Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Outside the box Corn

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Outside the box Corn

Just sharing.... I am digging deep into American Indian foods and FBC and drying. Tonight I did several tests, and please do not make the same mistake and do this on a empty stomach. You will consume so much while making this.. its worse than eating popcorn at a movie theater.

OK blanching is key start with sweet corn if you can get it... most farmers in PA use Cleopatra for seed, this is not cow feed on any means. Ya cant get it at the supermarket - but if that is what you have that's OK - I am sharing what clearly is the best flavor and variety.

Here is he first test - Shop-rite Golden Corn can 15 ounces - 10 drained and washed. dumped into a small pot - added fresh water - a " dollop of Agave" into the water and a grinder of Sea Salt. - flash heated 3 minutes at boil. Drain and spread on trays. Oh the trays? spray butter nonstick for a better flavor. OMG! 1.5 hours and very addictive 1/2 cup prior to dry is 85 calories that can be FBC or doubled. In short a 1 cup soft dried 170 KCAL and less than 5 oz in packaging.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Ouch no replies? OK I am so hurt... OK never mind - it was brief...

The corn after drying delivers 200 kcal per serving better than many other foods... just like corn flakes it very sticky but a cup of boiling water rehydrate and the sugar and salt does stick to the sides and impart flavor. The best part is super light and can be soft dried - Indians did this, and it makes a great meal.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: