Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Suggestions/input please

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestions/input please

In September, come hell or high water, I'm spending five or six days out playing pack sniffer. I have a couple of "be here on this date" things and plan to spend the time between them on the trail.

I have confidence I can do ten mile days if it's not horrible terrain wise. In 2012 I did tens fairly easily in the Roan Highlands area, and I was sick as well as 30-40 lbs heavier than I am right now. The day I met Rasty, I did 11.7 looking at it now in my guidebook. Carvers Gap to Stan Murray Shelter, Stan Murray back to Carvers Gap, and then back to the shelter when I said "screw this, stay out here" after getting to my car at Carvers Gap. Next day I went Stan Murray shelter to Little Hump then back to Carvers Gap, for 10.9. Again, with a chest cold and fat/out of shape. Not trying to be cocky here (I know ten miles a day isn't jack shit), just trying to give you folks something to work with to provide opinions.

On the 12th I'll be in Brevard NC for day one of a music festival (going to see Della Mae--if you haven't heard of them give a listen). On the 19th I need to be in Hagerstown MD that evening for lectures preceding a weekend tour of the Sharpsburg battlefield.

Option 1: As I mentioned the other day in TJ's trip report, 19E to Erwin (or the NOBO version) is looking good. Unfortunately it's not really anywhere near either "be here" place so driving to/from would eat more time that could be spent hiking.

Option 2: On the 13th, head north from Winding Stair Gap (109.8), that being a little over an hour and a half drive from Brevard. I haven't yet looked at that section to see what the terrain is like. Anyway, head north from there planning to reach X (Fontana is in the 60ish mile range). I know I'd have to set up a shuttle and such along with factoring that into my travel time. Hagerstown is about an 8 hour drive from Franklin. If I choose this one I'd probably have to plan only five days hiking. I don't have to be in Hagerstown until around 6:00 p.m. but I don't want to cut it too close.

Option 3: On the 13th go ahead and make the drive up to Harpers Ferry or anywhere in the vicinity and hike either north or south from there, leaving me with only the need for a shuttle and a very short drive to Hagerstown on the 19th. It's only a 7 1/2 hour drive from Brevard to Harpers Ferry so I could drive it and be on trail in the afternoon for a short hiking day. Obviously this option is wide open for suggestions which direction and section. I haven't looked at that one at all.

Option 4+: Taking into consideration the 7 1/2-8 hour drive from the Brevard/Franklin NC area to Hagerstown, any other 50-60 miles-ish suggestions are also welcome.

I'll say thanks now for any and all input.

If anyone would like to join me, that'd be cool too.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

TrafficJam wrote:

I don't like driving a long way after finishing a hike. I don't sleep good on the trail and it's dangerous to get behind the wheel.

That was also a consideration, I just didn't mention it. I already hate driving anything more than a couple hours any more, so add in that I may or may not sleep well and it makes the drive-north-first option look much better. The other nice thing is that IF I miss the Friday part it's no harm. It's not as if the lectures are mandatory for the tour. So if I turn the drive into much longer with stops it won't do any harm.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

well, since you asked....the concert will take a day and then the drive to the battlefield area will take another day. is the concert worth 2 days of vacation? wouldn't be to me on a short vacation. whatever you do i hope you have fun and get good weather.
      2,000 miler

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I don't like driving a long way after finishing a hike. I don't sleep good on the trail and it's dangerous to get behind the wheel.

That was also a consideration, I just didn't mention it. I already hate driving anything more than a couple hours any more, so add in that I may or may not sleep well and it makes the drive-north-first option look much better. The other nice thing is that IF I miss the Friday part it's no harm. It's not as if the lectures are mandatory for the tour. So if I turn the drive into much longer with stops it won't do any harm.

Can't give much advice except that I enjoyed that section that TJ did which is why I voted for it in her case. Memory too hazy already for specific sections.
      HOWEVER re driving after hiking. If you don't have adequate "cool down" time between hiking and driving you WILL get out of the car and have real issues with stiffness and cramping. It is not good to spend lengthy periods with minimal leg movement after hiking, especially a section hike of 50 to 100 miles.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Re:Re: Suggestions/input please

OzJacko wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Can't give much advice except that I enjoyed that section that TJ did which is why I voted for it in her case. Memory too hazy already for specific sections.
      HOWEVER re driving after hiking. If you don't have adequate "cool down" time between hiking and driving you WILL get out of the car and have real issues with stiffness and cramping. It is not good to spend lengthy periods with minimal leg movement after hiking, especially a section hike of 50 to 100 miles.

I do exactly that after hikes and pay for it for about a week.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Let me suggest a totally different hike for you to consider since you're going to be up that way anyhow. How about a hike on the C+O Canal trail? It's really a bicycle trail that follows the old mule path along the C+O canal so the walking is dead flat and easy making high mileage days a possibility. But since it parallels the Potomac river, and of course the canal, it's quite nice. That, plus there's plenty to learn along the way about Civil War history, the whys and hows of the C+O canal, early settlement of the country, and more. There are places to camp about every 5, or so, miles that have picnic benches, water pumps, and port-a-potties. Also, depending what part of it you walk, the trail goes right by a number of towns. For more info check out www.bikecando.com
    • Re:Re: Re:Suggestions/input please

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

19e to Erwin would be my suggestion. Fairly easy shuttle also.

It's a 35 mile shuttle

The breakfast at Mountain Harbour Hostel was the talk of the trail. It's 0.3 mi from the trailhead at 19e. I regret that I missed it.

I have heard the same things, and share the same regret. I will have to catch it next time I go through there.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

max.patch wrote:

well, since you asked....the concert will take a day and then the drive to the battlefield area will take another day. is the concert worth 2 days of vacation? wouldn't be to me on a short vacation. whatever you do i hope you have fun and get good weather.

Out of a 28 day vacation, definitely worth it. I could get more time but I've got a few other things planned and this window works the best.

Besides, if I don't go to the concert how on earth am I supposed to meet my next ex-wife? I have a mad crush on the band's mandolin player. :p

I don't think I mentioned 28 days in the original post; the 5 or 6 is just the window I've made for trail time.

I have some other stuff going on, could've made more time, etc, but this works.

I hope that ^^^ doesn't come across sounding like a dickhead. I appreciate all the input.

I've done the section from Winding Stair north. Some very nice views, especially at Waylah Bald/Tower ( I may have spelled that wrong. Some fairly good climbs and decents, notably into and out of the NOC. I have some pictures I can post later if you want.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Re:Suggestions/input please

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

19e to Erwin would be my suggestion. Fairly easy shuttle also.

It's a 35 mile shuttle

The breakfast at Mountain Harbour Hostel was the talk of the trail. It's 0.3 mi from the trailhead at 19e. I regret that I missed it.

If you missed the MH breakfast you screwed up big time.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Grinder wrote:

I don't think I mentioned 28 days in the original post; the 5 or 6 is just the window I've made for trail time.

I hope that ^^^ doesn't come across sounding like a dickhead. I appreciate all the input.

Can we get a button for that?

Drybones wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Can we get a button for that?

A mushroom for the icon?

LIhikers wrote:

Let me suggest a totally different hike for you to consider since you're going to be up that way anyhow. How about a hike on the C+O Canal trail? It's really a bicycle trail that follows the old mule path along the C+O canal so the walking is dead flat and easy making high mileage days a possibility. But since it parallels the Potomac river, and of course the canal, it's quite nice. That, plus there's plenty to learn along the way about Civil War history, the whys and hows of the C+O canal, early settlement of the country, and more. There are places to camp about every 5, or so, miles that have picnic benches, water pumps, and port-a-potties. Also, depending what part of it you walk, the trail goes right by a number of towns. For more info check out www.bikecando.com

My recent houseguest John who did the Bib (had a trail journal at trailjournals.com under name Plethodon if you want to contact him) advised me C&O trail is nice. AT follows it for a mile or so and certainly flat. Harpers Ferryworth some time as well, especially for you guys as it's your history not mine and I liked it.
      John also told me that in essence the Shenandoah part of the trail goes along the ridgeline and regularly crosses trails that go down water courses that invariably have nice waterfalls. He said there are numerous spots you can park, walk up past a lovely waterfall, walk a section of AT and then down past another waterfall back to car.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My recent houseguest John who did the Bib (had a trail journal at trailjournals.com under name Plethodon if you want to contact him) advised me C&O trail is nice. AT follows it for a mile or so and certainly flat. Harpers Ferryworth some time as well, especially for you guys as it's your history not mine and I liked it.
      John also told me that in essence the Shenandoah part of the trail goes along the ridgeline and regularly crosses trails that go down water courses that invariably have nice waterfalls. He said there are numerous spots you can park, walk up past a lovely waterfall, walk a section of AT and then down past another waterfall back to car.

Having been there and done the C&O, I would recommend taking the bicycles.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Having been there and done the C&O, I would recommend taking the bicycles.

Agree...
    • Okay, so it's looking like Front Royal to Harpers Ferry may be the winner depending on the answer to a couple questions when I talk to a friend here in a bit.

Any ideas/suggestions for where to park in HF? I have my AWOL guide here somewhere, just haven't dug it out yet. Asking here is easier, and I'm lazy. :P
    • Grinder wrote:

Okay, so it's looking like Front Royal to Harpers Ferry may be the winner depending on the answer to a couple questions when I talk to a friend here in a bit.

Any ideas/suggestions for where to park in HF? I have my AWOL guide here somewhere, just haven't dug it out yet. Asking here is easier, and I'm lazy. :P

From the ATC
      Harpers Ferry parking note: Hikers can park vehicles for up to 2 weeks at the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park visitors center, located on the south side of US 340 at the Washington St. stoplight. You must pay a $10 entrance fee, and register your vehicle during business hours. The lot is gated at dusk. A shuttle bus runs between lower town and the visitors center. An overnight parking form is available at nps.gov/hafe/planyourvisit/index. htm. For more information, call (304) 535- 6298. For Harpers Ferry maps and additional information about parking, contact the ATC visitor center at (304) 535-6331 or 799 Washington St.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Harpers Ferry has losts of interesting US History (George Washington selecting for armory, Jefferson's rock, Lewis & Clark equipment built, John Brown's raid, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, etc..) in addition to the ATC office.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thanks, Tuck and Astro!

Tuck, the attachment works. I'll go to the website and read over the other info.

Saturday I'll be heading out. Not sure exactly the time, because I have to drive from Brevard NC to HF first.
    • North from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry. My friend who came to Brevard for the concert is going to drive along with me to HF to drop off my car (after going through the permit process of course), then drive me down to Front Royal. All is good. :)

Thanks to EVERYONE in the thread for the input. I'll post pics afterward.