Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

the football thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Grinder wrote:

max.patch wrote:

so all georgia has to do to win the national championship is to beat alabama in the sec championship game, and then beat em again a month later in the playoffs. and the odds of that happening is lottery-esque.
      I'll be an UGA fan like a mofo in both games if it comes to that. Of course, even if 'Bama didn't win the national championship, their fans will add another one to their total just for making the playoffs. If they actually win it, the fans will add two or three to the count. But what do you expect from a place where "uncle daddy" is a common phrase? We should be happy they're familiar with counting at all, even if they can't do it accurately.
      You seem to be having trouble with coherent thought. Missed your meds didn't you?
    • chief wrote:

Grinder wrote:

max.patch wrote:

so all georgia has to do to win the national championship is to beat alabama in the sec championship game, and then beat em again a month later in the playoffs. and the odds of that happening is lottery-esque.
      I'll be an UGA fan like a mofo in both games if it comes to that. Of course, even if 'Bama didn't win the national championship, their fans will add another one to their total just for making the playoffs. If they actually win it, the fans will add two or three to the count. But what do you expect from a place where "uncle daddy" is a common phrase? We should be happy they're familiar with counting at all, even if they can't do it accurately.
      You seem to be having trouble with coherent thought. Missed your meds didn't you?
      Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • max.patch wrote:

It could happen. Just think how different it would be if they had beaten LSU, but alas they got their azz kicked. Whatever happens now is their own doing. Are they up for it?
    • chief wrote:

max.patch wrote:

It could happen. Just think how different it would be if they had beaten LSU, but alas they got their azz kicked. Whatever happens now is their own doing. Are they up for it?
      can georgia beat alabama twice in a month? of course not.
      2,000 miler
    • OK, so during the UM-OSU debacle, it seemed that there was a pass interference call on almost every pass play. Some were clear, but it seems to me I've seen some calls in this and other games that seemed unfair to the defense. They always say the defender also has the right to get to the ball, so as long as the defender is reaching for the ball, they allow him to contact the receiver. However I've seen a few plays where the receiver and the defender are running side-by-side down the field (say with the defender on the right). The QB makes a bad throw to the right side of the defender. The receiver tries to get the ball, but can't because the defender is between him and the ball. The defender doesn't turn around and play the ball, but he also doesn't initiate any contact with the receiver (he's just running straight down the field). The receiver climbs over the defender trying to get to the ball, the ball hits the ground, the receiver acts indignant, the defender celebrates having played perfect defense, and the ref calls pass interference of the defender. So is it really the defender's responsibility to stay out of the receivers way, no matter where he wants to go? It seems to me the rules are getting more and more unfair to the defense.
    • My son's team lost in the playoffs last week with four big pass plays called back due to an ineligible receiver (lineman down field). We had not had that called on us all season! ?(
      And yes we were on the road. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • OMO, there were bad calls and non-calls in both directions during that game.

odd man out wrote:

It seems to me the rules are getting more and more unfair to the defense.
      Sadly, college ball is going the way of the NFL in that direction. Stupid fans who really don't know shyte about football think high scores and big offensive numbers are what make good football (sort of like the idiots who watch racing for the crashes), so the governing entities are giving them what they want. Personally, my dream score for a football game is 2-0. I love a good defensive battle.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • rhjanes wrote:

Some of the weekend college football scores, were basketball scores.....
      And then there was last week's 54-51 Monday Night NFL game.

But I was reading the pass interference rules. One way they could be improved is to remove the stipulation on obstructing the path of the receiver. I think if as a defender I have put myself in the spot the receiver needs to be, that's good defense and should be rewarded.
    • rhjanes wrote:

That A&M/LSU game was insane! After the third overtime I just wanted it to end, didn't care who won.

Speaking of basketball, my Buckeyes scored more points against the scUM football team than their basketball team has given up in a single game this season. finger.gif
    • Grinder wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

That A&M/LSU game was insane! After the third overtime I just wanted it to end, didn't care who won.
      Speaking of basketball, my Buckeyes scored more points against the scUM football team than their basketball team has given up in a single game this season. finger.gif
      i'm glad you were able to get that "m" key fixed.
      2,000 miler
    • i hope georgia somehow upsets alabama this weekend. that way the SEC gets 2 teams in the playoff -- which, of course -- is how it should be.

add clemson and central florida to the mix and ya got your playoffs.

i know alabama is hoping to duck UCF again.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Jake put on a show - his time will come
      Tua felt the sting - builds charactor
      Jalen sang a redemption song - a 'bama legend is born
      Nick was brought to tears - human after all?
      Kirby faked a punt - are you frickin' kidding me?

Outstanding game

Georgia deserves to be included in playoffs because they are easily one of the 4 "best"

Speaking of Georgia - where are all the fans? are they hiding out?

oh yeah, ROLL TIDE!
    • chief wrote:

Georgia deserves to be included in playoffs because they are easily one of the 4 "best"
      georgia does not deserve to be in the playoffs as they did not win their conference -- common sense dictates that if you're not even the best team in your conference -- its impossible to be the best team in the country.

ucf scored 21 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to win their conference. undefeated. again. they deserve the chance to defend their national championship. but the dumb azz committe is gonna give em the shaft.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

chief wrote:

georgia does not deserve to be in the playoffs as they did not win their conference -- common sense dictates that if you're not even the best team in your conference -- its impossible to be the best team in the country.
      well of course not, but they could be the fourth best team, for instance. it's happened before. Like it or not the best team in the country is decided in the playoffs.

For now, UCF is just another wannabe.
    • According to Associated Press - "The SEC championship thriller between Alabama and Georgia on CBS drew the highest television rating for regular-season college football game in seven years."

Gee, the talking heads were telling us fans are losing interest because of Alabama's dominance. wrong as usual.
    • chief wrote:

According to Associated Press - "The SEC championship thriller between Alabama and Georgia on CBS drew the highest television rating for regular-season college football game in seven years."

Gee, the talking heads were telling us fans are losing interest because of Alabama's dominance. wrong as usual.
      Perhaps it was because fans thought for once perhaps someone had a chance. :rolleyes:
    • chief wrote:

just to add, if UCF beats LSU in the bowl game, they'll get my respect. after that if they continue in their ways i'd be happy to say they belong in the playoffs next year.
      That is one big advantage of March Madness, if you are any good, or even just peak at the right time, you get your shot.

Even though I would later get an MBA from UofH, one of the greatest events in sports I ever saw was NC State taking down Phi Slama Jama. Great 30 for 30 called Survive and Advance. Terry Gannon taking charge from Clyde Drexler was as pivotal a play in changing the the direction in a championship as Gibson's pinch hit homer off Eckersly.
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

According to Associated Press - "The SEC championship thriller between Alabama and Georgia on CBS drew the highest television rating for regular-season college football game in seven years."

Perhaps it was because fans thought for once perhaps someone had a chance. :rolleyes:
      A chance to beat Alabama, you mean like 11 months ago? I rather think the fans know a great game may be in the offing and tune in accordingly.
    • Don't normally pay any attention to the NFL, but when I saw the Dolphins (team of my youth) upset the Patriots, I though it might be worth watching the replay while I was eating. You may just want to speed ahead to the 5:40 mark in the video. Sometimes brilliant coaches still do stupid things (or perhaps they are just willing to take more risks, and sometimes they don't workout). Worth watching. :thumbup:

msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-d…tackling-angle/ar-BBQIMFR
    • Astro wrote:

Don't normally pay any attention to the NFL, but when I saw the Dolphins (team of my youth) upset the Patriots, I though it might be worth watching the replay while I was eating. You may just want to speed ahead to the 5:40 mark in the video. Sometimes brilliant coaches still do stupid things (or perhaps they are just willing to take more risks, and sometimes they don't workout). Worth watching.
      I'm going to paraphrase the great sports write of the Wall Street Journal, Jason Gay. This was not only the greatest play in NFL history, it is the greatest play in sports history. Not just almost the entire United States is celebrating, but the entire world. The Patriots became, in one play, the Key Stone Cops. I know no one knows them, its worth finding.
    • they were talking about this on sirius/xm sat radio. howard cosell -- who happened to be a friend of john lennons -- was the first to announce his death on tv. there was a ABC producer in the hospital for a bicycle accident who overheard police talking about slain man (lennon) next to him.

2,000 miler