Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

UL Ti pots and cups are showing up at much lower prices.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OzJacko wrote:

I'm not comfortable with aluminum.
      It's okay when coated (anodised) but I use titanium or stainless steel (have a ss mug and the billy).
      It's all a personal choice. I don't trust the possible negative contaminants from aluminum, particularly when cooking on hot coals etc.

Just an observation - maybe the same where you live... The real fear should be with the folks doing "near" vegan. Murcury in the fish, Iron & lead in the Leafy Spinach and other large greens, Lead in the copper pipes that deliver the water. I have a friend that has to donate a pint of blood each month to remove the Iron.

For giggles I have all that in my blood stream... causes a rare random post that hurts birdbrain's eyes... ;(
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

It's okay when coated (anodised) but I use titanium or stainless steel (have a ss mug and the billy).
      It's all a personal choice. I don't trust the possible negative contaminants from aluminum, particularly when cooking on hot coals etc.

Just an observation - maybe the same where you live... The real fear should be with the folks doing "near" vegan. Murcury in the fish, Iron & lead in the Leafy Spinach and other large greens, Lead in the copper pipes that deliver the water. I have a friend that has to donate a pint of blood each month to remove the Iron.

For giggles I have all that in my blood stream... causes a rare random post that hurts birdbrain's eyes... ;(

i would think this doesnt apply just to "near" vegans.

its all good
    • It does not hurt my "eyes". I am blind in one of them.

Seriously though, you are not hurting me with any of your posts. Many of my blunt replies are designed to continue the debate so I can better understand other opinions. Once in a while such debates change my mind. Remember the side burner center burner debate?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • "Near Vegans" I have a mother daughter couple from the Ukraine living next to me and as soon as Mom got off the plane &got married to a great friend of mine three years ago she raided the piggy bank eating large quantities of expensive fish, their hair fell out! this caused me to look for some explanations - so I told my Friend go get them blood tested. - He did it.. He is high in Iron - I have a lead level (never ate paint chips) They may have tested high - just found it really odd as they eat loads of leafy greens.

BirdBrain wrote:

It does not hurt my "eyes". I am blind in one of them.

Seriously though, you are not hurting me with any of your posts. Many of my blunt replies are designed to continue the debate so I can better understand other opinions. Once in a while such debates change my mind. Remember the side burner center burner debate?

Oh you read too much into it.This wasn't about hurting anyone... I wasn't sure if you or RS said "I don't understand your posts.."that was the reference. I felt the same with the decapitated owl head you posted... Oh well doesn't make us bad people. How about we move on? Seriously-I make blunt posts too.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • BirdBrain wrote:

July wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Yep. I have seen large river/ ridge/rocks break down with heat. Experience tells me that Al pots have thousands of deep scrapes after use... ss and ti do not present the same road wear. Where do the scrapes go?

What scrapes? Where would scrapes come from when boiling water? I am really missing something here. I understand some having the fear of cooking with aluminum on a stove at home and using metal spatulas. But why the fear of boiling water and dumping said water into a freezer bag or cup?

AK, where are you on this?

OK, let me express my experience more in depth. After decades of hiking with Al , Steel, 1 decade w/Ti cookware, I have observed... In the past have prepared meals in a grease pot while using plastic/acetal spoon no significant marking. With Ti or 'metal' spoon the grease pot shows significant wear and tear. The Ti and steel cookware show nowhere near the wear with Ti/metal spoons. Thats all I'm saying. Alum/soft.
    • I fear I am digging a hole with many people. Let me be clear. I am not telling anyone how to do anything. I am discussing and reasoning with people for very selfish reasons. I do not like making mistakes 10 miles from the nearest road.

As it applies to this thread, I do not put any utensil into my cooking pot... ever. I boil water and pour.

Other people have addressed the potential if aluminum was to be disturbed. Whereas I agree with them, it is irrelevant to my cooking style. I do respect those that want a higher degree of safety. I filter my water. Many would say that is not necessary. Everyone has to answer to their own comfort level.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• July wrote:

Does shavin' out of a canteen cup count? (it was cold H2O)

It all counts and none of it counts. Unless it effects another person, it only should matter to the one doing it. We joke about doing it all wrong. It is tongue in cheek. The beauty of doing it wrong is that you are doing it and that is what is truly important.

Oh... and by the way, if you are shaving, you are doing it wrong.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

July wrote:

Does shavin' out of a canteen cup count? (it was cold H2O)

It all counts and none of it counts. Unless it effects another person, it only should matter to the one doing it. We joke about doing it all wrong. It is tongue in cheek. The beauty of doing it wrong is that you are doing it and that is what is truly important.

Oh... and by the way, if you are shaving, you are doing it wrong.

Honey, you worried bout 10 miles out. I love BB, you ever come cross me, I.ll strike the fire, fix a meal, do some sky navigation, and love the Appalahian Trail.
    • July wrote:

Honey, you worried bout 10 miles out. I love BB, you ever come cross me, I.ll strike the fire, fix a meal, do some sky navigation, and love the Appalahian Trail.

I might have used the wrong word. I don't worry, I obsess. I plan, study, read, practice, obsess, and start the process all over again. But I do go.

A BirdBrain Maine AT Adventure (part 1)

A BirdBrain Maine AT Adventure (part 2)
    • If you go read the history on the signs around the Fontana Dam visitor center, you will see the importance of the dam, electricity, aluminum, TVA, and ALCOA to the US role in World War II. At that time, aluminum was cool. Commercial production of titanium started after the end of the war. Both aluminum and titanium are important to making jet aircraft. So I guess they are both pretty cool.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • BirdBrain wrote:

July wrote:

I might have used the wrong word. I don't worry, I obsess. I plan, study, read, practice, obsess, and start the process all over again. But I do go.

Planning is the proactive and constructive alternative to worrying. 8)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I'm glad to see prices coming down. I don't remember the cost of my MSR kettle I bought in the 90's. the mug was around $45. I told everyone in the family it only cost 20 so they wouldn't take me to the mental hospital. Now with prices going down its time to get my wife a mug.

lol!!! I frequently fib. Then again, I don't own any designer handbags, have less than 10 pair of shoes and HATE "shopping."

You sound like the perfect woman!
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I'm glad to see prices coming down. I don't remember the cost of my MSR kettle I bought in the 90's. the mug was around $45. I told everyone in the family it only cost 20 so they wouldn't take me to the mental hospital. Now with prices going down its time to get my wife a mug.

lol!!! I frequently fib. Then again, I don't own any designer handbags, have less than 10 pair of shoes and HATE "shopping."

You sound like the perfect woman!

and....if she also has a good huntin dog and uses lots of fatback when she cooks collard greens.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

July wrote:

Planning is the proactive and constructive alternative to worrying. 8)

That kinda sounds like my wife tell me to read the directions instead of throwing them away.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

... I have a friend that has to donate a pint of blood each month to remove the Iron....(

I read an article about hereditary hemochromotosis, the "disease" that causes people to over-accumulate iron. The premise of the article was the condition may actually be beneficial in the gene pool as it helps prevent woman from being anemic in their child rearing years, and that is is only labeled a disease due to the androcentric nature of science.