Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

White Gas Gallons - can you still find them?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• White Gas Gallons - can you still find them?

Its an honest question... Ethanol is so bad for many products, and clearly dual fuel lighting and cooking such as Coleman products are still used as back up systems in this house. I am used to going without power for 5 days and I have a plan.

My problem is I have drained the generator and the snow blower to avoid replacing the carburetor Ethanol 10% Gas is clearly the corn syrup that is causing me a lot of repairs for the chain saws and trimmers. Its bad out there. Some kid at Loews suggested upping my ratio of oil to gas "thats what all the professionals landscapers are doing." I can't corroborate his story. So I am going back to clean gasoline on my smaller tools.

Right now it looks like I am going to drive to Lancaster and buy 10 gallons at a pop... if you don't understand this post read here.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16/ethanol-concerns-bring-customers-to-more-costly-pure-gas-stations/
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

i drive about 20 miles to buy non ethanol gas for my small gas engine yard stuff. the gas station is on the way to red top mountain state park (hiking and mountain bike trails) so i plan a trip to the park when i need gas so its not a big deal.

i used this site to find the station:

http://pure-gas.org/
      2,000 miler

Well there isn't one in Chester or Delaware County - but I know the guy to talk to... in my vast network of people... There's a guy in exton who serves the landscapers and all we have to do it change the premium tanl with sunoco unblended.

max.patch wrote:

i drive about 20 miles to buy non ethanol gas for my small gas engine yard stuff. the gas station is on the way to red top mountain state park (hiking and mountain bike trails) so i plan a trip to the park when i need gas so its not a big deal.

i used this site to find the station:

http://pure-gas.org/

We've got over a dozen stations within 2 - 10 miles. I used to run it in my 91 Honda and 91 Chevy all the time but I don't drive either of them that much. Our Chevy 2500hd diesel is the main mode now. We got over 21mpg at 80mph going to Damascus and back so we can't complain. But when I was driving the gas vehicles I ran non ethanol whenever I could which was easy around here and where I used to live up on Lookout Mountain. Now I gotta be sure and watch out that I don't put in off road diesel. Off road diesel is pretty common around here too and some stations have highway and off road right next to each other and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

MM what is the difference between Diesel and off road Diesel?

I've been told that there is no real difference other than off road is for farming equipment and such and doesn't pay as high a tax. Some highway is low sulfer and ultra-low sulfer and the off road stuff has a higher sulfer content which probably doesn't make a difference in some of the older engines but GM says it will damage todays engines. Some people say it's just a crock that the gov doesn't want you running cheaper less taxed fuel. Thus the red dye. They do highway checks on the big rigs and if caught the station and/or truck company can be fined. you and I could probably get away with it in private vehicles but I'm not taking the chance.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Its not a crock all that emission stuff on a new diesel (CAR) renders it unusable for converted fry oil to diesel. What I read is the old diesels are now wanted for their ability for home brew diesel. The new cars have too much emissions and computers to make it work. There really is something going on here. Thanks for the explanation.. Rasty where did you hear that?

Back to the thread... where can I buy 1 gallon White Gas?

We don't class our diesel as offroad etc.
      What we do have is some stations sell "biodiesel" that is partially made up of oil sourced from vegetables.
      Pretty much all the diesel vehicles sold, car or truck, you void your warranty if you put biodiesel in. For good reason.
      The older diesels can run biodiesel but not the modern high performance ones.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

milkman wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

MM what is the difference between Diesel and off road Diesel?

I've been told that there is no real difference other than off road is for farming equipment and such and doesn't pay as high a tax. Some highway is low sulfer and ultra-low sulfer and the off road stuff has a higher sulfer content which probably doesn't make a difference in some of the older engines but GM says it will damage todays engines. Some people say it's just a crock that the gov doesn't want you running cheaper less taxed fuel. Thus the red dye. They do highway checks on the big rigs and if caught the station and/or truck company can be fined. you and I could probably get away with it in private vehicles but I'm not taking the chance.

If it is GM, I might go with the Government conspiracy theory. :dry:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: White Gas Gallons - can you still find them?

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Its not a crock all that emission stuff on a new diesel (CAR) renders it unusable for converted fry oil to diesel. What I read is the old diesels are now wanted for their ability for home brew diesel. The new cars have too much emissions and computers to make it work. There really is something going on here. Thanks for the explanation.. Rasty where did you hear that?

Back to the thread... where can I buy 1 gallon White Gas?

Golf courses use off road diesel on the tractors and diesel utility carts. The fuel depot at our courses has pure gasoline for use on the lawn equipment, road diesel for the trucks and off road diesel for the tractors.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

PROBLEM SOLVED I went to the professional landscapers and they are paying $20 a gallon for real fuel pre-mix. They may buy by the quart. Its available at every small engine repair worth their gas.....
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: White Gas Gallons - can you still find them?

WiseOldOwl wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED I went to the professional landscapers and they are paying $20 a gallon for real fuel pre-mix. They may buy by the quart. Its available at every small engine repair worth their gas.....

That price is crazy. No ethanol fuel is usually about $0.40 per gallon more then regular.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

WOO, not quite an answer to what you were asking, but add stuff called Star Tron to the gas that goes into my small engines and carbonated equipment. It claims to prevent the ethanol from gumming up engine parts.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Yea I went to a gasoline oil guy and got a different answer - he suggested using Premium most of the issues will go away. Never heard that before... I have a few more places to check Sunoco makes one or two places available to pick up premium without Ethanol.... have to talk to folk and ask tough questions.

Still need Gallons of White Gas for the stoves.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Yea I went to a gasoline oil guy and got a different answer - he suggested using Premium most of the issues will go away. Never heard that before... I have a few more places to check Sunoco makes one or two places available to pick up premium without Ethanol.... have to talk to folk and ask tough questions.

Still need Gallons of White Gas for the stoves.

I got it at Wal-Mart last time. I think Dicks has it also.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Well all gasoline contains mandated Ethanol except some old and special reasons. Here is a shocker... We now burn more corn that can feed two third world nations. We are now importing corn from third world places like Turkey. So a true gallon, 100% is $20 (still looking into this) From what I read - the MPG is going down, Ethanol is not as MPG efficient as Gasoline. And the plan is to raise the percentage to 15% in the near future... I now have white gas stoves that I will have to toss out. As a "light" prepper - I have stocked back up on charcoal and wood stoves. And no surprise, planted Ash trees and Pin Oaks. I am ripping down the pines as fast as I can, there are many here in the wood. The pine still has its place - it works the best on the patio with the chiminea - lots of light and heat due to the pitch.
    • Update - spent $380 on replacing the chain saw. as close as I could afford to buying a commercial quality. Didn't expect a well qualified repair person (Andy) giving me a 45 minute safety course and 15 minutes on avoiding Ethanol product issues. I just found a better place to get repairs in Delaware vs PA... wow. We discussed White Gas and Premium available gas... the guy was very knowledgeable. I now have wood for next year.
    • Turns out this idea was a bust

Coleman fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.

Though Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern gasoline and cannot be used as a substitute for gasoline, kerosene or diesel fuel in modern engines.[citation needed] Its high combustion temperature and lack of octane boosting additives like tetraethyllead will destroy engine valves[citation needed], and its low octane rating would produce knocking.

However, it is quite popular as a fuel for model engines, where the low octane rating is not a problem, additives are unwanted, and the clean burning, low odor and longer shelf life are considered advantages.
    • Don't know about other areas but hardware stores, local sporting good stores and even many grocery stores sell white gas in the one gallon and the 1 qt size in my neck of the woods.

Enough people still use the Coleman dual burner white gas stoves and lanterns for car camping where there is a consistent demand for white gas.
    • I agree with you Paul... but this is going to go away in your lifetime. The real issue? on a survival note... future products won't be useful. A white gas stove could be converted to multifuel as it could handle regular gasoline - not ethanol mix.

You should see the solar - to 12v to LED light & computer & tv system for a house.. off grid.
    • OK FYI I have always been a 6month mini prepper. I keep 6 months food or $500 in cans each year Just in case. 5 gallons of cooking fuel. not much. then I would switch to wood... I keep two cords all the time. I am not serious - there's no harm just storage it in the basement.