Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whiskey Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Picked this up on sale today. Smooth, but whoa gotta firey kick to it.
      that was my last bottle. Replaced it with a Woodford Reserve after I finished it.
      what did you think of the 1792?
      Very good. It was a gift from my KY born and raised son-in-law so I trust him to know bourbon. The problem is I only ever have one bottle on had at a time so I never get side-by-side comparisons, which I think I would need to really tell the difference among various bourbons. I do however now have my Woodford Reserve and a locally made 2 year old Rye (Grey Skies). During the polar vortex I had some two-cocktail evenings so I go to compare. It like my kids - Can't say I like one better than another. They are just different.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Picked this up on sale today. Smooth, but whoa gotta firey kick to it.
      that was my last bottle. Replaced it with a Woodford Reserve after I finished it.
      what did you think of the 1792?
      Very good. It was a gift from my KY born and raised son-in-law so I trust him to know bourbon. The problem is I only ever have one bottle on had at a time so I never get side-by-side comparisons, which I think I would need to really tell the difference among various bourbons. I do however now have my Woodford Reserve and a locally made 2 year old Rye (Grey Skies). During the polar vortex I had some two-cocktail evenings so I go to compare. It like my kids - Can't say I like one better than another. They are just different.
      It's all good. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • In my never-ending quest to find the perfect Manhattan recipe, I picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve 6-year Rye this weekend along with a Cocci Torino vermouth. Per an internet article sent by my sister, both were recommended over bourbons and sweeter vermouths like the Carpano that I've been using. Now I just need a snow day to complete my research.

The first step was to try a glass of the rye over my ice wedge. Mmm Mmm Good! Tonight might be a good opportunity to pour another glass alongside the Four Roses Small Batch to get an appreciation for the difference between bourbon and rye. Might have to listen to Don McLean's American Pie too.

My wife has given up on saying "Don't you have enough booze in the house?"

One last recommendation. Because vermouth is derived from wine, it does eventually degrade. The author that recommended the Cocci Torino vermouth also recommended storing vermouth in the refrigerator. The more you know...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • TJ mentioned George Dickle a while back, and since I hadn't had it in years thought I'd have me some, it was different from what I remembered, had a faint taste of something my wife and i both concluded was scotch, I find it to work well with a good cigar. That 30.06 casing makes a great cigar punch after sharpening a little with a chainsaw file...I believe it helps the draw as well.
      Images
      • 20190210_153509_resized.jpg

56.6 kB, 338×600, viewed 315 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Time for a Manhattan throwdown!

On the left, in the orange double-walled growler, is the reigning champion, The Million Dollar Manhattan. Crown Royal Reserve and Carpano Antica Ricetta vermouth.
      On the right, made from Russell's Reserve 6 Year Rye and Cocci Torino Vermouth, is the challenger.
      Officiating this contest is the Luxardo Cherry jar.

The rye Manhattan was definitely less sweet thanks to the Cocci vermouth. The texture of the rye really dominated this glass. It was lighter both in color and in overall taste.

The Million Dollar Manhattan suddenly seemed heavy and overly sweet. But after the third sip, it tasted oh so good. By the eighth sip, I was getting very intimate with the backspace key.

I'll call it a draw. Each recipe has its own strengths.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Those look great. II found the last Manhattan I had to be too sweet. Maybe I need to learn more about about Vermouth to get it the way I like it. I've also had an overly sweet Old Fashioned. In that case the bartender used a jigger of syrup. It should just have a tsp of sugar. I guess I'm partial to the not so sweet drinks unless they are balanced with sour, such as a Margarita, Daiquiri, or Whisky Sour. What's annoying is that these classic three ingredient cocktails have been perverted by so many exotic variations, people have forgotten about the originals. I was at one bar recently where the bartender didn't know how to make an Old Fashioned (the oldest original cocktail!), so I ordered a Manhatten with no Vermouth (they could do that). At another restaurant, our server said they can't make a Daiquiri (this was a high-end restaurant, so I knew she was wrong). I said I was pretty sure the bartender had rum, syrup, lime juice and ice. Turned out it was one of the best cocktails I ever had so this was a problem with the server, not the bartender.
    • Just got home from a belated Valentine's dinner and it happened again. I ordered a Daiquiri and the server didn't think they could do that. Arrrghhh. Maybe next time I'll order a Gimlet (Daiquiris with gin instead of rum) or a Whiskey Sour (whisky instead of rum, lemon instead of lime) or a Margarita (tequila instead of rum, triple Sec instead of syrup). Azing how many cocktails have the same basic recipe.
    • In today's edition of "Sip or Skip", I will review Calumet Farm Small Batch Bourbon. High $40's in the PA State Stores. A premier product from the Bird Dog Whiskey folks.

I was initially disappointed with the overall taste based on the price. For a few dollars more, I could have bought another fifth of Angel's Envy. As a control, I followed up my test glass with a sample of Four Roses Small Batch. Suddenly, the Calumet Farm bourbon wasn't so bad. But it wasn't $47 good, so I'll give it a skip. There are too many good bourbons in the $30 - $40 range.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

In today's edition of "Sip or Skip", I will review Calumet Farm Small Batch Bourbon. High $40's in the PA State Stores. A premier product from the Bird Dog Whiskey folks.

I was initially disappointed with the overall taste based on the price. For a few dollars more, I could have bought another fifth of Angel's Envy. As a control, I followed up my test glass with a sample of Four Roses Small Batch. Suddenly, the Calumet Farm bourbon wasn't so bad. But it wasn't $47 good, so I'll give it a skip. There are too many good bourbons in the $30 - $40 range.
      A good chilly day on the east coast for whiskey tasting too.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • One of my favorites, Coopers Craft, dropped in price from $26 to $19.99. This concerned me...why would the price drop? Was the quality affected? I asked the sales guy and he said they came out with a new...vintage (is that the right word?) and they “tier” the price.

I bought my son in law a small bottle of Belle Meade from Nashville and a bottle of Coopers Craft. Then found out he only drinks bourbon mixed with other stuff and wouldn’t appreciate the Belle Meade so he gave it back to me. :)
      Lost in the right direction.

In today's edition of "Sip or Skip", I will review Calumet Farm Small Batch Bourbon. High $40's in the PA State Stores. A premier product from the Bird Dog Whiskey folks.

Thanks for your review. I’ve been eyeing it but will skip it for that price.
    • I tried out yet another Manhattan recipe last night;

2 parts bourbon
      1 part port wine (tawny port preferred)
      3 dashes of bitters

Now I have three 'favorite' Manhattan recipes. Smooth, tasty, and just different enough to keep things interesting.

I tried out yet another Manhattan recipe last night;

2 parts bourbon
      1 part port wine (tawny port preferred)
      3 dashes of bitters

Now I have three 'favorite' Manhattan recipes. Smooth, tasty, and just different enough to keep things interesting.
      I too have been practicing with bourbon mixtures. I found the last Manhattan I ordered in a bar to be too sweet. I need to buy some vermouth to get the ratios the way I like it. I suppose maybe port is lees sweet than sweet vermouth. That would be worth a try. Unfortunately it seems every cocktail I want to try requires buying another bottle.
    • I made a rally nice variation on a Sazerac last night. Your traditional Sazerac recipe is:

• Rinse a rocks glass with Absinthe and drain the excess.
      • Muddle a sugar cube with a little water and a few dashes of Peychaud's bitters
      • Add Rye and/or Cognac with ice.
      • Stir to blend/chill/dilute and strain into a chilled rocks glass that has been rinsed with Absinthe.
      • Twist a lemon peel over to expel some of the oils into the drink and serve up with the twist.
      I don't have Absinthe, but I do have some Swedish Aquavit (both anise-based herbal liqueurs).
      Dumping out the excess after rinsing a glass seems silly. I'm not wasting my Aqavit.
      I have a bottle of Congnac from Kazakhstan but it technically doesn't belong to me (long story) and my rye just ran out.
      But I do have bourbon (Woodford Reserve)
      I don't have Peychaud's bitters but I do have Angostura Bitters.
      I would rather do it in one glass instead of two. I tend to prefer drinks on the rocks rather than chilled and served up.

So here is my variation which came out really good:

• Muddle two pinches of demerara sugar in a rocks glass with about a capfull of Aquavit (probably about 2-3 tsp)
      • Add a few dashes of Bitters, ice, and bourbon (I think I used 1.5 oz), stir.
      • Twist the oil from a lemon peel over the surface and serve in the rocks with the twist.

Yum.
    • odd man out wrote:

I made a rally nice variation on a Sazerac last night. Your traditional Sazerac recipe is:

• Rinse a rocks glass with Absinthe and drain the excess.
      • Stir to blend/chill/dilute and strain into a chilled rocks glass that has been rinsed with Absinthe

Dumping out the excess after rinsing a glass seems silly.
      lol, receipe courtesy of the absinthe makers trade association.
      2,000 miler
    • Visited my favorite liquor store in Elkton MD today. Couldn't decide between the two so I compromised and bought both. :P

The I.W. Harper was highly rated in an article I read a few months ago, and the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (115 proof) won 'Whisky of the Year". I'll get to my first taste test after I finish the Calumet Farm.

• After yesterday's Duke - UCF basketball game, I needed something to calm my nerves. Finished the Calumet Farm and then took a look at the I. W. Harper.

The Calumet Farm seemed to mellow a bit in my decanter since my first taste 2.5 weeks ago. I enjoyed it neat without any ice or water, but I still think it's a bit overpriced. Onto the next contestant in 'Sip or Skip'!

The first thing I noticed with the I.W. Harper was a pronounced cinnamon aftertaste. I'll hold off on my rating until I try it again later this week with a clean palate. But so far, so good.

• I gave the I.W. Harper an extended test-drive last evening. Funny how the flavor notes change with a clean palate. The cinnamon aftertaste was gone. ?(

This has to be one of the smoothest bourbons I have ever sampled. No doubt from the 15-year aging and the 86 proof. My wife even tolerated a few drops without making a face.

I'll rate it a 'Sip'. At $60, it will be a slow sip to make it last.

Visited my favorite liquor store in Elkton MD today. Couldn't decide between the two so I compromised and bought both. :P

The I.W. Harper was highly rated in an article I read a few months ago, and the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (115 proof) won 'Whisky of the Year". I'll get to my first taste test after I finish the Calumet Farm.
      Took my first taste of the 115 proof Elijah Craig Barrel Proof this week. Poured it over my whiskey wedge and took a sip before any of the ice had a chance to melt. WOW! Talk about a shock to the taste buds. The flavors were strong but good and there was no doubt it was north of 100 proof. As the ice wedge melted a bit, I enjoyed each sip tremendously. This is one of my new favorite bourbons. Well worth the premium price if you can find it.

• Last trip to TW&S I picked up a few new items...Claude Chatelier cognac, Cazdores tequila, and Glenfiddich scotch....the cognac is a keeper, goes well with a cigar, the tequila is in the frig, jury is still out on it, the scotch I did not care for, Glenmorangie is the best scotch I've had, doubt I'll ever develop a taste for scotch.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Tried Benromach single malt Scotch whiskey.

Blech, tastes like glue.
      That's because it's Scotch. I've yet to try one that I like, that's why I stick to good old Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey
      It's "an acquired taste", which is a nice way of saying that it tastes like glue.
      But I have a Talisker I taste every now and then to keep my taste buds aligned.
    • in my 20's i liked southern comfort (the drink of choice of janis joplin).

i tried some a few years ago for the first time in at least 30 years and thot it was horrible and didn't finish it. tasted like cough syrup with sugar added to it. more went down the drain than down my throat.

i won't mention my brief relationship with the fine products of boones farm. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

in my 20's i liked southern comfort (the drink of choice of janis joplin).

i tried some a few years ago for the first time in at least 30 years and thot it was horrible and didn't finish it. tasted like cough syrup with sugar added to it. more went down the drain than down my throat.

What's next, your Mad Dog 20/20 confessions? :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

At my oldest sister's wedding (1979), my drink of choice was Comfort & Coke. I put the straw from each drink in my rented tux pocket - kinda like notching the stock for each kill. Counted 17 straws the next morning. Needless to say, my stomach pressed the eject button that night <X and I can barely stand the smell of Southern Comfort to this day.

My relationship with Boone's Farm Apple was a one night stand. She left me in a violent fashion. Was it something I said? ?(

• Speaking of whiskey and upcoming section hikes...

The Beam Apple will be in the pack for the first three nights. The Jefferson Manhattan pre-mix is going in the care package I'm sending to Joe Dodge Lodge.

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I'll confess to drinking MD 2020 in college. We would have MD party's at a friend's house and get ridiculously silly.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

luckily i never sunk to that level.
      2,000 miler
    • Yesterday I got a bottle of Wilderness Trail Single Barrel Bourbon as a gift from my son in law (born and raised in KY). Having some tonight in an Old Fashioned. I'm do expert. I thought it tasted a little camely. Since it's called Wilderness Trail, can I also post this in the I Went for a Walk Today thread?. Maybe I'll get some Wild Turkey and post it in the Wildlife Sightings thread.
    • odd man out wrote:

Yesterday I got a bottle of Wilderness Trail Single Barrel Bourbon as a gift from my son in law (born and raised in KY). Having some tonight in an Old Fashioned. I'm do expert. I thought it tasted a little camely. Since it's called Wilderness Trail, can I also post this in the I Went for a Walk Today thread?. Maybe I'll get some Wild Turkey and post it in the Wildlife Sightings thread.
      If you drink the whole bottle of Wild Turkey and then post, I'll bet that we'll not only have interesting pictures but an entertaining post as well. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

Yesterday I got a bottle of Wilderness Trail Single Barrel Bourbon as a gift from my son in law (born and raised in KY). Having some tonight in an Old Fashioned. I'm do expert. I thought it tasted a little camely. Since it's called Wilderness Trail, can I also post this in the I Went for a Walk Today thread?. Maybe I'll get some Wild Turkey and post it in the Wildlife Sightings thread.
      Hmmmm....I’ve never tasted a camel. :)