Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Rail Trails

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rail Trails

The Great Allegheny Passage is greatly improved since I did it in 2011. There are more Adirondack shelters along the trail, and the trail between Pittsburgh and McKeesport is now complete. I stopped in Connellsville PA yesterday and talked to a couple of bikers. I demonstrated my latest cooking setup, cooking beef ramen and mashed potatoes. The biker who saw it thought it was good.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Rail Trails

I've hiked the Great Allegheny Passage and the C+O Canal Trail.
      Both are rail trails and are mostly thought of as bicycle trails. I passed other thru hikers on both though. The C+O would be the perfect place for a persons first ever backpacking trip. The walking is easy and there are established camping areas about every 5 miles that have water pumps, picnic tables, port-a-potty and room for a number of tents. The person would not have to worry about the hiking, and could concentrate on figuring out their gear. All that plus the trail goes right by a number of towns, making resupply a simple matter. In total it's 185 miles of easy walking.

The GAP is just about as easy to walk but camping along the way takes a bit more planning. You're only supposed to camp at official sites, but let's just say that stealth camping is possible too. The official sites are at irregular distances. The surface of the GAP is much better than the C+O, so much so that I tended to walk too fast and make my feet very tired by the end of the day.

I'd recommend both, not because of their rugged terrain, because they don't have any, but because there's a tremendous amount of interesting history to learn about along both of these trails.

I've been reading up on 2 more rail trails, the Erie Canal Trail and the Katy Trail. They both look like they could be nice, in their own way. I don't know if I'd walk them or ride them, but since I won't be doing either in the near future, that decision can wait.

I forgot to mention that the C+O and the GAP run into each other so a hike of over 300 miles, from Pittsburg to Washington DC, or the other way around, is possible.
    • I've cycled the C&O in its entirety twice - once in spring, once in fall. I still prefer cycling over hiking but you'll see even more wildlife when you hike instead of whizzing along in a bike. Last winter, I did a short snowshoe hike and was rewarded with a sighting of otters in the Potomac. Most of the river was ice covered but I saw a few of them atop the ice and then one emerged out of the water with a fish in its mouth.

I lived in Frosburg, MD for 2 1/2 years and was frequently on the Great Allegheny Passage. I've cycled all of it between Cumberland and Ohiopyle State Park and hope to do a thru-ride before long - perhaps next spring.

Another wonderful trail that I've thru-cycled is the Greenbriar in West Virginia. 77 miles, flat surface, entirely along river surrounded by the Monongahala National Forest - a real treat!
    • I've biked the Katy Trail but as a group we went too fast as some members had a tight schedule.

I found it crowded with folks, horses, and unrestrained little folks which impacted our ability to ride quickly.

My next time on the KT will be either solo or just a partner with a more realistic schedule. Additionally I'm going either in early spring or late fall starting on a Monday.

For those in the Midwest, it's a great ride but not necessarily a great hike as most tenting sites require reservations, are irregularly spaced, and more expensive than expected.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Lots of rail trails near where I live, and they're all good for walking and riding. The Minute Man trail will take me from near my home almost into downtown Boston. It's very heavily traveled by people on foot, on bikes, roller blades, etc.

Years ago LoboSolo made me aware of the Virginia Creeper Trail out of Damascus, and it was a beautiful alternative to the AT leaving town.
    • rafe wrote:

Lots of rail trails near where I live, and they're all good for walking and riding. The Minute Man trail will take me from near my home almost into downtown Boston. It's very heavily traveled by people on foot, on bikes, roller blades, etc.

Years ago LoboSolo made me aware of the Virginia Creeper Trail out of Damascus, and it was a beautiful alternative to the AT leaving town.

The Ashuwillticook Rail Trail Runs from adams to almost Pittsfield. I have used it twice to do sections of the Mass AT. I dump my beater mtn. bike at one end......HMOH.....ride it back to my car.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • mobikefed.org/2016/02/advocacy…ouse-contact-your-represe

Legislation is proposed to open the Katy Trail to ATVs. If you have a future plan to hike/bike the Katy, suggest contacting the legislature or MO tourist office and state an opinion.

When I biked the trail, it was crowded but manageable. However with past negative experiences with ATVers, I predict an onslaught of alcohol impaired, high speed, dust cloud generating, and youthful operators creating issues for hikers and bicyclists.

PS :. No offense meant to members operating ATVs in a responsible manner.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • JimBlue wrote:

I've thought on going on it, but on a bicycle. While its supposed to be for hikers as well and bicyclers, I don't hike on pavement unless there is no other choice. And my relatives have already said I can ride one of their bicycles on that trail.
      The only hikers you'll see are on the very short section where the Pinhoti crosses the Ladiga.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Here is how to find all the bike trails near you.

Open Google Maps - Yes if you have to Google "google maps" Top left corner there are three lines. tap or click on that. Select bicycle if you cant zoom, the map near your intended and try again. Here is near my home. Sometimes it will light up trail heads and walking trails by accident.
      CLICK

Works all over the world here is Sydney

CLICK
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I've hiked Washington DC to Pittsburg, 300 and something miles on the C+O Canal Trail and Great Allegheny Passage. Even though those trails are mostly used by cyclists and I was one of just a small handful of thru hikers, I enjoyed the hike because there was a lot of history to learn along the way.
    • Lets be candid _ I would never hike a rail to trail, too big, too long, and most in PA are 4 percent slope one way. Fix a favorite sandwich take some water maybe ten essentials and have an outfitter pick u up and take you back after a long day... some of these are sixty miles or more.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • IM and I joked a couple of times on the AT when the trail went onto a footpath like section like the Creeper Trail "turn onto old rail formation". This instruction occurs regularly in some sections of the Bib. A lot of the Bib goes through old forest logging areas where rail used to take the logs out. The rails are long gone but the formwork they laid on remains. After some up and down sections, it is usually a very welcome guide book entry.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

the Virginia Creeper Trail North of Damascus is gorgeous! I'd post pics if I had wifi.
      When we lived in Glade Spring, VA (12 miles from Damascus) the wife and I would do an 8-mile run on the Creeper every Sunday afternoon.
      That's a pretty run! I'm jealous!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Trebor wrote:

max.patch wrote:

head east on the chief ladiga long enough and eventually you'll be about 5 miles from my house. anybody make it that far i'll buy the beer.
      I live one town away from you. Does that qualify me for a free beer?
      sure, put on your spandex and start pedaling. :)

mile marker 8 is a straight shot from my house. there is a convenience store right there. never been inside, but from the looks of it i bet they have a killer selection of malt liquor.
      2,000 miler