Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Maine SoBo trip report rated G

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Maine SoBo trip report

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

I do too. To bad the people are not more like the people from the south.

We loved the beauty of the land when we were there in Oct. The people are a little different. When in Berlin in a restaurant I didn't really go out of my way to be cordial but I made it a point to say hello and smile. They new I wasn't from around there but I didn't care. I was just being myself. I was looked at strangely.
      thats not because you're from the south. thats because you're strange.

Do you think my hat with the Rebel flag on it had anything to do with it?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

if you ordered lobster tails, theyd know you were from away.
      no one in maine orders tails, they come from south africa

Ya', we just have lobstah up he-ah.

Got two fer on Tues. in North Conway. 2 for $11.99. So did Shellie. In other word I had 3 whole lobstahs and 2 claws. Yum yum. Life was good that night.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Got two fer on Tues. in North Conway. 2 for $11.99. So did Shellie. In other word I had 3 whole lobstahs and 2 claws. Yum yum. Life was good that night.

Here is a tip: The males have bigger claws and the females have bigger tails. And no, I am not kidding.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Here is a tip: The males have bigger claws and the females have bigger tails. And no, I am not kidding.

My brother-in-law must have eaten lobster 5 out of the eight nights we were there. We get 'em down here in FL but they don't compare to Maine lobster. They have a freezer full of tails right now. Probably about 40 some. We don't eat the claws or nothin'. We just clean at the dock, keep the tails give the rest to the pelicans and fish. Still good stuff though. One time my friend got one that the tail alone weighed 5lbs. My sister got one that took up the whole bath tub.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

chic lobster are the best (1 p0unders)

I agree. 1 lb female pistols (no claws).
      we've got a lobster farm 5 minutes away from my home. years ago you could get 3 1 pounders for $10.99 steamed and cleaned. now theyre up to $24.95 for the same 3

Crying damn shame. I can remember all you can eat grouper in the keys for $1.50
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

2-3 lbs are best.the bigger they are, the older they are-less tender

My sister had hers mounted. My friend served his at a party of drunks and it lasted all night.

I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about your sister's *

:woohoo:
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

Tru dat... I spent 2 weeks in Maine each of the last 3 years(Family related not hiking 52.gif ) and my friends sister and brother-in-law would tell us to keep quite and they would order food/speak to shop keepers because she had a Georgia drawl, and me with my Cali speak, were considered "outsiders"... Insert hiking irony "here" :silly: ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Maine SoBo trip report

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

Tru dat... I spent 2 weeks in Maine each of the last 3 years(Family related not hiking 52.gif ) and my friends sister and brother-in-law would tell us to keep quite and they would order food/speak to shop keepers because she had a Georgia drawl, and me with my Cali speak, were considered "outsiders"... Insert hiking irony "here" :silly: ...

The terms are you are from away and a flatlander.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

And here I thought they just called us hicks. Although I saw some hillbilly livin' up that way that would rival the best of 'em.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

And here I thought they just called us hicks. Although I saw some hillbilly livin' up that way that would rival the best of 'em.

I fear swirlies. So I will just call you sir if that is okay.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

I met some girls at a Flyers game that could hold their own against the best Red-Neck girls I ever met in the Ocala NF :ohmy: ...
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

chic lobster are the best (1 p0unders)

I agree. 1 lb female pistols (no claws).
      we've got a lobster farm 5 minutes away from my home. years ago you could get 3 1 pounders for $10.99 steamed and cleaned. now theyre up to $24.95 for the same 3

Crying damn shame. I can remember all you can eat grouper in the keys for $1.50

Was I alive yet? Scamp Grouper is my favorite
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Maine SoBo trip report

Toli wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i love maine.

I met some girls at a Flyers game that could hold their own against the best Red-Neck girls I ever met in the Ocala NF :ohmy: ...

You gotta go to Punta Gorda for the hard core ones. Those in Ocala are too close to Disney World.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

You gotta go to Punta Gorda for the hard core ones. Those in Ocala are too close to Disney World.

In particular to a place out in the woods called the redneck yacht club.
      You probably can google redneck yacht club Punta Gorda.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

milkman wrote:

That's funny, cuz there is one in St. Cloud too... Right on East Lake Toho... They have nicer Pontoon's then they do a house :P ...
    • Maine SoBo trip report

Toli wrote:

milkman wrote:

milkman wrote:

That's funny, cuz there is one in St. Cloud too... Right on East Lake Toho... They have nicer Pontoon's then they do a house :P ...

LOL I didn't realize it has gotten so big. It's been years since I've been there, and in case my wife reads this I mean I have never been there.
      http://redneckyachtclubmudpark.com/
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hey..... since you are already in here, check out my report. :P

Saw it earlier today BB. Good stuff as usual and nice pics.

I offended my biggest fan. Trillium thinks I called Trillium a weenie. I was calling myself a weenie. 2.gif I am not happy.

At least you got past post 666. :evil:
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I offended my biggest fan. Trillium thinks I called Trillium a weenie. I was calling myself a weenie. 2.gif I am not happy.

That's all I read into it. Cyberland is often misunderstood.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

At least you got past post 666. :evil:

I would rather be stuck on 666.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

That's all I read into it. Cyberland is often misunderstood.

Yes it is. Blame it on karma. I freaked out on you once because of something I thought I saw. I learned an embarrassing lesson from that tantrum.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

SuperMan wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

What is a mosquito net?

I brought the netting because only mad dogs and Englishmen would be out in that shit without one.

I am mostly Scottish and I get angry once in a while. Does that count?
      Please notice the rating of this thread. Weenies are present.

Found the offending post. I swear that I was counting myself as one of the weenies. I was not calling others weenies. :(
      Moving on.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

July 18

As I planned for my walk, I drove more than a few experienced hikers batty with my postal scales and gram reduction giddiness. As it turns out, I was not enough of a gram weenie. Turns out I did not like lugging an average of 34 lbs over hills for more than 100 miles. Who would have knew?

I hadn't read this the other day when I stopped reading.

Same thing happened to me. Of course, I had read for years on WB how important it was to be as light as possible. When my husband & I hiked up to MacAfee Knob in Nov 2012 and met up with 2 SOBO's, they emphasized to me how important it was to go as light as possible. So, when I started out, I tried hard to lighten my pack. As I was doing the final pack-up in the shelter near the cemetary at about mile 6 on the AT north of Springer, my husband even said to me "remember what those hikers told you on MacAfee Knob" and I REALLY tried to cut things out. But I now know that I didn't cut anywhere near enough. After hiking into Franklin and developing the excruciating foot pain, I am sure that the things that I took that I didn't absolutely need and didn't use on at least an every other day basis, contributed to the pain. Next April I will be RUTHLESS!
    • Maine SoBo trip report

Trillium wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

July 18

As I planned for my walk, I drove more than a few experienced hikers batty with my postal scales and gram reduction giddiness. As it turns out, I was not enough of a gram weenie. Turns out I did not like lugging an average of 34 lbs over hills for more than 100 miles. Who would have knew?

I hadn't read this the other day when I stopped reading.

Same thing happened to me. Of course, I had read for years on WB how important it was to be as light as possible. When my husband & I hiked up to MacAfee Knob in Nov 2012 and met up with 2 SOBO's, they emphasized to me how important it was to go as light as possible. So, when I started out, I tried hard to lighten my pack. As I was doing the final pack-up in the shelter near the cemetary at about mile 6 on the AT north of Springer, my husband even said to me "remember what those hikers told you on MacAfee Knob" and I REALLY tried to cut things out. But I now know that I didn't cut anywhere near enough. After hiking into Franklin and developing the excruciating foot pain, I am sure that the things that I took that I didn't absolutely need and didn't use on at least an every other day basis, contributed to the pain. Next April I will be RUTHLESS!

Trillium,
      Where are you hiking in April?