Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whiskey Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Decided to branch out and bought some Jameson, Irish Whiskey. Review forthcoming.
      when i was younger i drank jameson and bushmills. i took bushmills backpacking as it in my opinion is smoother and thus easier to drink without ice.

i was exploring my irish heritage back in the day. :)

it's been a long time since i've had either.
      2,000 miler
    • Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but my bourbon is so delightful...

On sale for ~$27 at the PA State Stores
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Just finished my Makers Mark. Thought I would replace it with a Rye. Decided to go local and got a bottle of Grey Skies Straight Rye (made in Grand Rapids, MI). I've grown fond of Old Fashioned cocktails so I bought some Bitters to go with it (already had the sugar and orange). I've never had a cocktail at a bar that I liked. All the "specialty" cocktails on the menu are full of silly ingredients that do nothing for me. The only mixed drinks I really like are made with just a few basic ingredients (Old Fashioned, G&T, Rum and coke, Margarita). That covers whiskey, gin, rum, and tequila. I see no point in vodka.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

Just finished my Makers Mark. Thought I would replace it with a Rye. Decided to go local and got a bottle of Grey Skies Straight Rye (made in Grand Rapids, MI). I've grown fond of Old Fashioned cocktails so I bought some Bitters to go with it (already had the sugar and orange). I've never had a cocktail at a bar that I liked. All the "specialty" cocktails on the menu are full of silly ingredients that do nothing for me. The only mixed drinks I really like are made with just a few basic ingredients (Old Fashioned, G&T, Rum and coke, Margarita). That covers whiskey, gin, rum, and tequila. I see no point in vodka.

My favorite mixed drink is whiskey & ice. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Just finished my Makers Mark. Thought I would replace it with a Rye. Decided to go local and got a bottle of Grey Skies Straight Rye (made in Grand Rapids, MI). I've grown fond of Old Fashioned cocktails so I bought some Bitters to go with it (already had the sugar and orange). I've never had a cocktail at a bar that I liked. All the "specialty" cocktails on the menu are full of silly ingredients that do nothing for me. The only mixed drinks I really like are made with just a few basic ingredients (Old Fashioned, G&T, Rum and coke, Margarita). That covers whiskey, gin, rum, and tequila. I see no point in vodka.

My favorite mixed drink is whiskey & ice. :)
      I guess that makes the "mixing" easier. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I was reading that there is now a market for upscale fancy ice for serious whiskey drinkers. They are special devices for making large clear spherical pieces of ice for your drinks. A sphere has the smallest surface area for any given volume, so the theory that an ice sphere (rather than ice cube) will melt more gradually and keep your drink from becoming prematurely diluted. There is also a trick to make the ice cube (or sphere) completely clear. I don't think that serves no useful purpose other than to look cool.

[\media]
      available at Williams Sonoma for only $974.95

Or you can buy this mold for only $11.95 (for set of two) from Crate and Barrel
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The weatherman is calling for 1to 3 inches of ice and snow here. So I checked the cabinets and went and got the necessary provisions. Let it snow let it snow.....

... while everyone else went to the store to buy bread, milk, and bottled water?
      Believe me everybody was at our SmallMart (Walmart Neighborhood Market) Friday. Had to drive around to find a parking space, then nearly all the carts gone, and store was packed like a traffic jam. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The weatherman is calling for 1to 3 inches of ice and snow here. So I checked the cabinets and went and got the necessary provisions. Let it snow let it snow.....

... while everyone else went to the store to buy bread, milk, and bottled water?
      Well, yes of course! After all, I am Dazed and Confused. But I must say that the Eljah Craig is excellent.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Down for a pre Christmas visit with my daughter in KY. We stopped at a real KY bourbon bar for after dinner drinks. A tiny place with a bar, one table, an a bench for seating. No place to stand. Two of the four walls were covered floor to ceiling with hundreds of bottles of whiskey. Pretty impressive. I had a rye old fashioned. Wife had a mahattan. Daughter had wiser sour. Son in law had an old fashioned with boron an amaretto (forget what they call it).

• Around 30 years ago, I petitioned my new bride for a glass whiskey decanter. She replied with a firm "No!" There was no reason I needed to have booze waiting on the counter when I came home from work.

30 years later, I guess she has seen that I'm not prone to drinking on a daily basis. Opened this Christmas gift today:

So far, so good. No leaks of the Elijah Craig. :thumbup:

On my pre-Christmas visit to Total Wine, I stumbled onto a small shipment of Blanton's Single Barrel. Grabbed the 3rd to last bottle from the shelf, then came home and did my research on the topic of single barrel bourbons. Here's what I learned. Back in 1984, the chief distiller at the Buffalo Trace Distillery made note that samples of bourbon taken from specific locations within the aging warehouse consistently had superior taste and smoothness. He decided to sell the bourbon directly from these single barrels instead of blending it with 'inferior' bourbon from other areas of the warehouse. Can't offer my impressions as I'm saving it for a special occasion.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • rhjanes wrote:

Blantons is good stuff. I bought it and a bottle of Eagle Rare at the same time. I actually like the Eagle Rare better.
      I hear a lot of people talking about how good Blantons is, I'm going to have indulge in a bottle. Medicinal use of course as I am still tired from being sick for six weeks- maybe low on B12 and anemic??- I'm supplementing it and now I have an excuse to eat a big steak and have eggs every morning.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • rhjanes wrote:

Blantons is good stuff. I bought it and a bottle of Eagle Rare at the same time. I actually like the Eagle Rare better.
      Yeah... I'm wondering how much of the $62 is for the fancy bottle, horsey stopper and embroidered drawstring bag. We shall see.

At least I can taste the subtle cognac flavorings in Angel's Envy to justify the higher cost.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Yeah... I'm wondering how much of the $62 is for the fancy bottle, horsey stopper and embroidered drawstring bag. We shall see.
      At least I can taste the subtle cognac flavorings in Angel's Envy to justify the higher cost.
      Well remember the Horsey stopper also has a unique letter on it! "B", or an "L", or an "A",......collect them all!!! My bottle is the round with the bevels top, no bag. I paid like $35 I thought (was almost a year ago....).
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork