Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pots & Pans

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

How did you do the Knorrs sides?

Repackaged into bpa free freezer bags. Add water. Side into cozy. Kneed until feels consistent.

Don't most of these have to be cooked a bit and stirred a bit?

Nope. Pour in water, seal, put in cozy, kneed, be patient, open, and eat. Less fuel. No pots to clean. Just a spoon to lick off.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Repackaged into bpa free freezer bags. Add water. Side into cozy. Kneed until feels consistent.

Nope. Pour in water, seal, put in cozy, kneed, be patient, open, and eat. Less fuel. No pots to clean. Just a spoon to lick off.

Is there enough room to do it in it's own bag? I do my oatmeal in it's own bag and that's a plus on cleanup.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Is there enough room to do it in it's own bag? I do my oatmeal in it's own bag and that's a plus on cleanup.

Yes. I use quart sized ZipLock freezer bags. I made cozies out of Reflectix insulation taped together with aluminum tape. 2 packages of knorrs will fit fine in one bag. It only takes about a cup of water to rehydrate and cook the food. Remember, the water can't go anywhere but into the food when it is trapped in the bag.
    • Pots & Pans

Mountain-Mike wrote:

To each his own. After over 5K trail miles I have a pretty good routine. One hiking partner was amazed on how while she was still setting up her tent I was reading beside my cooking pot. Just efficency from tasks done many tmes over. Like I said before, food is a big reward to me on the trail. I don't eat slop at home I see no reason to compromise on the trail. So I carry a bit more fuel. Worth it to me. For some food is just a means of energy. On long hikes I am not one that needs/wants to hit town every 3/4 days. I prefer to stay in the woods resup about every week. Making a pizza or bread on the trail isn't that hard. If I'm with two ore more people it isn't even a weight issue. HYOH, you won't see me eating FB meals other than an occasional FD one.

There is a lot to be said for this. I cannot be argued against. Food on the trail is a preference. I prefer light and easy. Others prefer food. My method does not produce gourmet cuisine. But then again, roots taste great to me after a week on the trail.
    • Pots & Pans

milkman wrote:

Gonna give 'em a try your way. I tried them using the original package they came in no cozy and it wasn't so great.

You will have to try it a few times to get the water amount and time down. I have learned to know when things are done by feel. Every time you peek, you lose valuable heat. I would start with a Knorr's side that is elbow macaroni based. They are the easiest to judge when done.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Gonna give 'em a try your way. I tried them using the original package they came in no cozy and it wasn't so great.

You will have to try it a few times to get the water amount and time down. I have learned to know when things are done by feel. Every time you peek, you lose valuable heat. I would start with a Knorr's side that is elbow macaroni based. They are the easiest to judge when done.

The rice ones are the ones I've had trouble with but like I said I've left them in the original packaging without a cozy.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Pots & Pans

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

The rice ones are the ones I've had trouble with but like I said I've left them in the original packaging without a cozy.

Dump them into the freezer bags before you hit the trail. Get rid of the original packaging. No need to carry that extra trash.
    • Pots & Pans

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Dump them into the freezer bags before you hit the trail. Get rid of the original packaging. No need to carry that extra trash.
      Nice! gif.013

This is my first Cafe' tid bit! Thanks BB.....I never thought of that! 49.gif gif.004
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Pots & Pans

Being the gram weenie that I am, I repackage all my food into the ziplocks. Even the gorp and snacks are weighed and in ziplocks. One person on the trail suggested it made for extra trash. I asked what their food was in. The answer was the original packaging. The original packaging is heavier than ziplocks. The 1st ziplock becomes the 1st trash bag for future ziplocks. Best part = zero dishes to wash.

I would advise practicing at home though. Fuel and water amounts can be perfected there. The trail is the wrong place for surprises.
    • Pots & Pans

Mountain-Mike wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Whatever your pot, I very strongly recommend a pot cozy.
      Search YouTube for instructions on how to make one.
      Just a couple of reasons is being able to hold your food while you eat and keeping the soot on your pot from soiling the inside of your pack.

6 to 1, half dozen to another. Either way a cozy is a must. I just boil the water and have a cozy for freezer bags. I cook in the freezer bag. The freezer bag is going to get dirty anyways (it stores the food). This way there is zero dishes to wash (just a spoon to lick off).

I've been working on this....but I do so love to cook........I've also been leaning to drier meals.

We dehydrated many meals. Some were just Knorr's. I think I could do the whole trail on Knorr's side for supper. I am a creature of habit. Many years ago I ate a double decker ham cheese pickle and lettuce sandwich for every lunch at work for about 3 years running.

Knorr sides have become a staple for me. I add some veggies & FD meats or flavored tofu to bulk them up.

I've tried several Knorr dishes but have yet to find one I can eat...they just don't agree with me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Pots & Pans

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Not what I was thinking... are you suggesting you put it in a pot boil etc and steep? or FBC? Just about everything Sarah and others have touched can be converted to Freezer Bag Meal, no clean up. Takes a little longer. Additions are cool and can be added as a separate glad bag or something.

Here is Sarah's Website and I have her books ... the trail name escapes me for the moment.

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/

Just found your post. Thanks for the link! I've been looking for some new cooking ideas.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Pots & Pans

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Not what I was thinking... are you suggesting you put it in a pot boil etc and steep? or FBC? Just about everything Sarah and others have touched can be converted to Freezer Bag Meal, no clean up. Takes a little longer. Additions are cool and can be added as a separate glad bag or something.

Here is Sarah's Website and I have her books ... the trail name escapes me for the moment.

http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101/

Just found your post. Thanks for the link! I've been looking for some new cooking ideas.

If I had to rate best backcountry cookbook out there it would be "Cooking the one burner way" By Buck Tilton. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-One-Burner-Way-3rd-Backcountry/dp/0762782110/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392165533&sr=8-1&keywords=cooking+the+one+burner+way Not geared for fast, minimal hikers. But if I have a partner to share with they loved the results!

I also like a few recipies from NOLS cookbook. http://www.amazon.com/NOLS-Cookery-Field-Library-ebook/dp/B0080C9T4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392165945&sr=8-2&keywords=nols+cookery
      When a friend I work with seperated from a girlfriend & asked where I learned to cook. Best resourses I had were these. It was a PIA to get them back when I wanted a recipe from them. He swore he would starve without them! lol
    • Trebor wrote:

I just receiced my 10cm Imusa Pot from Zelph. The first boil showed that the aluminum handle got extremely hot. I neatly wrapped a few feet of 550 cord around the handle and tried it again. This didnt work well either as the 550 cord wanted to melt (using a pocket rocket stove) any ideas on how to correct this? I would rather put something on the handle that stays there instead of using my bandanna or something similiar.

Did you ever figure something out? I have the same pot and plan to start using it soon.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I oven wonder if you couldn't make something like this work as a fry pan, just a simple plate and just use my pot grabber to hold it.

[IMG:http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/items/main/82028.jpg]

often wondered the same thing, after all, what constitutes frying? oil? nothin' says it has to be a heavy iron skillet, though I do love my iron skillet.

guess you'll have some burned bottoms though...so what, right. at least that's my take on the matter! use whatever you like, or more over what works.

...perhaps our resident Chef can shed some light on the sitchyation
    • socks wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I oven wonder if you couldn't make something like this work as a fry pan, just a simple plate and just use my pot grabber to hold it.

[IMG:http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/items/main/82028.jpg]

often wondered the same thing, after all, what constitutes frying? oil? nothin' says it has to be a heavy iron skillet, though I do love my iron skillet.

guess you'll have some burned bottoms though...so what, right. at least that's my take on the matter! use whatever you like, or more over what works.

Moist cooking methods can use very thin cooking pots like we hikers user. Drier cooking methods need metal about 2mm and thicker to spread the focused heat from flames out to reduce the hot spots.

Frying or sauteed requires fat
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

If they are the wire type handles you can put heat shrink wrap tubing on them. That's what I did to my titan kettle.

This is it.
      woodgaz-stove.com/imusa-mug-10cm-lids.php

The only thing that comes to mind other than using pot grippers or a bandanna would be some of the cloth type muffler tape
      ebay.com/itm/like/251757642830?lpid=82&chn=ps $10 a roll.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Rasty wrote:

socks wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Moist cooking methods can use very thin cooking pots like we hikers user. Drier cooking methods need metal about 2mm and thicker to spread the focused heat from flames out to reduce the hot spots.

Frying or sauteed requires fat
      Thanks Rasty.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Trebor wrote:

I just receiced my 10cm Imusa Pot from Zelph. The first boil showed that the aluminum handle got extremely hot. I neatly wrapped a few feet of 550 cord around the handle and tried it again. This didnt work well either as the 550 cord wanted to melt (using a pocket rocket stove) any ideas on how to correct this? I would rather put something on the handle that stays there instead of using my bandanna or something similiar.

Did you ever figure something out? I have the same pot and plan to start using it soon.

I ended up just using my bandanna. I suppose simple is better sometimes.
      RIAP
    • The blue enamel pot cookedvery well. My Peak 1 'nested' in it. The 2 MSRs below it, sucked. The chromed one in the middle I only used once. the big chrome one is Ovs. The 2 Snow Peak cans are great, they nest. The 700 fits a 110 canister and my stove. The 900 fits the bigger can. Both lids are horrible.... I can't believe they are designed by the same company. Which is why, ever since 'Chinese Stanley' came out with that cup/ pot thing, I've had my eye on it. It holds 2 110 canisters. It boils enough to fill my white cup and water for an FBC meal. I need to field test it :D
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: