Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sleeping Pad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Not All Season, but I bought a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Air Mattress 4.5 years ago that I am happy with. If I was buying one today I would get the NeoAir XLite. But of course I hike mostly in the South and the AT in the summer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I have used the All-season for about 600 miles. I got a large and gave it a haircut/reseal job to make it 5ft3in. inflated. I found it works better than the other neo-Airs because I don't stick to the fabric when it is hot. I also have an X-Therm but it is horrible in non-winter use, sleeping in a puddle of sweat is no fun. Flipping it over to the dark side helps some. I was not warm enough with the regular Neo-Air X-lite. Even though the All-season is a bit heavier, it works better and crinkles less. Just when I though I was done with my gear obsession, Ex-ped has come out with a new Synmat in wide/medium length, same R value as the All-season. Now to try vertical baffles and even thicker! So glad my Mom finances the Happy Hiker Fund!
    • I went ahead and bought the NeoAir All Season pad in the 72 inch length which weighs 19 ounces, according to the package.
      Since I hope to use it year round I figured best to get the full length so my feet are up on it in winter.
      I've never had a pad this thick (2.5 inches) before and it takes quite a bit to blow it up. It comes with a small battery operated pump which I don't see myself using and a field repair kit. I tried it out on our bedroom floor and it's gonna take some trial and error until I know how much to inflate it for the most comfortable night's sleep. I won't be able to get out until July, for some nights on the trail.
      Once I've used it a bit I'll give a review.
      SandyofPA, thanks for your thoughts on it!
    • LIhikers wrote:

I went ahead and bought the NeoAir All Season pad in the 72 inch length which weighs 19 ounces, according to the package.
      Since I hope to use it year round I figured best to get the full length so my feet are up on it in winter.
      I've never had a pad this thick (2.5 inches) before and it takes quite a bit to blow it up. It comes with a small battery operated pump which I don't see myself using and a field repair kit. I tried it out on our bedroom floor and it's gonna take some trial and error until I know how much to inflate it for the most comfortable night's sleep. I won't be able to get out until July, for some nights on the trail.
      I just upgraded from a Therm A Rest ProLite to a NeoAir myself. I went for the large size which is 78x25 and 2 1/2 inches thick. Mine didn't come with the little air pump, I wish it had. Last weekend I slept on it in the living room and on Saturday night I used it in my hammock. Both ways are going to take some trial and error but I think I'm going to be happy once I get it dialed in the way I like.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I went ahead and bought the NeoAir All Season pad in the 72 inch length which weighs 19 ounces, according to the package.
      I just upgraded from a Therm A Rest ProLite to a NeoAir myself. I went for the large size which is 78x25 and 2 1/2 inches thick. Mine didn't come with the little air pump, I wish it had. Last weekend I slept on it in the living room and on Saturday night I used it in my hammock. Both ways are going to take some trial and error but I think I'm going to be happy once I get it dialed in the way I like.
      Perhaps LIhikers has a pump he will sell you. ;)
    • Astro wrote:

Trebor wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Perhaps LIhikers has a pump he will sell you. ;)
      Yep, I'm willing.

Trebor, PM me your mailing address and I'll send it to you.
      I just see it as one more thing to break and eat up batteries
    • I had the first outdoor trial of the NeoAir All Season pad the past couple of nights while car camping in a local park.
      I've never had a pad this thick before and I'm still playing with the amount of inflation I need.
      These 2 nights I inflated the pad more than I needed and then, while laying on my side, let air out until my hip or shoulder almost touched the ground. Then when laying flat on my back, or on my side, I was never on the ground. It seemed comfortable enough.
      I'll give more feedback as I use the pad more.
    • I pump mine up with a Big Agnes pumpsack. I also use it to put the deflated Neo-Air in my pack, I have had to patch the pumpsack once but not the Neo-Air. I used the All-season again on my spring hike, still like it better than the Exped Synmat. The Exped cannot be custom shortened like a Neo-Air.
    • LIhikers wrote:

What I'm really worried about is our dog puncturing the mat, as she sleeps in the tent with me and my wife.
      One of my favorite stories: Mark and I were in camp, sitting against a log passing the bottle and shooting the breeze:

Me: what do you use for your dog's sleeping pad?
      Mark: a short Themarest.
      Me: I couldn't use that for my dog because he chews on stuff at night.
      Mark: my dog never chews on anything.
      Me: what's that your dog has in his mouth at your tent door?
      Mark: my $500 WM sleeping bag.

I had some Kenyon tape with me and we repaired 5 holes.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I don't have any Big Agnes gear...yet.
      I'm considering a couple of their tents made for bike packing as I hope to ride my bicycle across the country in a couple of years.
      I have been very happy with my Big Agnes Tiger Wall. Used BA Fly Creek for most of AT and a few other trails. But now as I have aged my body really appreciates the side door. :)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I don't have any Big Agnes gear...yet.
      I'm considering a couple of their tents made for bike packing as I hope to ride my bicycle across the country in a couple of years.
      I have been very happy with my Big Agnes Tiger Wall. Used BA Fly Creek for most of AT and a few other trails. But now as I have aged my body really appreciates the side door. :)
      The Tiger Wall is one of the tents I'm considering, but in the bike packing version. I believe the only difference is the length of each pole section.