Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What did Trail Angel's deliver (favorite memories)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What did Trail Angel's deliver (favorite memories)

Simple question.... You are hiking and I get the camaraderie and the hanging out, Its sort of like Santa making it snow... So When you came upon a trail angel - what did they deliver?

1. coolers with nasty beer in a stream doesn't count.
      2. Folks standing next to a cooler and having a conversation does....
      3. I want to hear about the Appalachian Hero's - tell good stories.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

For me... A Trail Angel is one who picks up the trash when they see it on the trail. It doesn't have to be a designated person. They are simply a person who leaves the trail looking a bit better than when they found it.

I go out on the trail to hike, and enjoy just being outdoors. If I can't bring enough food to feed myself, then I shouldn't be out there.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

LoboSolo wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

what is a trail angel?

for me its a red tail flying in front of the sun. gives it that halo effect.
      cool. there's nothin' angelic about someone who idolizes folks on a walkin' vacation. these fanatics should feed the truly needy
      hey now. ive seen more than a few thru hikers who were truly needy.maybe clueless is a better word.
      its all good

i dunno maybe a day or two before i hit damascus, me starfail and homebrew came upon a cooler filled with bottles of pepsi on ice. it was a mild day, and they tasted great. as we were sitting around i started to laugh.they asked why, and i told them watch, some thru is gonna come up open the cooler and say, fuck, no coke.
      sure enough 10 minute later this guy barberosa(we later named him wompwomp for his bad jokes), anyway he opens the cooler looks inside and says "fuck, no coke". we couldnt stop laughing and he of course was clueless
      fuckin hysterical.
      its all good

My best-est Angels came to see me, and give me a hand sewn ditty bag full of cool stuff..advil, bandaids,chocolates, matches, ect...and hiker Mom sent along some Carmel Popcorn and warm thoughts...made my day!
      :)
      Thanks Teacher and Snacktime, and Hikermom.

hikerboy wrote:

i dunno maybe a day or two before i hit damascus, me starfail and homebrew came upon a cooler filled with bottles of pepsi on ice. it was a mild day, and they tasted great. as we were sitting around i started to laugh.they asked why, and i told them watch, some thru is gonna come up open the cooler and say, fuck, no coke.
      sure enough 10 minute later this guy barberosa(we later named him wompwomp for his bad jokes), anyway he opens the cooler looks inside and says "fuck, no coke". we couldnt stop laughing and he of course was clueless
      fuckin hysterical.
      timing is everything...to funny

Sorry LW.
      I have to sort of disagree with you on this one.
      A trail angel is anyone who gives an uplifting experience to a hiker - section or thru variety.
      Coolers of coke are nice but all sorts of things count.
      You are an angel in a gruff sort of way.
      A shuttle (not necessarily free but at least not dear), an offer to take your trash, a sharing of food and/or drink are all the stuff trail angels do.
      "Entitled" hikers on the AT are a pain but that is for the starry eyed angels to find out for themselves.
      The best trail angels are called maintainers.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

yw RS I lika you buddy!!... I believe that when people form bonds with others they want to express their love for one another, so there's that. :cheer:

Thank you Teacher for my trail magic. I have enjoyed the coffee syrup... it's almost gone. We made the johnny cakes for Thanksgiving dinner... it was a huge hit! I can't wait to make more. I thought I was going to make some for Coach and Overload to try but we ended up eating at Cracker Barrel instead. I love you and Snacktime, Teach... thanks a million!

My story on this subject- I've told this before.... I didn't know anything about the AT before my daughter was interested in hiking it. I learned everything I know about trail magic & trail angels from her telling me all about it after she hiked her first 500 miles. This type of behavior goes right along with my personality & I wanted to pay it forward. I'm one grateful mom for all the kindness that was shown to my daughter.

I'm an extrovert & I love meeting new people. I love to hike myself. That's about it! :side:

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I can't vote. I have never met one. I have seen coolers left. If it were not for that I would not believe in them.
      angels didn't leave them. packsniffers did :)

Okay. I no longer believe in trail angels. I believe in packsniffers. Thank you oh wondrous packsniffer, whoever you were. 49.gif
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

OzJacko wrote:

Sorry LW.
      I have to sort of disagree with you on this one.
      A trail angel is anyone who gives an uplifting experience to a hiker - section or thru variety.
      Coolers of coke are nice but all sorts of things count.
      You are an angel in a gruff sort of way.
      A shuttle (not necessarily free but at least not dear), an offer to take your trash, a sharing of food and/or drink are all the stuff trail angels do.
      "Entitled" hikers on the AT are a pain but that is for the starry eyed angels to find out for themselves.
      The best trail angels are called maintainers.

Call them what you want, I believe in them. The trail crews are the best. I am fine with walking over the hill in its natural form, but what these people do is worthy of thanks. I praised every crew I met until they were embarrassed.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Oz, big shout out to "Dragonfly Annie" for making the beads in Teacher and Snacktimes trail magic goody bags...very nice. please pass that along.

PS I don't post on face book, but saw some of Teachers pictures...Yes I am definitely "puffin out the puffy" I can't seem to get it in check....walkin my but off, so I got big belly..and no ass :lol: