Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pots & Pans

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pots & Pans

On my road trip this past Holiday, I stopped at a pack shop. I needed maps of the area.......and they had a Snow Peak 700ti. So now I have a snow Peak 700ti :) It says in the owners sheet that a GIGA POWER 110 canister fits inside. Can I get an idea about how many boils I can get out of that size? :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Pots & Pans

My wife and I use the K-Mart grease pot. It's made of aluminum, so it's pretty light weight, and is a good size for 2 people. It's kind of big for when either of us use it solo but it's what we've got. I made a cozy to fit it and in winter we use a white gas stove with it. The other 3 seasons we use an alcohol stove. No matter when we use it, it's with a wind screen.
    • Pots & Pans

LIhikers wrote:

My wife and I use the K-Mart grease pot. It's made of aluminum, so it's pretty light weight, and is a good size for 2 people. It's kind of big for when either of us use it solo but it's what we've got. I made a cozy to fit it and in winter we use a white gas stove with it. The other 3 seasons we use an alcohol stove. No matter when we use it, it's with a wind screen.

I have same pot. I made a custom 2 piece caldera cone for use with alcohol stove and suspended shield for use with msr pocket rocket knockoff. Maybe I will post pictures if I remember while home.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Pots & Pans

LIhikers wrote:

I used the Wally grease pot for years with an alcohol stove and still have this set up. It worked good for me. I'm a diehard Jetboil fan now though.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Pots & Pans

Another K-Mart Grease Pot user here. I have a Penny Stove 2.0, with simmer ring and primer. I can turn it upside down and use it as a stand to burn Esbit (although I haven't tried this; Esbit stinks). I mad the pot stand out of aluminium rod stock, so it's robust enough that I can also take a trowelful of hot coals from a fire and use the pot stand as a trivet. Or stick a tea light or two in there.

When I'm cooking for two, I switch to the pot from a GSI Dualist. The Grease Pot is stretching things a bit if I'm going to boil water for both dinner and tea for two people.

The windscreen that I use isn't quite a Caldera Clone, but makes for a fairly tight chimney.

What I miss on the trail is some sort of skillet. Once in a while, I get a hankering for pancakes, or pan bread, or fried or scrambled eggs, and say to myself, "if I had a skillet, i could do that." But I haven't yet found anything that seems to be worth toting.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Pots & Pans

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Pot is Pot.. That being said.. do not ....DO NOT buy the new ceramic light weight pots that are coming out shortly - they are plain awful... in side by side tests here at home on the stove the ceramic - burn and burn and bubble...

Good to know.
    • Pots & Pans

AnotherKevin wrote:

What I miss on the trail is some sort of skillet. Once in a while, I get a hankering for pancakes, or pan bread, or fried or scrambled eggs, and say to myself, "if I had a skillet, i could do that." But I haven't yet found anything that seems to be worth toting.

I've been wanting to try that fry pan by Jetboil with the flux ring on my burner. Then the cost and the weight comes to mind and I say well, grab a Mountain House.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I've thought of using an aluminum plate as a skillet, light and cheap, like this one.

[IMG:http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/82028.jpg]
    • Whatever your pot, I very strongly recommend a pot cozy.
      Search YouTube for instructions on how to make one.
      Just a couple of reasons is being able to hold your food while you eat and keeping the soot on your pot from soiling the inside of your pack.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Whatever your pot, I very strongly recommend a pot cozy.
      Just a couple of reasons is being able to hold your food while you eat and keeping the soot on your pot from soiling the inside of your pack.

6 to 1, half dozen to another. Either way a cozy is a must. I just boil the water and have a cozy for freezer bags. I cook in the freezer bag. The freezer bag is going to get dirty anyways (it stores the food). This way there is zero dishes to wash (just a spoon to lick off).
    • I used a conventional lightweight pot when I did Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry back in October simply because I had it and felt like I needed to use it at least once, didn't care much for it, I like the old 24oz Foster beer can much better... lighter, more efficient, compact....and maybe it just kept reminding me of beer.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I've thought of using an aluminum plate as a skillet, light and cheap, like this one.

[IMG:http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/82028.jpg]

Best thing to do is try it in the kitchen at home before doing it on the trail. you still would need the heat distributor for this to work.[IMG:http://www.packitgourmet.com/images/D/HeatDiffuser_Folded.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Drybones wrote:

I used a conventional lightweight pot when I did Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry back in October simply because I had it and felt like I needed to use it at least once, didn't care much for it, I like the old 24oz Foster beer can much better... lighter, more efficient, compact....and maybe it just kept reminding me of beer.

Yes and you and I know that if we are using it as a water kettle that's fine... I actually liked to cook at one time... that's for the pot. I honestly don't see a lot of real cooking anymore.. but the Girls are still doing well with the bag meals.
    • Pots & Pans

I just receiced my 10cm Imusa Pot from Zelph. The first boil showed that the aluminum handle got extremely hot. I neatly wrapped a few feet of 550 cord around the handle and tried it again. This didnt work well either as the 550 cord wanted to melt (using a pocket rocket stove) any ideas on how to correct this? I would rather put something on the handle that stays there instead of using my bandanna or something similiar.
      RIAP
    • Pots & Pans

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

6 to 1, half dozen to another. Either way a cozy is a must. I just boil the water and have a cozy for freezer bags. I cook in the freezer bag. The freezer bag is going to get dirty anyways (it stores the food). This way there is zero dishes to wash (just a spoon to lick off).

I've been working on this....but I do so love to cook........I've also been leaning to drier meals.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Pots & Pans

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I've been working on this....but I do so love to cook........I've also been leaning to drier meals.

We dehydrated many meals. Some were just Knorr's. I think I could do the whole trail on Knorr's side for supper. I am a creature of habit. Many years ago I ate a double decker ham cheese pickle and lettuce sandwich for every lunch at work for about 3 years running.
    • Pots & Pans

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

We dehydrated many meals. Some were just Knorr's. I think I could do the whole trail on Knorr's side for supper. I am a creature of habit. Many years ago I ate a double decker ham cheese pickle and lettuce sandwich for every lunch at work for about 3 years running.

Knorr sides have become a staple for me. I add some veggies & FD meats or flavored tofu to bulk them up.
    • To be honest I thought I found something better than Knorr/ in terms of cooking and cozy.... now I am not sure... so
      should we start a new thead?

I guess if you boil water toss it into the packet (pasta sides) and stir - jamb it into a cozy you have a luke warm wallpaper paste and a meal in 15 minutes.

What do you think?
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

To be honest I thought I found something better than Knorr/ in terms of cooking and cozy.... now I am not sure... so
      should we start a new thead?

I guess if you boil water toss it into the packet (pasta sides) and stir - jamb it into a cozy you have a luke warm wallpaper paste and a meal in 15 minutes.

What do you think?

I still prefer to cook mine with the additions. I consider decent food one of the few rewards on a hiking trip. There have been very few days when I was to tired to do a stir every few minutes.
    • Not what I was thinking... are you suggesting you put it in a pot boil etc and steep? or FBC? Just about everything Sarah and others have touched can be converted to Freezer Bag Meal, no clean up. Takes a little longer. Additions are cool and can be added as a separate glad bag or something.

Here is Sarah's Website and I have her books ... the trail name escapes me for the moment.

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/
    • Sarbar's website is one I suggest often. FBC glop is just not for me. She often gives instructions that include one pot meal. I use pot scrapper to to clean my pot & get every last morsel A little water it's clean. I have a hard time justifying a one use FB as enviromentally sound for every meal.

Love her cobbler recipe! I have adapted it for many FD fruits always a nice quick treat.
    • To each his own. After over 5K trail miles I have a pretty good routine. One hiking partner was amazed on how while she was still setting up her tent I was reading beside my cooking pot. Just efficency from tasks done many tmes over. Like I said before, food is a big reward to me on the trail. I don't eat slop at home I see no reason to compromise on the trail. So I carry a bit more fuel. Worth it to me. For some food is just a means of energy. On long hikes I am not one that needs/wants to hit town every 3/4 days. I prefer to stay in the woods resup about every week. Making a pizza or bread on the trail isn't that hard. If I'm with two ore more people it isn't even a weight issue. HYOH, you won't see me eating FB meals other than an occasional FD one.