Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whiskey Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

Took the 2-hour drive to Kennesaw today and visited Total Wine....40 liters of wine, 14 liters of bourbon, 7 liters of vodka, misc liquers.....I'm good for a while.

I'm headed to Atlanta for New Year's and will be stopping by. Anyone else going to be there in the next few days?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Took the 2-hour drive to Kennesaw today and visited Total Wine....40 liters of wine, 14 liters of bourbon, 7 liters of vodka, misc liquers.....I'm good for a while.

I'm headed to Atlanta for New Year's and will be stopping by. Anyone else going to be there in the next few days?

after my day hike i went to costco across the street and got my wine there. one overcrowded store a day is all i can handle.
      2,000 miler
    • Drybones wrote:

Funny... I'm headed to a Total Wine store (first visit) on Saturday outside of Baltimore to restock my liquor cabinet. I was worried that my purchase would seem extreme. Looks like I'll be in good company.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Sams Gap NC/TN (I-26) to Franconia Notch NH.
    • Last week a friend and I made the drive to Mesquite NV for several reasons, one of which was restocking his bar. He also was fulfilling orders for his neighbors as UT 's liquor laws are restrictive and result in high prices at the state liquor stores. The result? The first time I've seen a pickup bed filled to the rails with cases of spirits.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Funny... I'm headed to a Total Wine store (first visit) on Saturday outside of Baltimore to restock my liquor cabinet. I was worried that my purchase would seem extreme. Looks like I'll be in good company.

I save a lot of money at Total Wine on my favorite wine. Some bottles are $5 cheaper than in TN.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lookin for my next taste test. Suggestions?

If you like a little bite - Elijah Craig
      Super smooth and cheap - Henry Mc Kenna

Tried something new...Hayes Parker, I believe I really like it but after drinking scotch for a week any whiskey is good.

I picked up both of these at Total Wine, I hope they're good. I may try the Henry tonight.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tried something new...Hayes Parker, I believe I really like it but after drinking scotch for a week any whiskey is good.

I picked up both of these at Total Wine, I hope they're good. I may try the Henry tonight.

You need to try the Parker Hayes, I'd never heard of it before I saw it at Total Wine, be careful tho, it goes down like sweet tea.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

You need to try the Parker Hayes, I'd never heard of it before I saw it at Total Wine, be careful tho, it goes down like sweet tea.

Wait...I made a mistake. I bought the Henry McKenna and the Hayes Parker, not the Elijah Craig.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wait...I made a mistake. I bought the Henry McKenna and the Parker Hayes, not the Elijah Craig.

Give us your professional review after you've tried them.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wait...I made a mistake. I bought the Henry McKenna and the Parker Hayes, not the Elijah Craig.

Give us your professional review after you've tried them.

Will do! :)

Stephan Pastis
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tried it last night, it's real good .
      Images
      • image.jpg

76.54 kB, 438×600, viewed 95 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Watch what happens when people try moonshine for the first time – including a brand made in North Carolina.

Buzzfeed uploaded the video late last year and it has nearly three million views on YouTube.

The participants tried different flavors by the Ole Smoky Distillery in Tennessee and also some of Junior Johnson’s “Midnight Moon,” from here in North Carolina.

But wait until the end, when they try traditional homemade moonshine – at 180 proof.

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Watch what happens when people try moonshine for the first time – including a brand made in North Carolina.

Buzzfeed uploaded the video late last year and it has nearly three million views on YouTube.

The participants tried different flavors by the Ole Smoky Distillery in Tennessee and also some of Junior Johnson’s “Midnight Moon,” from here in North Carolina.

But wait until the end, when they try traditional homemade moonshine – at 180 proof.

HaHa.... I remember the first time I had real moonshine, I was only 19 and drank a whole glass of some that had peaches in it. I felt fine until I stood up, then I had to sit back down for like an hour.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I have two jars of WV 'fundraiser' shine in my cabinet. A family sold then for $20 / jar to raise cash for their son's medical bills after an ATV accident. It's flavored and diluted to the point that it's closer to schnapps than hard liquor but I guess that was to be expected.

Every once in a while, someone will bring a jar of authentic shine to a cycle rally. I always go light on that first sip just in case...

TrafficJam wrote:

Anyone tried anything new lately?

This is why I don't like to buy big bottles, they take me forever to finish. I won't have anything new to post for at least a month.

I hear you. I took a nice hit on the Bulliet 10-year last night just to empty the bottle and make room for the next sample. Well... it also tasted pretty damn good.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Sams Gap NC/TN (I-26) to Franconia Notch NH.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

HaHa.... I remember the first time I had real moonshine, I was only 19 and drank a whole glass of some that had peaches in it. I felt fine until I stood up, then I had to sit back down for like an hour.

I've had moonshine from FL, Al, GA, KY, TN, NC, SC, VA, WV, OH, IN and probably have forgotten a couple of states. Maybe a few. I know I have. Just remembered MT and WY.
      The best I ever had was down in FL a little ways below Tallahassee over yonder that way a piece made by a guy from GA. It was like liquid qualudes. We were doing shots and chasing them with pepsi. I needed gas and the station was one of those unattended one out in the middle of nowhere about 10 miles down the road. We start heading that way and my ex-wife asks "are you okay?" I said yeah why? She says because it's 55mph out here and you're only going 15. I turned around and went back.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Whiskey manufacturing is back in Philadelphia as a small batch process. Most are popping up in the old Brewery town section (west side) Most Whiskeys were produced here up to Prohibition.

Publicker
      shinewhiskey.com/our-whiskey.php

philadelphiadistilling.com/
      There was an Old Man with a owl,
      Who continued to bother and howl;
      He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
      Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl.WOO
    • TrafficJam wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I save a lot of money at Total Wine on my favorite wine. Some bottles are $5 cheaper than in TN.

That's because TN has a really high liquor tax. It's worth the gas to drive into Kentucky if I'm doing a resupply.
    • I like total wine - but they are not allowed to have a store in PA. So we slip across the border and scan the parking lot for unmarked cars, purchase $$$$$ lots of booze and slip back across the border.... avoiding any hot pursuit. We then drop off the booze in a undisclosed house that doesn't match the plates and drive home.... just in case they are waiting here at my home... I am not kidding we actually do this prior to Christmas a few years back. They were waiting for my dad once after a wedding purchase.

Cheaper prices, no 6% tax - Winning!
      There was an Old Man with a owl,
      Who continued to bother and howl;
      He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
      Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl.WOO
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I like total wine - but they are not allowed to have a store in PA. So we slip across the border and scan the parking lot for unmarked cars, purchase $$$$$ lots of booze and slip back across the border.... avoiding any hot pursuit. We then drop off the booze in a undisclosed house that doesn't match the plates and drive home.... just in case they are waiting here at my home... I am not kidding we actually do this prior to Christmas a few years back. They were waiting for my dad once after a wedding purchase.

Similar scenarios in Utah.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I like total wine - but they are not allowed to have a store in PA. So we slip across the border and scan the parking lot for unmarked cars, purchase $$$$$ lots of booze and slip back across the border.... avoiding any hot pursuit. We then drop off the booze in a undisclosed house that doesn't match the plates and drive home.... just in case they are waiting here at my home... I am not kidding we actually do this prior to Christmas a few years back. They were waiting for my dad once after a wedding purchase.

I can't begin to add up how much I spent at Canal's Liquors in Camden NJ when I was living in Philly.

And besides the 6% sales tax, you forgot to mention the 18% Johnstown Flood Tax added to every bottle sold in PA. Enacted in 1936 to raise funds for clean-up, recovery and victim assistance, it is now simply a money-maker for the PA Government.