Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Declination here on the East about to change.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Declination here on the East about to change.

Recently since 2010 the magnetic North Pole is racing towards Siberia. Its moving so fast that declination (the difference between true North and Magnetic) is changing very fast in some places on the Earth... so in my lifetime 13° will change to 14° degrees. Scientists are watch this very closely as we may be do for a flip where N becomes S every 100,000 years. For those of you who reject GPS and other electronics... you may want to read up on the unusual changes. Keep in mind the magnetics keep deadly rays from reaching the ground. Mars is an example of what happens when the core fails to generate the field.

ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/GeomagneticPoles.shtml

zengardner.com/the-shift-is-on…-now-racing-a-mile-a-day/

[IMG:http://pr.ak.vresp.com/2b05dd5da/modernsurvivalblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/magnetic-north-pole-is-heading-to-russia.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

geomag.usgs.gov/research/hazards.php

Some parts of the US are about to get an increase in unhealthy solar radiation near the poles.

Guess it's time to don my tin foil hat and throw away my compass 8o

Rereading my post it sounds like I'm scoffing the idea of poles moving or reversing, I'm not really.
      I just can't worry about something I can't do anything about.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• OK - I give up or digress ... serious I honestly think I am surrounded by folks that are supportive and seriously smarter than me. I can guess some of you went to college. I can think you can see writing isn't my strongest process - my English professor proved that by tossing me under the theses. I just wanted to post something to the old school or somewhat young school community that compass work or navigation may be taking it up a notch in the near future. OK I agree it was odd. But try to understand this - over on Toss they argue about the color of their tent or raincoat. There are few newbies here. This inst about how smart you or I are... I feel I need to consider what you would like to read or commiserate on. I am possibly trying to hard to provide something that may interest you beyond the drivel.

Well that changeable... Forget this thread - what would you like to read about?
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

But try to understand this - over on Toss they argue about the color of their tent or raincoat.

-------------------------

ok i'm game.

your tent should blend in so you can stealth camp and can't be seen.

your raincoat should be the brightest, gaudiest color you can find in case you get hurt/lost and want to be seen.

or get whatever color is cheaper.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

But try to understand this - over on Toss they argue about the color of their tent or raincoat.

-------------------------

ok i'm game.

your tent should blend in so you can stealth camp and can't be seen.

your raincoat should be the brightest, gaudiest color you can find in case you get hurt/lost and want to be seen.

or get whatever color is cheaper.

Yeah, I kinda miss those pissin contests, kinda like when I was young, we'd go to the honky tonks to see who was fighting that night...occasionally participate.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK - I give up or digress ... serious I honestly think I am surrounded by folks that are supportive and seriously smarter than me. I can guess some of you went to college. I can think you can see writing isn't my strongest process - my English professor proved that by tossing me under the theses. I just wanted to post something to the old school or somewhat young school community that compass work or navigation may be taking it up a notch in the near future. OK I agree it was odd. But try to understand this - over on Toss they argue about the color of their tent or raincoat. There are few newbies here. This inst about how smart you or I are... I feel I need to consider what you would like to read or commiserate on. I am possibly trying to hard to provide something that may interest you beyond the drivel.

I think your post is interesting and the comments are funny. Post what you want. If it weren't for you, I might be buying dehydrated salmon and power pots.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re: Declination here on the East about to change.

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK - I give up or digress ... serious I honestly think I am surrounded by folks that are supportive and seriously smarter than me. I can guess some of you went to college. I can think you can see writing isn't my strongest process - my English professor proved that by tossing me under the theses. I just wanted to post something to the old school or somewhat young school community that compass work or navigation may be taking it up a notch in the near future. OK I agree it was odd. But try to understand this - over on Toss they argue about the color of their tent or raincoat. There are few newbies here. This inst about how smart you or I are... I feel I need to consider what you would like to read or commiserate on. I am possibly trying to hard to provide something that may interest you beyond the drivel.

I think your post is interesting and the comments are funny. Post what you want. If it weren't for you, I might be buying dehydrated salmon and power pots.

Thumbs up WOO
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

the poles reverse every 500,000 years or so although i have no idea how the scientists have figured that out.

if you need a compass go ahead and buy it -- if you wait til the poles reverse you'll never get it.

Some minerals are naturally magnetic. When they are deposited from sedimentation or volcanic events, they align with the current magnetic field (just as your compass needle does), but then then become fixed in place. So as you dig through layers of rocks (such as in the Grand Canyon), you would find that the alignment of these magnetic minerals reverse as you dig down through the layers. There are many ways of dating the layers so you can use those dates to determine the timing of the magnetic reversals. This timeline can then be used to date other layers. This is a little like using tree ring patterns to date wood samples, except a pattern of tree ring widths only applies to one area based on the weather history of that locale. But the reversals of magnetic poles are global and will affect all deposits anywhere on Earth at the same time.

One of the most important applications of this was the observation that the alignment of magnetic minerals in the floor of the Atlantic Ocean form bands (like a UPC code) and the pattern of band widths on the east side of the mid Atlantic ridge is a mirror image of the pattern on the west side. This is because the sea floor is spreading as the continental plates separate from the ridge where the new sea floor is created. By correlating the width of the bands with the dates of the pole reversals, they could calculate the rate of sea floor spreading. This was a key observation leading to the acceptance of the theory of Plate Tectonics, which is now one of the cornerstones of modern Geology.
    • max.patch wrote:

the poles reverse every 500,000 years or so although i have no idea how the scientists have figured that out.

if you need a compass go ahead and buy it -- if you wait til the poles reverse you'll never get it.

I actually remember this from a Discovery type show in the 1980's (Serious) the information was gathered from dung called Coprolite often found in the lower quadrant of Dino bones they were careful to note the orientation and then later put in a scientific device that measured the age and magnetic orientation. Who knew that this information came from ancient poop in Australia.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I actually remember this from a Discovery type show in the 1980's (Serious) the information was gathered from dung called Coprolite often found in the lower quadrant of Dino bones they were careful to note the orientation and then later put in a scientific device that measured the age and magnetic orientation. Who knew that this information came from ancient poop in Australia.

All sounds like a load of crap to me. :)
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123