Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sleeping Pad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sleeping Pad

For the first time ever I measured my sleeping pad when it's rolled up.
      It's a full length, self inflating, Thermarest that's about 15 years old and measures 7 by 11 as it goes into my pack. That's folded in half the long way and then rolled up.
      I'm wondering what the size of other inflatable pads are as they go into your pack.
      So get out your tape measure and let's hear the size of your pad as it goes into your pack.
    • Sleeping Pad

I don't even think of using a self inflating pad anymore. Only use thicker air mats like NeoAir. Newest one is (metric sorry) 185cm x 59cm x 7.5cm thick non insulated (R value 0.7) pad that is 25cm by 7.5cm rolled up.
      Weighs 470gm.
      Preferred mats are the Big Agnes Q Core and similar but can't get them here. The new one only costs me $35 staff price at work. :whistle:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Sleeping Pad

I now carry a thermarest. Older model. I think over a lb. Worth the weight for a good night sleep. I've never had on on a long distance hike & loved the ability to throw out what ever closed cell foam pad I had for a break & not worry about puntures. As I get older I like a litle more comfort to sleep. Rest is very important on a hike in my opinion.

Quick story: When on PCT in 98 a girlfriend came with me for an extended week. We cowboy camped at the shore of Lake Aloha in Desolation wilderness on a flat piece of granite.. I woke up about 4am because I was cold. It was so bright I though it was dawn but it was just the moonlight reflecting off the cliffs. I was cold since my girlfriend had been spooning me so much she pushed me off my pad onto the rock that had since lost it's residual heat. I had just gotten over her & onto her now empty therm a rest when the sound of my sleeping bag zipper woke her up. :ohmy: After her disorientation of me being on the other side of her became clear I had to give it back to her. 52.gif
    • Sleeping Pad

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I now carry a thermarest. Older model. I think over a lb. Worth the weight for a good night sleep. I've never had on on a long distance hike & loved the ability to throw out what ever closed cell foam pad I had for a break & not worry about puntures. As I get older I like a litle more comfort to sleep. Rest is very important on a hike in my opinion.

Quick story: When on PCT in 98 a girlfriend came with me for an extended week. We cowboy camped at the shore of Lake Aloha in Desolation wilderness on a flat piece of granite.. I woke up about 4am because I was cold. It was so bright I though it was dawn but it was just the moonlight reflecting off the cliffs. I was cold since my girlfriend had been spooning me so much she pushed me off my pad onto the rock that had since lost it's residual heat. I had just gotten over her & onto her now empty therm a rest when the sound of my sleeping bag zipper woke her up. :ohmy: After her disorientation of me being on the other side of her became clear I had to give it back to her. 52.gif

Another great story from MM!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Sleeping Pad

During those scouting pack trips, we did the leaves, moss and pine bow sleeping pad. While in the Corps, one of our officers carried this rolled up spongey pad thingy! By the time I got out LNT was the way to go.....I bought one of those spongy things.....nirvanna! Around '85', backpacker/ wilderness travel magazine had an article about these real thin blow up pads made by thermarest. You know it, orange, rolled 8" x 18" :woohoo: , heavenly......it is still perfectly serviceable. I replaced it last year with a neo-air....but the old one stays in the Fish Car for car and cot camping.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Sleeping Pad

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Are you sure it was the sound of the sleeping bag zipper that woke her up? ;)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Sleeping Pad

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

You're insinuating she heard him opening the Oreos she had in her pack, right?
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Sleeping Pad

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Why, of course. gif.016
    • Sleeping Pad

TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Why, of course. gif.016

I figured as much. Nurses being saintly and all that.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • max.patch wrote:

i want to like it, but the neo air to me is the most uncomfortable pad i've ever laid on. at this point a prolite regular is in my future. nothing wrong with my ancient old school thermarest except that takes up too much space in my new school pack.

you 're doing it wrong!!
      i have a neoair xtherm, and it is the most comfortable pad ive ever had. durable too.
      did you inflate it first?

hey, pyop
      its all good
    • The key with all the neo air type pads is letting out just enough air. If you're uncomfortable on one it is probably over inflated. When lying on it your hip shoud be no more than an inch from the ground. If you prop yourself up you should bottom out.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Dmax's pad is listed at 18.1 ounces on the Klymit web site wile the insulated version is 25 ounces.

I've got a leak in my 14 year old, full length, Thermarest, self-inflating, pad.
      Having some foam in it makes it good for use in all 4 seasons and it's 19 or 20 ounces, if my memory serves me correctly.
      Now I need to decide patch, or buy new.
    • I have heard good things about the Static V and am considering getting one. Would like to hear more reviews. I see they now have a Static V2 and was wondering what the different is. I want a wide pad (wider than the standard 20"), but don't need an extra long one (most wide pads are also extra long) and the Static V seems to fit the bill. Right now I have a Neoair Trekker (wide/torso). It is the on only Neoair that came in the wide short size. It worked OK, but I could get a Static V2 that is almost as wide, full length, and about the same weight (16.33 oz). The Neoair Xlite large is about the same weight, but is x long and costs 2X or more. I also like the Static V2 because I think it would take a lot less time to inflate. It would help if I could sell a used Neoair trekker with a few blood stains (cut my elbow last hike). I wonder how much that depreciates the price?
    • odd man out wrote:

I have heard good things about the Static V and am considering getting one. Would like to hear more reviews. I see they now have a Static V2 and was wondering what the different is. I want a wide pad (wider than the standard 20"), but don't need an extra long one (most wide pads are also extra long) and the Static V seems to fit the bill. Right now I have a Neoair Trekker (wide/torso). It is the on only Neoair that came in the wide short size. It worked OK, but I could get a Static V2 that is almost as wide, full length, and about the same weight (16.33 oz). The Neoair Xlite large is about the same weight, but is x long and costs 2X or more. I also like the Static V2 because I think it would take a lot less time to inflate. It would help if I could sell a used Neoair trekker with a few blood stains (cut my elbow last hike). I wonder how much that depreciates the price?

If I had to replace mine, I would go with a V2. I think the 70 on the bottom and 30 on top would work just the same. ... Unless they start building them wider and a little short like the one they just made for John. A. For his upcoming desert hike. Then I might go with that size.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Dmax's pad is listed at 18.1 ounces on the Klymit web site wile the insulated version is 25 ounces.

I've got a leak in my 14 year old, full length, Thermarest, self-inflating, pad.
      Having some foam in it makes it good for use in all 4 seasons and it's 19 or 20 ounces, if my memory serves me correctly.
      Now I need to decide patch, or buy new.

Great thing about buying new is you go much lighter. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re: Sleeping Pad

TrafficJam wrote:

Is it okay to fold my thermarest pad or should I keep rolling it and using the stuff sack? Things fit better in my pack if it's folded.

It won't hurt it to be folded. Some people with frameless packs fold their air pad in thirds or fourths and put the pad against their back and add a little air to make a frame
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Is it okay to fold my thermarest pad or should I keep rolling it and using the stuff sack? Things fit better in my pack if it's folded.

It won't hurt it to be folded. Some people with frameless packs fold their air pad in thirds or fourths and put the pad against their back and add a little air to make a frame

That makes sense. I cut a piece from a foam pad and put it in my OHM 2...didn't think about using the sleeping pad. :)
    • Just purchased 2 Big Agnes Insulated Q Core mats (long) on Black Friday discount from REI.
      Now I just have to wait (considerably longer than you guys would) for delivery.
      What I love about these pads apart from the thickness is that the sides are slightly raised so your backside gets a warning that it's about to slide off.
      They may not be ultralight, but without a comfortable sleep, I don't hike multiday.
      For me it's a no brainer. The sleep quality is worth the weight.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I have a 3/4 Thermarest Prolite Plus, roll all the air out of mine then fold it up to a square and put it at the very bottom, flat, in my pack, it helps stabilize and keep the pack upright while I then pack everything in it..takes up less room I feel as well then rolled up.
      RIAP
    • I just changed from a prolite 3 to a NeoAir all season. No complaints, but it's not ultralight at 19oz. I like the extra loft from a blowup vs self inflating.It's awesome for the winter, I just hope it's not too hot for the summer.

LIhikers wrote:

Now if could just find that pin hole leak I'd be all set

Try using a spray bottle with a little dawn and water mixed up. It should bubble where the hole it.
    • Tangent wrote:

I just changed from a prolite 3 to a NeoAir all season. No complaints, but it's not ultralight at 19oz. I like the extra loft from a blowup vs self inflating.It's awesome for the winter, I just hope it's not too hot for the summer.

LIhikers wrote:

Now if could just find that pin hole leak I'd be all set

Try using a spray bottle with a little dawn and water mixed up. It should bubble where the hole it.

Extremely difficult to overheat from a pad. The insulation keeps the frozen ground from leaking through and chilling you during the winter. During summer the ground is cool when not in direct sunlight.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123