouring and due for another 4 hours.
    • New

rhjanes wrote:

I had two busted lawn gear. I did the yard on Friday because of RAIN due Saturday. My blower, the ignitor (coil) gave up. It was just $20 more to replace it. They replaced the fuel lines in my string trimmer. I got almost done trimming, hit the head to release more string and....the head (plastic) started coming apart. Dang thing is only about 10 years old! Cheap plastic..(JK). I finished up and bought a new string head.
      and the old guy says "they just don't make things like they used to" :D
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

That the TRUTH all you young whipper-snapers....
      Actually, we have half an acre and our yard equipment gets a workout. It's Texas so we are mowing from March thru November.
    • New

rhjanes wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

That the TRUTH all you young whipper-snapers....Actually, we have half an acre and our yard equipment gets a workout. It's Texas so we are mowing from March thru November.
      One of the benefits of moving from our old house of 1.5 acres to our brand new one with only 1/3 acre. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

odd man out wrote:

my old Toro mower died last spring. The mower worked fine but the self propel drive belt would not stay on. So I replaced it with a battery powered electric mower. It's so much lighter than a ICE, it seems like a toy. I have a 2/3 acre lawn. It takes about 2 to 3 charges to finish.
      How long does a charge take? I was using an electric mower at my sisters 1/3 acre but it was a plug in one. I just had to work it so I was moving away from the plug and so dragging the power cord.

I have five "mowers". I'm somewhat allergic to cut grass so I get after it and "Git 'R Done" ASAP. I'd not want to wait for batteries to recharge.
      We have a rider (4 cycle), I've worn out one in the 38 years living here, a Toro GTS push mower that is probably 20 years old. It has a self propelled part but no belt I see, just gears. I only use it when I'm walking a distance with it. But it only mows a few areas where the rider can't fit. A 4-stroke walk behind edger because we have two concrete driveways, one is 150 feet long. Then a two stroke string trimmer and a new 2-stroke blower, for all those driveways, porch and patio.
    • New

it charges fast. Haven't timed it, but if I go in for lunch, or do another chore, it will usually be charged by the time I get back to mowing. Since I am retiring this year, I figure I would have time to mow just part of the yard in the AM, part in the PM, part the next day. With a flexible schedule, it's not much of an issue.