Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Maine SoBo trip report rated G

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Maine SoBo trip report

July 13

The beginning of our walk this day would belie what was to come. From Cooper's Brook to the tote road at the base of Whitecap (minus the the jaunt over Little Boardman), you can't find much better walking in Maine. We were screaming down the trail.

Little Boardman had a couple surprises. The trail was not clearly marked. Northbound, this would not be an issue. Some idiot thought it would be cool to lug the detour sign to the peak. Little Boardman is a relatively new addition to the trail and the old trail around it is still visible. I honestly don't understand what would possess a person who hikes this far, to vandalize the markers intended to help them.

The other surprise was while I was gazing at the glimpses of Whitecap. Maine trails are uneven at best in places. The ground was not where I expected as I stepped down. I went face first with the momentum of 30ish pounds on my back. But the good thing about bumbles is that they bounce. And bounce I did back to my feet like people were watching. My partner did not have the pleasure to see this graceful move. That would be enjoyed in turn on the next day.

At Logan Brook Lean-to we decided we had enough lazy days and agreed to push on to Sidney Tappen Campsite. We decided this in part because of the pace we were on, in part because the privy at Logan Brook was the worst we had seen so far, and mostly because we wanted to explore all of Gulf Hagas the next day. So we pushed on to another spot that did not have a privy or shelter.

I do not know what people would call trail workers. Angel is not the proper word. They hold a place slightly above angels. It is an absurd thought that anyone would build the stairs up Whitecap that has been placed there. Imagine the effort just so we can walk like we are going into a city library. No words can be written to describe my thanks to these people. I would do it without them. It is not expected by me. But, I nonetheless, enjoyed them.

It was another beautiful day as we sat on top of Whitecap just letting the views slam into us from every direction. Only time and bees could drive us away. All down hill from here. Or so it looked like on the maps.

The last down off West Peak was tiring. The downs bother me much more than the ups. I have meniscus issues in my right knee. They do not slow me down much, but they really hurt at times. I was hobbling by the time we rolled into Sidney Tappen. 17.1 miles and a few hills. This was a bit more of a test.

The last few hills would not be so bad if it weren't for the "200 yard" down hill to the Hagas Spring. I dropped my pack and headed down with our collapsible bucket (another item to be replaced later) to get some water. When I arrived I saw the trickle that I had no hope to get a bucket under. Another SoBo was there and let me use a bottle to fill my bucket. I was very thankful. This was not just 200 yards and it was steep. It is amazing how many things seem to just work out on the trail.

That night we had the site to our own. Which was a very good thing. There is little space to camp at Sidney Tappen. I cannot recommend stopping there. Nonetheless, it was a good day. It was a challenging day. It was a satisfying day. The next day would even be better.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

I thought of doing a short report on the whole thing, but opted for a drawn out one. I think we need variety here. Others contribute much. This will be my distraction attempt for a while.

The way you're doing it is great.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

July 14.

This day was a nice walk down a gradual hill. It was not without event though. We explored all of Gulf Hagas and somehow missed the Hermitage. It was another beautiful day.

As we followed Gulf Hagas Brook I could not help but be amazed how these things grow. The spring by Sidney Tappen was barely a trickle. But as we headed down the hill, the brook seemed to grow out of nowhere. I understand that the mountain feeds the brook from many underground sources. However, the shear volume of water is hard to comprehend. One would think the mountain would run dry at some point.

As we crossed the brook after Carl A Newhall Lean-to, my partner fell in the brook. I showed a genuine concern for him. After I was assured he was fine, I started to tease him. I did not tease him just a little. It went on for a few minutes. Who knows how long I would have ribbed him had I not fallen on my back shortly after. The good thing about an excessively large pack is that it makes for a good cushion when you fall backwards. He showed concern for me until he was sure I was fine. Then he gave me the treatment I deserved.

Gulf Hagas is worth the detour. But describing it as the Grand Canyon of Maine (as some have done) is ridiculous. It is picturesque, but small. The slate can be very slippery. We discovered this as we swam in various holes. I have heard the fishing is great there. I am no proof of that statement. Though I tried, I caught none.

When we were done admiring, fishing, swimming, and goofing off, we headed for the 1st real portage. So far all the streams we met could be crossed by rock hopping. Not once did I have to use my water shoes. The West Branch of the Pleasant River is another matter. Your feet are going to get wet. I was glad to finally justify the 8oz of water shoes. The crossing was slippery but easy.

A few hundred yards toward the Chairback Range we picked a stealth camp site. Again we were in very sparse companion. Hikers don't seem to like sleeping in tents. I did not even have a tent and I had no desire to get under a roof. On top of Whitecap, I had left instructions with my wife that I needed a tent by Monson. This sleeping on top of a bivy was getting old.

As I wrote in my journal that night, I wondered if I would lose Ellie Luggah in Monson. Both his feet were a wreck and one knee was bothering him. He was very quiet when I questioned him on it. I had very little pain anywhere and no blisters. I never acquired blisters, but pain was to come soon. Tomorrow meant the Chairback Range and a little hill I would like to level.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

Sent query to Administrators. Will add pictures to report later if system will allow.
      I had trouble uploading a pic today too, I didn't think to mention it because I know it's a on going process. However if the powers that be would care to know when things ain't goin so smooth, will be glad to advise???
    • Maine SoBo trip report

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Sent query to Administrators. Will add pictures to report later if system will allow.
      I had trouble uploading a pic today too, I didn't think to mention it because I know it's a on going process. However if the powers that be would care to know when things ain't goin so smooth, will be glad to advise???

Absolutely. No complaints here. Just trying to share the pictures I was asked to share. I am more than happy for what has been done. I don't care how long it takes for my friends to fix things or what condition it ends up in. It is the interaction that is the most important thing.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Absolutely. No complaints here. Just trying to share the pictures I was asked to share. I am more than happy for what has been done. I don't care how long it takes for my friends to fix things or what condition it ends up in. It is the interaction that is the most important thing.
      and we are interacting so well.

Ba Ba Ba Bir Bir bird, bird is the word, Ba Ba Ba Bir Bir bird, bird is the word
    • Maine SoBo trip report

rocksNsocks wrote:

Ba Ba Ba Bir Bir bird, bird is the word, Ba Ba Ba Bir Bir bird, bird is the word

The lyrics are so deep and have so much meaning. It's almost spiritual. It's like finding yourself on the trail.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uj0GtRI4Ulo
    • Maine SoBo trip report

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BB - I have a support request out to fix this. I don't get why I can post pictures one minute and not post later on in the day.

It is all good. I am very thankful for what you guys have done and are doing. No emergency here. Just fyi.

+1 on this. Thanks for everything guys. We can wait. It'll be a surprise and worth it. Great stuff BB, it's like we're right the with ya.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Video clips will still upload

Sorry. Don't have any. This is all Coach's fault. He demanded I put up pictures. Perhaps I have overloaded the system.
      well you could make a video with your pics, post on youtube and then paste it in here.

simple as 1,2,3,

4,5,6,7,8,9,etc.

Hmmm. Am I young enough to be taught anything? I am not sure.
    • Maine SoBo trip report

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BB - I have a support request out to fix this. I don't get why I can post pictures one minute and not post later on in the day.

It is all good. I am very thankful for what you guys have done and are doing. No emergency here. Just fyi.

+1 on this. Thanks for everything guys. We can wait. It'll be a surprise and worth it. Great stuff BB, it's like we're right the with ya.

You guys were. I gleaned a ton from the crew that I employed on my walk. Some things I learned the hard way although I was advised otherwise. In those moments I had a little private laugh at myself. I thought things like, "now why don't I have little Dirty Girl gaiters like ATM... oh, I remember... because I knew better." ;)