Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

19E to Erwin

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 19E to Erwin

As I'm lying in my tent in Uncle Johnny's backyard, I'm trying to find the right words to describe this fantastic hike. Yesterday while hiking, I remembered a Navajo 'poem'. It is
      part of a ceremonial chant and perfectly describes my experience.

In the house made of dawn,
      In the house made of sunset light
      In the house made of rain cloud
      With beauty before me, I walk
      With beauty behind me, I walk
      With beauty all around me, I walk.

Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

As I'm lying in my tent in Uncle Johnny's backyard, I'm trying to find the right words to describe this fantastic hike. Yesterday while hiking, I remembered a Navajo 'poem'. It is

Nice poem and picture.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

TJ, did you run into Kolton (short blonde hair). He is one my students trying to a NOBO in less than 100 days. He was at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin Sunday.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • 19E to Erwin

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TJ, did you run into Kolton (short blonde hair). He is one my students trying to a NOBO in less than 100 days. He was at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin Sunday.

If he was here Sunday then he must have passed me on the trail. Lots of hikers were heading north. After a while they all looked the same...beards, shorts, packs. :lol:
      It's more likely he'd remember me as I was probably the only woman wearing a skirt and heading south.
    • 19E to Erwin

Day 1, 19E to Overmountain Shelter

The first day I hiked 9 miles, 8 which were uphill. The views on the balds were incredible. I was in awe. It was my first experience hiking in such an open area at that elevation. Unfortunately, it was cloudy and thundering so I didn't linger except to take some pics.

Overmountain Shelter was a great structure but I didn't like staying there. It was crowded and I felt awkward being the only woman. There were some unseasoned hikers who weren't educated in shelter etiquette and LNT. There was a lot of revelry and since I wasn't feeling social, pitched my tent and kept to myself. The best part of staying there was meeting Fletcher, the ridge runner. Fletcher was the ridge runner in the Smokies this winter and I remember seeing notes he left in shelter journals. I thought it humorous that after 5 years, I finally met a Smokies ridge runner, but not in the Smokies.
    • 19E to Erwin

CoachLou wrote:

Were the Rhodies blooming?

A few at lower elevation. I'll have some pics soon. They will be spectacular when they do. Forget the Smokies, Coach. You need to do this hike. Or at least Carvers Gap to 19E. That would be a one night trip. My daughter is moving to this area and she or I can shuttle you and Overload.
    • 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Were the Rhodies blooming?

A few at lower elevation. I'll have some pics soon. They will be spectacular when they do. Forget the Smokies, Coach. You need to do this hike. Or at least Carvers Gap to 19E. That would be a one night trip. My daughter is moving to this area and she or I can shuttle you and Overload.

I have this very walk in mind....but I want to see the Rhodies bloom....I have been keeping tract and I may plan to see them next year. I was thinking Fall colors for the Smokies. The only prob with that Roan walk is the crowds at that time....but I would try to go during the week anywho!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • 19E to Erwin

Day 2 was a long day for me, 13 miles. Not having hiked since Easter, I woke up very sore.

It was foggy most of the day so I didn't have views on Jane Bald. Fog has it's own mysterious beauty so it was all good.

At Hughes Gap, there is a parking area with flush toilets and running water so I took advantage and washed the dirt off. Five minutes later I fell on some slippery rocks, scraping and bruising my leg and getting dirty again. Oh well.

I was planning on camping at Ash Gap but arrived too early and didn't want to stop. Then I missed a water source so hiked a few extra miles until I found water and a sweet camping spot. What was a so-so day turned into a great one when I finally got my tent pitched perfectly and didn't have condensation dripping on me all night. I made Bear Creek Minestrone, recommended by Odd Man Out and it was delicious. It was the first time I camped totally alone and surprisingly, I had no problems being scared. It was a triumphant moment for me.

Images
      • image_2014-06-03-7.jpg

73.22 kB, 800×533, viewed 371 times
      • image_2014-06-03-8.jpg

67.97 kB, 800×600, viewed 379 times
    • 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

That was a great view coming down into town, assuming nobo, if not you got a tough day tomorrow. That back yard was pretty nice with all the trees blooming.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • 19E to Erwin

Day 3 was 11-12 miles. It was one of the most peaceful hiking days I've experienced. It was sunny, cool, and breezy. The sound of the trees swaying and the relatively easy terrain was amazing. I took my time and stopped often to enjoy the day. I got to Clyde Smith Shelter early and again didn't want to stop, so rested and headed to the campsite at mile 367. That was probably a mistake. It was a trashy spot and was located in a gap so was very windy and cold. I had to crawl in the tent early to escape the wind. I was a foot off the trail and that made me a little anxious. After the first of six hikers passed without paying my tent any attention, I felt better. It was a cold, uncomfortable night and I was packed and hiking by 6:40 the next morning.

My tent was pitched on the far side of the downed tree. There was toilet paper and trash underneath and in the crevices of the tree.
    • 19E to Erwin

WanderingStovie wrote:

Thanks for the pictures. They bring back good memories. Are you (re)certifiable yet TJ?

I must not be a full blooded hiker. I have a beard, a pack, but long pants. My pant legs are tucked into my socks to keep the bugs out.

Are any of us "full blooded" hikers?

Tucking your pants in your socks is unique and identifies you as a cafe misfit. :lol:
    • 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Thanks for the pictures. They bring back good memories. Are you (re)certifiable yet TJ?

I must not be a full blooded hiker. I have a beard, a pack, but long pants. My pant legs are tucked into my socks to keep the bugs out.

Tucking your pants in your socks is unique and identifies you as a cafe misfit. :lol:

Thanks. I feel right at home.

You are certainly exempt from the beard requirement.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • 19E to Erwin

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

You are certainly exempt from the beard requirement.

Whew! That's a relief.
    • 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

This was interesting. Is it a fungus?

Almost certainly. But from those couple of pictures I won't even try to make any sort of identification. I can't tell the overall shape when looking straight down on it, and I don't think I could even narrow it down to the class without a good look at the underside.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • 19E to Erwin

AnotherKevin wrote:

Almost certainly. But from those couple of pictures I won't even try to make any sort of identification. I can't tell the overall shape when looking straight down on it, and I don't think I could even narrow it down to the class without a good look at the underside.

I used that exact same line in a bar once. Interesting night.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • 19E to Erwin

Day 4 was a day of firsts. I hiked 16.4 miles, my longest day ever, and experienced my first trail magic. That morning, I left without eating breakfast so was feeling irritable. As soon as I got to the field north of Beauty Spot, I rested and enjoyed my coffee and granola bar. It was restoring. Feeling better, I walked to Beauty Spot and met a group of people enjoying the view. They were curious and asked me questions about hiking. Knowing they were "good people", I asked if they would watch my pack so I could go find the water source. Instead, they gave me several bottles of water. That really improved my attitude. Feeling grateful and happy, I hiked down to my next destination, Curley Maple Gap Shelter. It was all downhill so I got there by 3:45, too early to stop. The next campsite was buggy so I kept walking and ended up at Uncle Johnny's, a gem of a hostel.

Waiting to cross the tracks to Uncle Johnny's.

• 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If he was here Sunday then he must have passed me on the trail. Lots of hikers were heading north. After a while they all looked the same...beards, shorts, packs. :lol:
      It's more likely he'd remember me as I was probably the only woman wearing a skirt and heading south.

Astro, I met a hiker at Uncle Johnny's who knows Kolton aka Koltrain (?). He said Kolton flies down the trail and has no doubt he'll make it in 100 days. Keep us updated.
    • 19E to Erwin

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro, I met a hiker at Uncle Johnny's who knows Kolton aka Koltrain (?). He said Kolton flies down the trail and has no doubt he'll make it in 100 days. Keep us updated.

That is great to hear since I planted the AT idea in his head, sold him gear, hooked him up with a past thru-hiker and other resources, and told him he could do it 100 days, and even if he couldn't, he should at least try. :)
    • 19E to Erwin

I have another student who is coaching baseball with me right now who also plans to thru hike the AT. So I could have two students who I have influenced finish the AT before I finish my remaining 1500 miles. I wish I had know about the AT 30 years ago, when I was in great shape, and had no family obligations. I guess that is why I influence them to go ahead and go now.

As HB says, its all good.
    • 19E to Erwin

Astro wrote:

I have another student who is coaching baseball with me right now who also plans to thru hike the AT. So I could have two students who I have influenced finish the AT before I finish my remaining 1500 miles. I wish I had know about the AT 30 years ago, when I was in great shape, and had no family obligations. I guess that is why I influence them to go ahead and go now.

As HB says, its all good.

It is good! Influencing others to do something positive makes us better people. I've always said, if I only influence one person to live healthier, it would make all my struggle and hard work worthwhile.
    • 19E to Erwin

Now for the credits. :lol:

Thank you Hikerboy for suggesting this route. Thank you Oz, your glowing review about your experience was the deciding factor. Thanks jimmyjam for the moral support when I was stressed and worried about the weather. I was ready to cancel. Thank you to Stovie (?) who said something once about fixing your blister as soon as it starts hurting. That comment saved my hike. And Astro, your comment about being able to play piano with your toes saved some toenails. Thinking that doubling up on socks would help the blister, I started having bad toe pain and remembered what you said. Lobo Solo, when I asked what others did when they couldn't go on and you said, why would you keep going, to get to a shelter? Indeed, I'm now confident I can camp wherever I need to. I don't need no stinkin' shelters.

We may have the occasional drama, but good stuff is happening here too.