Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What will your next pack be?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

What will you next pack be? I've been looking at the ULA CDT and the ULA OHM 2.0 for a summer pack. I would continue to use the ULA Circuit during the winter.

That's what I'm doing now, Circuit for shoulder seasons, and Ohm2 for summer. The Ohm 2 is getting to be a bit big for me with my summer load, and I'm thinking CDT or a ZPack Arc Blast. Saw a bunch of the latter on the trail this summer and started feeling a bit of pack lust ... 16 vs 29 ozs for the 45 cu in model, and still capable of humping up to 30 lbs. Thats 13 ozs lighter, and at $275 it's "only" $21/oz in savings - Not bad for cuben ...

Maybe I'll probably just compress the Ohm2 a bit ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I'm going the other way right now. I'd like to get a reasonably light 80-90litre pack for serious winter trips.

I just did that too.
      I got the Gregory Baltoro 75. It's just shy of 6 pounds but very comfortable. It's what I had during our winter Harriman trip. To make plenty of interior room I usually carry my tent and sleeping pad on the outside. That ways there's room for the 3 sleeping bags I carry in winter, 2 for me and 1 for the dog, plus food and clothes. I think Gregory has some packs with more than the 75 liters.
    • LDog wrote:

shoulder season

Okay, I keep seeing this term. Since this seems to be a place where people actually answer questions instead of just making stupid comments about search bars and FAQs, I'll ask.

What the hell is shoulder season?

P.S. - Obviously I know and appreciate the difference between stupid comments and smartass, so of course feel free to bombard with smartass answers. gif.013.gif
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

LDog wrote:

shoulder season

Okay, I keep seeing this term. Since this seems to be a place where people actually answer questions instead of just making stupid comments about search bars and FAQs, I'll ask.

What the hell is shoulder season?

P.S. - Obviously I know and appreciate the difference between stupid comments and smartass, so of course feel free to bombard with smartass answers. gif.013.gif

Fall and early spring where the temps are mild during the day and can get cold at night
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • LDog wrote:

Rasty wrote:

What will you next pack be? I've been looking at the ULA CDT and the ULA OHM 2.0 for a summer pack. I would continue to use the ULA Circuit during the winter.

That's what I'm doing now, Circuit for shoulder seasons, and Ohm2 for summer. The Ohm 2 is getting to be a bit big for me with my summer load, and I'm thinking CDT or a ZPack Arc Blast. Saw a bunch of the latter on the trail this summer and started feeling a bit of pack lust ... 16 vs 29 ozs for the 45 cu in model, and still capable of humping up to 30 lbs At $275 that works out to 13 ozs and $21/oz in savings - Not bad for cuben ...

But I'll probably just compress the Ohm2 a bit ...

I got my Arc

LDog wrote:

Rasty wrote:

That's what I'm doing now, Circuit for shoulder seasons, and Ohm2 for summer. The Ohm 2 is getting to be a bit big for me with my summer load, and I'm thinking CDT or a ZPack Arc Blast. Saw a bunch of the latter on the trail this summer and started feeling a bit of pack lust ... 16 vs 29 ozs for the 45 cu in model, and still capable of humping up to 30 lbs At $275 that works out to 13 ozs and $21/oz in savings - Not bad for cuben ...

But I'll probably just compress the Ohm2 a bit ...

I got my Arc Blast a couple of months ago, and it is awesome... It is my 3rd pack from Joe, all customized to my spec's, and he has hit a home run (that's for Astro) Stick has posted a couple of Youtube vid's on it... I have had 28lbs in it for a 7 day hike, and the ability to manipulate the "Arc" as you eat down the weight for comfort is unmatched, IMHO, right now...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • I don't see myself as getting a new pack unless the Catalyst breaks in some way and I would get another Circuit to replace it.
      Annie now has an Osprey Aura 50 for our Camino, as well as a Circuit which I am recommending to her as probably a better Bibbulmun pack.
      I see the pockets etc of the ULA's being just too convenient to want to lose them and we can fill the extra space by not compressing clothes or sleeping bag as we will do on the Camino.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • LDog wrote:

Toli wrote:

I got my Arc Blast a couple of months ago, and it is awesome...

What size did you get? I'm thinking the 45L ...

I have the 52L with the roll down top, so I can make it as small, or big as I like... Plus, all the attachments from my Exos, Joe's first attempt at a "framed" pack, fit, hip belt pockets, side mesh pockets, shoulder strap pockets and he made me a custom, small chest pocket out of Tan Cuben... Oh, the Daisy chain too...

• Toli wrote:

I have the 52L with the roll down top, so I can make it as small, or big as I like...

I see the 52 is only a half ounce heavier than the 45. I'm looking for a pack with less volume than my Ohm2, and the manufacturers make it hard to compare. The Ohm2 main body is 2100ci / 34.4L (not including the extended collar). The ZPack 45L body is 5.5" x 12.5" x 30", which works out to 33.8. Pretty comparable in volume, (unless Zpacks measurements include the collar). But a weight savings of 13 ozs, and a mesh screen for air flow across the back is pretty inviting for summer hiking ...

Toli wrote:

Plus, all the attachments from my Exos, Joe's first attempt at a "framed" pack, fit, hip belt pockets, side mesh pockets, shoulder strap pockets and he made me a custom, small chest pocket out of Tan Cuben... Oh, the Daisy chain too...

I do like the hip belt and shoulder strap pockets. I'd probably spring for the load lifters, and a couple of their dry bags ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LDog wrote:

Toli wrote:

I have the 52L with the roll down top, so I can make it as small, or big as I like...

I see the 52 is only a half ounce heavier than the 45. I'm looking for a pack with less volume than my Ohm2, and the manufacturers make it hard to compare. The Ohm2 main body is 2100ci / 34.4L (not including the extended collar). The ZPack 45L body is 5.5" x 12.5" x 30", which works out to 33.8. Pretty comparable in volume, (unless Zpacks measurements include the collar). But a weight savings of 13 ozs, and a mesh screen for air flow across the back is pretty inviting for summer hiking ...

Toli wrote:

Plus, all the attachments from my Exos, Joe's first attempt at a "framed" pack, fit, hip belt pockets, side mesh pockets, shoulder strap pockets and he made me a custom, small chest pocket out of Tan Cuben... Oh, the Daisy chain too...

I do like the hip belt and shoulder strap pockets. I'd probably spring for the load lifters, and a couple of their dry bags ...

Yep, I got the load lifters and haul loop, too... Well worth the few extra g's and coin... My hip belt pockets are 1st gen, then he went to a roll top w/ a buckle, which were sooo hard to use, and now he's back to a zipper, I tried them, but prefer my side zip over the new top zip, rectangular style now... Just personal preference/the way they fit me...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Toli ().

• July wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Does anyone have the Circuit in camo? I can't find any good pics.

If you send ULA an E-mail, they will send you swatches of the fabric you are interested in.

I did. He didn't offer to send me any swatches. He told me what was available and that they can't do any custom orders until September. I'm considering the Multi Cam but I'd really like to see a pack made with it.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If you send ULA an E-mail, they will send you swatches of the fabric you are interested in.

I did. He didn't offer to send me any swatches. He told me what was available and that they can't do any custom orders until September. I'm considering the Multi Cam but I'd really like to see a pack made with it.

Just a few weeks ago I received four of the cuben colors, I assume the cordura should also be available. From ULA website: Email us for sample swatches hikeula@gmail.com
    • TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You're gonna set your pack down and not be able to find it...get blaze orange.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

July wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You're gonna set your pack down and not be able to find it...get blaze orange.

Yeah, that's something that I would do :D. But I got blaze orange on my tent and HATE it. I'm sending it back to Judy at Lightheart and having it fixed for not an inexpensive amount.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I'm real happy with my Elemental Horizons Kalais. $230, 31 oz, 45 L (main compartment). SGT Rock Approved. Can't see spending $ to get a smaller pack for summer. This one should be big enough for shoulder season. Can't see myself doing any winter hiking in the near future.

Also, I think the term shoulder season came the travel industry.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Sometime I will try tahini too.

I'm not sure how I'd use tahini on the trail. But I generally love anything made of sesame seeds. Halvah is some of the best dessert/candy on the planet, and actually works as hiking food, except maybe in the hottest weather. There are many kinds of sesame candy, eg. a sort of peanut brittle made of sesame seeds.

I use tahini routinely to make hummus. But not for hiking so much.