Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sittin on Katahdin today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sittin on Kaahdin today

maybe i'm misremembering, but isn't that one of hb's friends from last year?

no sitting around for me. see my current avatar; katahdin closed, me and one other thru hiker allowed up the mountain. everyone else sitting in town waiting for the mountain to open.
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

no sitting around for me. see my current avatar; katahdin closed, me and one other thru hiker allowed up the mountain. everyone else sitting in town waiting for the mountain to open.

MP, that is what I remember also.

So how did you and the other guy convince them to let you go up?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

alan and i went to the ranger station in the morning to check the status. the ranger was going to hike up k that day to see if they could reopen it tomorrow, but since we were thru-hikers he said we could do it instead. (no special treatment because we were thru-hikers; he said that since we walked from georgia we probably pretty much knew what we were doing.) we were required to report back at the ranger station when we returned, and we were required to carry our full packs. he inspected our gear to make sure it was adequate. we had to take our full packs because "if one of you slips and breaks a leg we can't rescue you until tomorrow and you won't survive the night up there without your sleeping bad and shelter." so up we went, had the mountain to ourselves on a gorgeous day with an incredibly deep blue sky. great way to end the trip.
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

alan and i went to the ranger station in the morning to check the status. the ranger was going to hike up k that day to see if they could reopen it tomorrow, but since we were thru-hikers he said we could do it instead. (no special treatment because we were thru-hikers; he said that since we walked from georgia we probably pretty much knew what we were doing.) we were required to report back at the ranger station when we returned, and we were required to carry our full packs. he inspected our gear to make sure it was adequate. we had to take our full packs because "if one of you slips and breaks a leg we can't rescue you until tomorrow and you won't survive the night up there without your sleeping bad and shelter." so up we went, had the mountain to ourselves on a gorgeous day with an incredibly deep blue sky. great way to end the trip.

MP, great story, thanks for sharing. Was it already in October?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General