Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sleeping Pad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tangent wrote:

I just changed from a prolite 3 to a NeoAir all season. No complaints, but it's not ultralight at 19oz. I like the extra loft from a blowup vs self inflating.It's awesome for the winter, I just hope it's not too hot for the summer.

I reiterate: In deep winter in Appalachia, you need two pads, and one of them has to be foam. If all you have is an inflatable, if it springs a leak on the trail you're hosed. Maybe even "freeze to death" level hosed.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Tangent wrote:

I just changed from a prolite 3 to a NeoAir all season. No complaints, but it's not ultralight at 19oz. I like the extra loft from a blowup vs self inflating.It's awesome for the winter, I just hope it's not too hot for the summer.

I reiterate: In deep winter in Appalachia, you need two pads, and one of them has to be foam. If all you have is an inflatable, if it springs a leak on the trail you're hosed. Maybe even "freeze to death" level hosed.

If I spring a leak I patch it with ducktape and move on. No worries. Also, even in single digit temps, never seemed so cold my winter bag couldn't keep me alive by itself. I think the pad is more of a luxury. I can always use pine needles and leaves if I absolutely had to.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tangent ().

• Tangent wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Tangent wrote:

If I spring a leak I patch it with ducktape and move on. No worries. Also, even in single digit temps, never seemed so cold my winter bag couldn't keep me alive by itself. I think the pad is more of a luxury. I can always use pine needles and leaves if I absolutely had to.

Duct tape sticks well to the older therm-a-rest models that have heavier fabric, but it does not adhere well to models that are made if silnylon and in my experience it won't create and airtight seal. The neoairs require the patch that thermarest makes, i think they now include one with the pad.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Tangent wrote:

Do you put the foam pad on top of the inflatable or under it?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Tangent wrote:

Do you put the foam pad on top of the inflatable or under it?

I feel a schism coming on! (Maybe I'll make some popcorn)
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • Tangent wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Tangent wrote:

Pine needles work pretty well, I've hung my hammock low and surrounded it with needles, wouldn't want to try that if it were in the teens tho.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • On this note, what is the most comfortable sleeping pad you've ever owned? I currently have the 3/4 length thermarest. It's hugely uncomfortable on my back (probably due to breaking it back in November {my back, that is}) and when I sleep on my side, my shoulder gets pushed painfully into the ground. It's doable, but a better night's sleep is worth figuring out before I hit the AT.
      Looking at this expensive ass thing: amazon.com/Therm-a-Rest-Neo-Ai…words=neoair+sleeping+pad

Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air Xtherm Sleeping Pad - $200!?! I could almost buy a real mattress for a regular bed for that price! Is it worth the cost?
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

On this note, what is the most comfortable sleeping pad you've ever owned? I currently have the 3/4 length thermarest. It's hugely uncomfortable on my back (probably due to breaking it back in November {my back, that is}) and when I sleep on my side, my shoulder gets pushed painfully into the ground. It's doable, but a better night's sleep is worth figuring out before I hit the AT.
      Looking at this expensive ass thing: amazon.com/Therm-a-Rest-Neo-Ai…words=neoair+sleeping+pad

Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air Xtherm Sleeping Pad - $200!?! I could almost buy a real mattress for a regular bed for that price! Is it worth the cost?

I started out with a Therm-a-Rest Zlite...but as I get older I find it just isn't comfy enough for me, my h tips end up hurting in the middle of the night. I had switched to the Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus 3/4 length. Which is great, self inflatable, and many trail nights. I combine the above 2 in colder months. But my impulses and 10% deals combined with a gift card at Christmas enabled me to get the NeoAir XLite...I have yet to try it out on the trail , but its very light weight and testing it is also thick and comfortable.
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by A.T.Lt ().

• twistwrist wrote:

On this note, what is the most comfortable sleeping pad you've ever owned? I currently have the 3/4 length thermarest. It's hugely uncomfortable on my back (probably due to breaking it back in November {my back, that is}) and when I sleep on my side, my shoulder gets pushed painfully into the ground. It's doable, but a better night's sleep is worth figuring out before I hit the AT.

durable and comfortable, even though im a side sleeper. ive spent over 150 nights sleeping on it without issue.
      its all good
    • I'm also starting to wonder more about hammock camping. Seems a good option for folks with back problems.

Had a good night in my Lightheart Solo in the backyard last night, but got pretty hard to get comfortable after about 5-6 hours of sleep. Plus the condensation was pretty heavy inside the tent. Would have helped if I'd have left the rain fly up and allowed some ventilation I guess. Definitely, though, the more I camp on it, the more I realize that sleeping pad I've got now isn't going to do it for me.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I subscribe to the notion that having a good, comfortable nights sleep is very important and feel regardless, you shouldn't skimp on any gear that would make you the most comfortable.

I agree. My belief is don't skimp on anything gear wise. Skimp on cakes and cookies if you must.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • twistwrist wrote:

If you overinflate an inflatable pad it gets very uncomfortable for your back.
      If you sleep a lot on your side, and your shoulder and hips bottom out your current pad, than a thicker pad is probably needed.
    • I find my Klymit static V very comfortable. I sleep good on it too, knowing the price.

But, on my next hike in April Im just taking my ccf ridgerest. If I have a long day of hiking and a few spirits around the fire, I can sleep just about anywhere. For me I find that anything over 10 miles, I could sleep on a pile of rocks. If not the first night, the second for sure.

as far as hammocks go, do your research. Find the style that people with bad backs use. Not all hammocks are the same. I have a bad back and my wife's Eno won't work for me. But I'm sure there is one out there that would. But for now, im happy with the ground and keeping my weight low.. Keeping the weight low is the biggest help for my back, for me.
    • The link you provided has far more R Factor than you need if leaving in May/June and basically doing summer hiking like I do mostly.

I would recommend the NeoAir XLite instead. Not quite as expensive, I got mine for a little over $100 and I would also recommend buying the carrying case (rolls up to not much more than a coke can). I have the prior version that is rectangular, but with the rounded corners you save at least an ounce. I have had mine a few years and spent probably around 75 nights on it. The advice about not filling up to the max is also good. I consider an investment in something that weighs less and helps you sleep better, a very good investment. :)

amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-Therm-…8-2&keywords=neoair+xlite
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

The link you provided has far more R Factor than you need if leaving in May/June and basically doing summer hiking like I do mostly.

I would recommend the NeoAir XLite instead. Not quite as expensive, I got mine for a little over $100 and I would also recommend buying the carrying case (rolls up to not much more than a coke can). I have the prior version that is rectangular, but with the rounded corners you save at least an ounce. I have had mine a few years and spent probably around 75 nights on it. The advice about not filling up to the max is also good. I consider an investment in something that weighs less and helps you sleep better, a very good investment. :)

amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-Therm-…8-2&keywords=neoair+xlite

Looked a little closer at the Amazon details, and it looks like the stuff sack may come with it (don't know why I called it carrying case earlier).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thanks, as always everyone!
      I'm going to try to give my current system a bit more of fair shake since I've already invested so much in it. I've got lots of good hiking between now and my departure date in June, so I'll figure it all out by then....and will still do it all wrong.

• twistwrist wrote:

Thanks, as always everyone!
      I'm going to try to give my current system a bit more of fair shake since I've already invested so much in it. I've got lots of good hiking between now and my departure date in June, so I'll figure it all out by then....and will still do it all wrong.

I have the XTherm Neo-Air, carried it for 2 summers. I got tired of sticking to it in hot weather, flipping it over helped. I went to the All-season Neo-Air instead, couple ozs. heavier but doesn't need a sheet to keep from sticking. If you want the Xtherm and are short(I shortened a large) maybe we can work something out. I am 5ft. 3 inches and it is a perfect full length for me and 25 inches wide.
    • I'm 5'6". I'm going to try to stick with my current system a while longer before investing more money right now.
      When/if the time does come to spend more on different options, I'm leaning toward trying out hammock camping. Thanks though!

• After changing my mind a half dozen times, I bought a BA Insulated Q Core SL today. I have no doubt it will sleep well but the filling and emptying of air may cause me not to stay with it. I bought the BA fill bag and was disappointed in how well it worked, took probably 10 minutes to fill the pad, the Exped Synmat 7 only took a minute or so and required less than two bags of air from the Snozzle bag to fill. Also took a long time to get the air out, would be great if it had the type valves Exped had. I'm hoping the R-value rating is correct at 4.5 but I question it, I've had problems with BA sleeping bag ratings in the past.
    • With the big pads I do it in stages.
      A half dozen puffs when you claim your space in the tent or shelter. At least 10 minutes later a few more and so on. Don't leave a fully inflated pad unattended when in a group. An accidental tread on it is more likely to damage.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Drybones wrote:

After changing my mind a half dozen times, I bought a BA Insulated Q Core SL today. I have no doubt it will sleep well but the filling and emptying of air may cause me not to stay with it. I bought the BA fill bag and was disappointed in how well it worked, took probably 10 minutes to fill the pad, the Exped Synmat 7 only took a minute or so and required less than two bags of air from the Snozzle bag to fill. Also took a long time to get the air out, would be great if it had the type valves Exped had. I'm hoping the R-value rating is correct at 4.5 but I question it, I've had problems with BA sleeping bag ratings in the past.

its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

After changing my mind a half dozen times, I bought a BA Insulated Q Core SL today. I have no doubt it will sleep well but the filling and emptying of air may cause me not to stay with it. I bought the BA fill bag and was disappointed in how well it worked, took probably 10 minutes to fill the pad, the Exped Synmat 7 only took a minute or so and required less than two bags of air from the Snozzle bag to fill. Also took a long time to get the air out, would be great if it had the type valves Exped had. I'm hoping the R-value rating is correct at 4.5 but I question it, I've had problems with BA sleeping bag ratings in the past.

Thanks....I'll have to give that a try, believe it'll work better than the $20 BA bag...and I already have a whole roll of compactor trash bags.
    • twistwrist wrote:

I really like my Exped SYNMAT UL 7 M. 21" wide, 72" long, 2.8" thick and R 3.3 I'm a side-sleeper, with boney hips, and never hit bottom. It is relatively heavy at 16 ozs ... Some are turned off by the longitudinal baffles (shrug) I was always very comfortable. The outer two baffles are slightly thicker, I never rolled off. The short version is same width, same thickness, same R factor, but 64" long, and 14 oz ... At OR Exped announced their new SynMat Hyperlite Sleeping Pad. 71"L, 20.5"W, 2.75" Thick, R3.2 ,and 11.6-ounces, they claimed it to be the lightest insulated sleeping pad. Due out this spring, it will be available in three sizes. So that might be worth waiting to check out.

Thermorest's Woman's Neoair X-Lite 20" wide, 66" long, 2.5" thick, R3.9, and at 12oz, it seems like a better solution. It's a sweet spot between the gender-neutral X-Lite short and long, and would likely be the pad I'd buy today - if my hips didn't hit the ground.

And I'd buy one, but I won't give up my hammock till all the trees are gone ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • I took yall's advice and let some of the air out while laying on top of my sleeping pad. I found that helped a lot as did sleeping more on my side. Going to ride this one out a while keeping hammocks in the back of my mind. Truly, there's nothing I love more than a hammock by day, so I'm tempted to play around with one by night eventually.

This spot is my heaven on earth...my healing place.
      Images
      • hammock.jpg

178.04 kB, 800×478, viewed 185 times