Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Day Hiking on the BMT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I did it wrong. After hiking to Big Fodderstack, I have completed all the trail from Unicoi Gap to Farr Gap, except for a 3 mile section between Cherry Log Gap to the south of Big Fodderstack. The only way to hike that section, as far as I can tell, is to add about 6 miles from the trailhead at the Beech Gap parking lot, making for an 18 mi there and back.

I can do an easy overnight or I can make this my highest mileage day so far. It's pretty flat in this area and I've been able to jog parts of it. I''m thinking about buying a running, hydration pack and going minimal...only taking food, water, first aid, map, and car key (definitely stepping out of my comfort zone).

If looking for a day pack, REI is having a Close Out Sale on GoLite Rush's. This link is the 14L, but they also have 10L and 20L (what I bought soon before GoLite went under).

rei.com/product/884397/golite-…73j_dc|pcrid|55518619600|

do you like it? i tried to order it just before they went belly up and got the usual "out of stock" notification.

I love mine. It's almost perfect. I would have liked a zipper on the hip belt pocket.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I did it wrong. After hiking to Big Fodderstack, I have completed all the trail from Unicoi Gap to Farr Gap, except for a 3 mile section between Cherry Log Gap to the south of Big Fodderstack. The only way to hike that section, as far as I can tell, is to add about 6 miles from the trailhead at the Beech Gap parking lot, making for an 18 mi there and back.

I can do an easy overnight or I can make this my highest mileage day so far. It's pretty flat in this area and I've been able to jog parts of it. I''m thinking about buying a running, hydration pack and going minimal...only taking food, water, first aid, map, and car key (definitely stepping out of my comfort zone).

If looking for a day pack, REI is having a Close Out Sale on GoLite Rush's. This link is the 14L, but they also have 10L and 20L (what I bought soon before GoLite went under).

do you like it? i tried to order it just before they went belly up and got the usual "out of stock" notification.

Yes, for the price it is great. I have looked at Osprey and believe their design is better, but at a much higher price (and more weight).

The way they economize on the design of the hydration system you need to be careful to make sure it is closed tight, and I find the little open pockets on the hip belt useless. But other than that, I have been very happy with it. Great for day trips, and during the summer I plan to use it for some overnight trips.

And FWIW I bought it based upon Rasty's recommendation (I believe he has the 14L), so that is another happy customer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Yes, for the price it is great. I have looked at Osprey and believe their design is better, but at a much higher price (and more weight).

The way they economize on the design of the hydration system you need to be careful to make sure it is closed tight, and I find the little open pockets on the hip belt useless. But other than that, I have been very happy with it. Great for day trips, and during the summer I plan to use it for some overnight trips.

And FWIW I bought it based upon Rasty's recommendation (I believe he has the 14L), so that is another happy customer.

I tossed the hydration bladder and just use smart water bottles.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Ya'll talked me into it. You people are a bad influence. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

What color?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

I never use a hydration bladder.
      When I was selling them at an outfitters, I never discouraged anyone from buying but advised people that until they were experienced in their own water consumption rates (everyone is different), that they should carry about a pint of water in a bottle as a backup. Aside from cleaning issues it has been my observation that the biggest negative on a bladder is not knowing how much is left and one day you're going to suck on the tube and there is nothing left.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hey, we are a great influence on your gear selection. :thumbup:
      Now as for your budget, we may not be such a great influence. :thumbdown:
      But just remember all the money you saved compared to an Osprey. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hey, we are a great influence on your gear selection. :thumbup:
      Now as for your budget, we may not be such a great influence. :thumbdown:
      But just remember all the money you saved compared to an Osprey. :D

Can't contemplate justifying the cost of an Osprey day pack
      Dr. Seuss Cof123