Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whiskey Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Picked this up on sale today. Smooth, but whoa gotta firey kick to it.
      that was my last bottle. Replaced it with a Woodford Reserve after I finished it.
      what did you think of the 1792?
      Very good. It was a gift from my KY born and raised son-in-law so I trust him to know bourbon. The problem is I only ever have one bottle on had at a time so I never get side-by-side comparisons, which I think I would need to really tell the difference among various bourbons. I do however now have my Woodford Reserve and a locally made 2 year old Rye (Grey Skies). During the polar vortex I had some two-cocktail evenings so I go to compare. It like my kids - Can't say I like one better than another. They are just different.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Picked this up on sale today. Smooth, but whoa gotta firey kick to it.
      that was my last bottle. Replaced it with a Woodford Reserve after I finished it.
      what did you think of the 1792?
      Very good. It was a gift from my KY born and raised son-in-law so I trust him to know bourbon. The problem is I only ever have one bottle on had at a time so I never get side-by-side comparisons, which I think I would need to really tell the difference among various bourbons. I do however now have my Woodford Reserve and a locally made 2 year old Rye (Grey Skies). During the polar vortex I had some two-cocktail evenings so I go to compare. It like my kids - Can't say I like one better than another. They are just different.
      It's all good. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • In my never-ending quest to find the perfect Manhattan recipe, I picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve 6-year Rye this weekend along with a Cocci Torino vermouth. Per an internet article sent by my sister, both were recommended over bourbons and sweeter vermouths like the Carpano that I've been using. Now I just need a snow day to complete my research.

The first step was to try a glass of the rye over my ice wedge. Mmm Mmm Good! Tonight might be a good opportunity to pour another glass alongside the Four Roses Small Batch to get an appreciation for the difference between bourbon and rye. Might have to listen to Don McLean's American Pie too.

My wife has given up on saying "Don't you have enough booze in the house?"

One last recommendation. Because vermouth is derived from wine, it does eventually degrade. The author that recommended the Cocci Torino vermouth also recommended storing vermouth in the refrigerator. The more you know...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • TJ mentioned George Dickle a while back, and since I hadn't had it in years thought I'd have me some, it was different from what I remembered, had a faint taste of something my wife and i both concluded was scotch, I find it to work well with a good cigar. That 30.06 casing makes a great cigar punch after sharpening a little with a chainsaw file...I believe it helps the draw as well.
      Images
      • 20190210_153509_resized.jpg

56.6 kB, 338×600, viewed 7 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • New

Time for a Manhattan throwdown!

On the left, in the orange double-walled growler, is the reigning champion, The Million Dollar Manhattan. Crown Royal Reserve and Carpano Antica Ricetta vermouth.
      On the right, made from Russell's Reserve 6 Year Rye and Cocci Torino Vermouth, is the challenger.
      Officiating this contest is the Luxardo Cherry jar.

The rye Manhattan was definitely less sweet thanks to the Cocci vermouth. The texture of the rye really dominated this glass. It was lighter both in color and in overall taste.

The Million Dollar Manhattan suddenly seemed heavy and overly sweet. But after the third sip, it tasted oh so good. By the eighth sip, I was getting very intimate with the backspace key.

I'll call it a draw. Each recipe has its own strengths.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • New

Those look great. II found the last Manhattan I had to be too sweet. Maybe I need to learn more about about Vermouth to get it the way I like it. I've also had an overly sweet Old Fashioned. In that case the bartender used a jigger of syrup. It should just have a tsp of sugar. I guess I'm partial to the not so sweet drinks unless they are balanced with sour, such as a Margarita, Daiquiri, or Whisky Sour. What's annoying is that these classic three ingredient cocktails have been perverted by so many exotic variations, people have forgotten about the originals. I was at one bar recently where the bartender didn't know how to make an Old Fashioned (the oldest original cocktail!), so I ordered a Manhatten with no Vermouth (they could do that). At another restaurant, our server said they can't make a Daiquiri (this was a high-end restaurant, so I knew she was wrong). I said I was pretty sure the bartender had rum, syrup, lime juice and ice. Turned out it was one of the best cocktails I ever had so this was a problem with the server, not the bartender.
    • New

Just got home from a belated Valentine's dinner and it happened again. I ordered a Daiquiri and the server didn't think they could do that. Arrrghhh. Maybe next time I'll order a Gimlet (Daiquiris with gin instead of rum) or a Whiskey Sour (whisky instead of rum, lemon instead of lime) or a Margarita (tequila instead of rum, triple Sec instead of syrup). Azing how many cocktails have the same basic recipe.