Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ideas and Queries On Cameras

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ideas and Queries On Cameras

OK. I have some queries about GoPros and thought I could put them in a generic thread about cameras where people can put ideas and experiences as well as questions about cameras in general.

First my experience.
      On my AT hike I used an Olympus Tough TG1 camera.
      It's pros were very shockproof, very waterproof and excellent optics.
      Cons were limited zoom (4x) (note I only count optical zoom - digital zoom is a waste of time you can enlarge the image later with same resolution), and in my case an intermittent "ticking" noise when videoing.
      Overall thoroughly recommend it.
      Only time I felt bad about it was when photographing two moose in a lake and my companion from Germany with a Canon (Powershot?) with more than 50x zoom was able to photograph clearly the flies buzzing around their heads. Cons for him was the need to protect his camera from the elements and slightly more weight.

Now my query.
      Does anyone have experience of using a GoPro while walking?
      For our upcoming Camino Annie and I are considering getting one IF we can get smoother video with it.
      Any experiences would be welcome.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I quit carrying a camera last year and just use my phone. Photography isn't an interest of mine so the phone works fine for me.

Go Pro: The only people I know who use them are cyclists. I'd like one for my helmet so I have evidence of the ass***** I encounter on the roads.
      Lost in the right direction.

Camera phone and larger trips I bring a Nikon Coolpix - I too have struggled with GoPro - I just don't do anything that exciting that needs HD - I thought about it a lot. Mount the camera to the chest and hike a trail then in the winter play it back on a large monitor in front of the treadmill... odd huh.. haven't done it yet. My cell phone can do it just lack a stabilizer, with a 32 MB chip.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I pulled a Nikon D80 out of storage. Expect some better pictures from me now. If you want full resolution, you might have to put up with Flickr ads.

As long as I keep paying Flickr, i get to stay ad-free, at least so far. (I started paying them for unlimited capacity, back when the free version was pretty tight.)

I'm starting to host the full-resolution panoramas myself. Flickr doesn't seem to provide a good panning and zooming viewer. I'm not really satisfied with what I've done so far, but I threw up a proof of concept at kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/te…a=41.9712&lo=-74.4104&z=8. Read the first level of the map as saying, "there are 7 images in the Capital Region, 26 in the eastern Catskills, 5 in the western Catskills, 2 in the Taconics, and 1 in Harriman" and click any of the clusters to break them apart.

Don't ask what I go through setting this up. It's really haywire.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.