Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's In My Food Bag

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's In My Food Bag

I just finished packing my food bag for my hike next week. It is supposed to be 71 miles NOBO to Daleville in six days (no resupply).

Here is a link to the spread sheet. dropbox.com/s/fvnm8usdircwjzf/HikeFood2014.xlsx

The bottom line is I have about 10.5 lbs of food (packaging included) which gives me about 2550 cal/day.
      When I get it all in one bag, I find it hard to believe I will eat all that in six days. Maybe I won't. Maybe I'll starve. We shall see.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

where are you starting at? at 2550 calories a day I would probably lose 15 lbs in 6 days, but I hike 15 to 20 miles a day, so that would be a 4 day hike for me. I usually carry 2 lbs per day.

the hike is from Stoney Creek (VA 635) 71 miles north to Daleville. In 6 days, that's about 12 miles per day. Losing weight wouldn't be such a bad thing, in my case. Will try to stop at the Homeplace AYCE Saturday PM. Might have breakfast before leaving on day one and dinner after finishing on day 6, so maybe I will eat 6 days of food in just 5 days. Funny thing is it looks like such a huge pile of food. I find it hard to believe I should bring more, but the numbers suggest so. A lot of people report they are not too hungry for the first few days. I could swap out the 12 oz of beer for 12 oz of peanut butter. That would net a lot of calories, but what the fun in that? Also it really good beer. That's what we do in GR
    • From that intersection go up the two lane road. You will see AT cross the road. It is the fourth driveway on the left. There are four large pines across the front at the road, hence the name "Four Pines", ph 540-384-7599, cell 540-309-8615 Joe Mitchell- super nice guy- he's in AWOLs guide book
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference