Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Better Bacon

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Better Bacon

There are a few of us who still cook food on the trail and don't care for freeze dried meals. After years of refrigerated nitrate injected bacon - the old school way of preserving bacon has been forgotten. Farmers in Kentucky and Amish still do these old practices - but due to govt regulation and oversight, It is not sold to the public. Some companies & practices are still hanging on, and figured a way to get this to market after jumping all the FDA hoops.

For years this one of about six different micro aficionado bacon mfg still offer Shelf Stable Bacon. Smoking the meats the old fashioned way, I bet the smoker is stainless and a Million dollars. The Bacon lasts up to 30 days unrefrigerated. allowing it to be repackaged into a small quantity and refrigerate the unused portion. Honest it will disappear so fast you won't worry about it. Recent threads about precooked or microwave bacon just don't deliver - the taste, smell and good calories of energy as the fat has been removed, so pass the eggs and bacon round the campfire. You will draw a crowd at the shelter.[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/broadbent_zps73e87ea2.jpg]

http://www.broadbenthams.com/
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Better Bacon

WiseOldOwl wrote:

There are a few of us who still cook food on the trail and don't care for freeze dried meals. After years of refrigerated nitrate injected bacon - the old school way of preserving bacon has been forgotten. Farmers in Kentucky and Amish still do these old practices - but due to govt regulation and oversight, It is not sold to the public. Some companies & practices are still hanging on, and figured a way to get this to market after jumping all the FDA hoops.

For years this one of about six different micro aficionado bacon mfg still offer Shelf Stable Bacon. Smoking the meats the old fashioned way, I bet the smoker is stainless and a Million dollars. The Bacon lasts up to 30 days unrefrigerated. allowing it to be repackaged into a small quantity and refrigerate the unused portion. Honest it will disappear so fast you won't worry about it. Recent threads about precooked or microwave bacon just don't deliver - the taste, smell and good calories of energy as the fat has been removed, so pass the eggs and bacon round the campfire. You will draw a crowd at the shelter.[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/broadbent_zps73e87ea2.jpg]

I'll bet that stuff is good. I can't wait until the tomatoes come in so I can have some BLTs!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Better Bacon

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Just sent an e-mail to daughter who wanted father's day gift ideas. Until now, I didn't really have any.
    • Better Bacon

I had some for breakfast - my wife doesn't like all that pepper and so I washed it off and still there was too much pepper for her.. lesson learned - the flavor is very different from mass produced injected and more enjoyable. I tried to save a slice for salad tonight and it didn't make it.
    • Better Bacon

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I'll bet that stuff is good. I can't wait until the tomatoes come in so I can have some BLTs!!!

With fresh tomatoes I could eat BLT's three meals a day.....or....until the heart quit on me
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Better Bacon

odd man out wrote:

I recall the time my cousin's wife made us basted eggs, which I had not heard of. You fry an egg in bacon grease. You don't flip the egg but cook the top by spooning the hot bacon grease over the top.

That's the normal breakfast for me when car camping or hunting camp...fry up a lb of bacon then float three eggs in the grease, my stomach loves to see it coming....the heart goes into shock.
    • Better Bacon

odd man out wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Just sent an e-mail to daughter who wanted father's day gift ideas. Until now, I didn't really have any.

I gave bacon to my sister for Christmas. :lol:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Better Bacon

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

With fresh tomatoes I could eat BLT's three meals a day.....or....until the heart quit on me

Add an avocado to the BLT and I'm in heaven.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Better Bacon

TrafficJam wrote:

My favorite. It's not as pretty as the peppered bacon but it's delicious.

http://shop.bentonscountryham.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=hscb

TJ Ok you missed it - yes local - but it clearly says Keep Refrigerated - what we are discussing is "No Refrigeration" 30 day supply bacon.. its smoked, its cured, this is very different as its the old way to keep meat.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Better Bacon

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

All bacon is delicious...never met a slice I didn't love.

then you must not have met turkey bacon yet.

That isn't bacon.:)

Agree....that's like calling O'douls real beer....blasphemy!

Even the NC ABC commission won't consider O'douls beer. The ABC lawyer said you could give it to third graders and not get in trouble.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Even the NC ABC commission won't consider O'douls beer. The ABC lawyer said you could give it to third graders and not get in trouble.

With where we're headed you probably would if you gave them bacon.
    • Better Bacon

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TJ Ok you missed it - yes local - but it clearly says Keep Refrigerated - what we are discussing is "No Refrigeration" 30 day supply bacon.. its smoked, its cured, this is very different as its the old way to keep meat.

I thought we were just lusting over bacon.

Really, I've never noticed the "No Refrigeration". I've been told it didn't require refrigeration and I've shipped it without any problems.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Better Bacon

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Really, I've never noticed the "No Refrigeration". I've been told it didn't require refrigeration and I've shipped it without any problems.

The way I see it, bacon grease boils at a high enough temperature to kill anything growing on it.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Better Bacon

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

With where we're headed you probably would if you gave them bacon.

North Carolina is still free.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The way I see it, bacon grease boils at a high enough temperature to kill anything growing on it.

It's true that cooking bacon will kill all the pathogens but the meat could still be rancid and would taste off.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

WiseOldOwl wrote:

cool

Rasty - tonight I had to make some serious pork ribs and the Applewood smoke box did not deliver. So I went back to the kitchen and grabbed the Bacon drippings in a pyrex and brushed it on the pork and slammed the BBQ door shut to starve the oxygen... It should have caught fire. It sent smoke signals that would have attracted a fire marshal from the next county. I kept bushing it on and sealed all the juices and stopped the process when the outside was seared and hash marks were correct... about 15 minutes? The BBQ measured 400+ and as I worked it dropped to 300°... Did the steak pressure test felt soft pulled it all off and went back to the kitchen.. tested at 153° & served it. OMG! Smoky and in the last set of turns brushed a 50/50 of BBQ sauce and Apple Butter.... Deanna and family devoured it.. Didn't want to tell them the secret about the fact I drenched the pork in Bacon Drippings.WOW.

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

But at our University we had an expense voucher (to get reimbursed for entertaining a visiting seminar speaker) returned from our accounting office because we didn't have the appropriate signatures to approve the alcohol (i.e. O'Douls) purchase. We had to decide if we wanted to argue with accounting office or get the signature. We got the signature.
    • Better Bacon

The wife bought me a Duck Dynasty cook book, the first meal I tried was:

Take a large jalapeno pepper and cut in half length wise, remove core, stuff with cream cheese, wrap with a sausage patty (Jimmy Deans hot), then wrap with bacon and grill.

They were about the size of a baseball only oblong, made 16 of them and ate on them several days. A few days later I went for an annual visit to the doctor and she told me to give up pork....advice is to be given, not taken.
    • Better Bacon

AnotherKevin wrote:

Drybones wrote:

A few days later I went for an annual visit to the doctor and she told me to give up pork....advice is to be given, not taken.

I made a deal with my doctor. On a day that I spend backpacking, I can eat whatever I please. It helps get me out there. :)

we must have the same doctor. :)

my boys figured this out. when i asked them to choose where to hike, sometimes they would say springer or blood, but usually it was "where we will end up near the smith house" (ayce family style in dahlonega) or "where we will end up near the bbq place with the onion rings" (pink pig in cherry log).
      2,000 miler
    • Better Bacon

AnotherKevin wrote:

Drybones wrote:

A few days later I went for an annual visit to the doctor and she told me to give up pork....advice is to be given, not taken.

I made a deal with my doctor. On a day that I spend backpacking, I can eat whatever I please. It helps get me out there. :)

I have this fantasy of stopping at a convenience store mid hike, eating a whole bag of potato chips, and not feeling guilty about it. I don't care what the Dr. thinks..
    • Better Bacon

odd man out wrote:

I have this fantasy of stopping at a convenience store mid hike, eating a whole bag of potato chips, and not feeling guilty about it. I don't care what the Dr. thinks..

i remember getting a quart of ice cream and a 2 liter coke and when that snack was gone resuming hiking. if i tried that today i'd probably go into a diabetic coma.
      2,000 miler