Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Low cost Pack options?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Low cost Pack options?

So I'm new to all this, but looking for a low cost pack. I want one thats of reasonable quality though too. Nothing fancy, just durable and comfortable enough. So far I've browsed walmart online and ebay.

Does anyone know other places I could look? Also suggestions on whats a good pack even? Is the walmart quality even worth my time? Or are they decent??
      "You've got what it takes. But it will take everything you've got."
    • Low cost Pack options?

Walmart equipment is generally cheap quality & heavy. You really don't want to skimp on your big three: pack, sleeping bag & shelter. Keep an eye out on TOS for people selling used gear. I would also reccoment signing up for sales emails with outfitters: REI, EMS, Mountain Gear, Campmor,Altrecs... Packs are like shoes. People fit differently. I would suggest borrowing from friends or renting to figure out what works for you before you buy.
    • Low cost Pack options?

since they moved to a direct to consumer business model i always check golite when researching equipment.

if this is your first pack you may be better served by shopping at a physical store rather than online. you can walk around the store with weight in the pack and the sales clerk can show you how to make any necessary adjustments.
      2,000 miler
    • Re:Low cost Pack options?

I wish I went more expensive on some things. Some things can be made for pennies. Other things should not be viewed as a one time expensive purchase. You should instead, divide the cost over the miles you think it might be used for. Ask yourself if it is worth a few more pennies per mile to carry a quality item. Believe me, you will have that discussion with yourself after you have carried an inferior item a few hundred miles. As an example, I so wish I bought a quality down bag. Warmer and lighter would be so much nicer than cheaper. That cost difference becomes less relevant the longer you carry it.

Buy an Osprey.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

my regret is some of the coglans crappy gear I bought years ago... dumb $7 Survival knives for Christmas etc. Sometimes I lucked out. I think the cheap sleeping bags were the worst, too bulky and lack of warmth.

The best part of right now is that a good lightweight pack can be had and will last for years with a little TLC. and not break the budget.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Rasty wrote:

Tent and pack are probably the two items most important not to be cheap on.

From my limited experience I would agree with that.
      I would put a sleeping pad 3rd, but that is more due to the weight and space savings.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Low cost Pack options?

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys!!! :lol: :)

It makes sense that pack, sleeping bag and shelter should be quality buys. I'll definitely start checking out all those places!! :)

Thanks TrafficJam! I need info like that!!!! :P

I'd prefer something under $100, Rasty. Though I could save up too. Moneys often tight in our family, so it'd just take longer.

:blink: Probably under 20 pounds.. :P I'm not a very muscular person! I'll need to build up a lot probably, so the lighter the better I think!

It's a tough decision. I agree that the "buy quality once" strategy is good, especially for the key items of gear. But on the other hand, the "buy cheap crap and upgrade later" strategy can work too. A lot of epic hikers from years ago went on great adventures with what would be considered "cheap crap" by today's standards. If saving up until you can buy first class gear will delay you a few years, I'm not sure that is the best option. Bird Brain's point about some gear not costing much is well taken. His Grease Pot and DIY stove can be had for under 10$ and is pretty much cutting edge for backpacking cooking.

Agree with all the above.
      However I have a slightly different suggestion for an approach to take.
      If you are looking at progressively improving your gear getting a really cheap Walmart pack or a good 2nd hand pack could do.
      Then you start spending as much as you can afford on a good sleeping bag and mat. Follow up with a really light (the lighter the dearer usually) tent/shelter option. Along with the decision to go gas or alcohol for stove this should wrap up most of your gear options.
      At this point you will be able to get a good pack that fits all your gear.
      You will also have learnt what you do and don't like in a pack.
      The two most popular packs on the AT are Ospreys and ULA Catalyst/Circuit. I like all the accessible pockets of the ULA's but you may prefer the better frame structure and "airier" back of the Osprey.
      Many of us have spent years building up our gear choices and keep tinkering with it. You don't have to get everything top notch straight away.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

odd man out wrote:

It's a tough decision. I agree that the "buy quality once" strategy is good, especially for the key items of gear. But on the other hand, the "buy cheap crap and upgrade later" strategy can work too. A lot of epic hikers from years ago went on great adventures with what would be considered "cheap crap" by today's standards. If saving up until you can buy first class gear will delay you a few years, I'm not sure that is the best option. Bird Brain's point about some gear not costing much is well taken. His Grease Pot and DIY stove can be had for under 10$ and is pretty much cutting edge for backpacking cooking.

Starting out with any new activity you don't really know if you're going to like it and stay with it or not, my approach has been to start out with good stuff but on the lower end, my thinking is that if I buy really cheap gear the gear might cause me not to like the activity but at the same time I'd beat myself up forever if I spent a ton of money on something and lost interest. Example: bought the cheapest Trek mountain bike I could find when I was getting into biking, even the cheapest Trek is a pretty decent bike.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

A lot of epic hikers from years ago went on great adventures with what would be considered "cheap crap" by today's standards.

i did my thru using a piece of crap camptrails external frame pack. i bet every pack made today, regardless of price, is of higher quality than that pack was.

I loved my Camp Trails pack. Had a camo external frame and a internal frame that was huge.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Low cost Pack options?

Hmm, yeah. A lot for me to think about! I'm planning to go on a 70 mile trail this summer in Minnesota, so I'd like all my stuff together by then. I may save up until then and see what I can get. I like the idea of upgrading later on though too, when I better know what suits me.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean Drybones about starting a new activity. And I'll admit, I am one to jump into things! :huh: So Its probably best I take things slow, both activity and money wise. :P

What about external framed packs? What difference does that make?

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

A lot of epic hikers from years ago went on great adventures with what would be considered "cheap crap" by today's standards.

i did my thru using a piece of crap camptrails external frame pack. i bet every pack made today, regardless of price, is of higher quality than that pack was.

I loved my Camp Trails pack. Had a camo external frame and a internal frame that was huge.

if the camp trails external was made today - using todays materials and workmanship - i'd buy another in a heatbeat.
      2,000 miler

odd man out wrote:

A lot of epic hikers from years ago went on great adventures with what would be considered "cheap crap" by today's standards. If saving up until you can buy first class gear will delay you a few years, I'm not sure that is the best option.

exactly. take dakota joe for example. he isn't using the best/lightest/most expensive gear available and right now he's kicking azz on the trail.
      2,000 miler

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Terra Nova makes a small one at 12 ounces and $60 at Wildernet

Scroll down

Backpack

Here is a Gregory in Womens and light

http://www.rei.com/product/866154/gregory-maya-42-pack-womens#specsTab

The 42 L may be too small for solo hiking. My 50L barely holds everything I need and I'm pretty minimalist. Good idea though, WOO. There are affordable options, you just have to search and be patient.

Packs are seasonal. New colors/styles come out every year and the previous season goes on sale. With a coupon, you can save a lot of money.
      Lost in the right direction.

I think the most important thing is getting out and then improving as you go.

From when I started at Springer in November 2010 I have reduced my base weight from 35 to 15 pounds. My son and I started out with things we had used for Boy Scouts. More of a no risk, lets see what it is like first approach. Since then I have bought a ULA Catalyst, Big Agnes tent (actually 2), Leki poles, lighter and smaller sleeping bag and pad, lighter clothes, and so on. The only place I added weight was the jet boil (100% cold meals was not for me), but that actually may have saved some weight overall in types of food carried.

My first section hikes I would have carried around 35 pounds up and only stayed under 45 because I went without things like spare clothes and more than 1 days food (no stove - lit fires). Nowadays I wonder what I did carry.
      I hiked most of the AT around 30 to 35 pounds and am currently looking to put together a pack for the Bibbulmun that is 5 to 10 pound lighter. The Bib's facilities mean it is easy to shed at least 2 or 3 pound over AT but the rest is gear changes.
      Like I said, we keep tinkering with our gear.
      It's what keeps you going between hikes.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Low cost Pack options?

Yeah, I think I need to find a balance for now, between price and quality. Probably something used off ebay or craigslist. But we'll see! If I get the funds I could go all out! :woohoo: :P Though If hiking turns into a long term thing for me, I'm sure I'll update in the future too. Or like OJ said, tinkering to get it right. :)

OzJacko wrote:

The two most popular packs on the AT are Ospreys and ULA Catalyst/Circuit.

interesting, thanks for the info. i honestly don't look at what backpacks people are using on the trail. and, in any event, as most of my miles are in georgia most of people i see are gonna be statistics sooner or later so using those folks as a reference wouldn't be too helpful.

i tried on an osprey aether yesterday at rei and roamed around the store carrying 30 pounds.

positives - very comfortable. just may go back and give it another test drive.

neutral - $290. pricey, but amortized over its expected life the upfront cost is relatively meaningless.

negatives - really no useable outside pockets.clerk pointed out how great the bladder system was. ok, but i don't use no stinkin bladder. gotta store the tent inside the pack. pack cover not specifically designed for the pack - gotta use a 1 size fits many. 4 pounds, 12 ounces. really?

take my comments with a grain of salt. remember, my experience is limited to hiking around rei for maybe 15 minutes..
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

interesting, thanks for the info. i honestly don't look at what backpacks people are using on the trail. and, in any event, as most of my miles are in georgia most of people i see are gonna be statistics sooner or later so using those folks as a reference wouldn't be too helpful.

i tried on an osprey aether yesterday at rei and roamed around the store carrying 30 pounds.

neutral - $290. pricey, but amortized over its expected life the upfront cost is relatively meaningless.

negatives - really no useable outside pockets.clerk pointed out how great the bladder system was. ok, but i don't use no stinkin bladder. gotta store the tent inside the pack. pack cover not specifically designed for the pack - gotta use a 1 size fits many. 4 pounds, 12 ounces. really?

take my comments with a grain of salt. remember, my experience is limited to hiking around rei for maybe 15 minutes..

Look at the ULA Circuit instead. Huge side pockets, good hipbelt pockets, lots off stretchy mesh on the back and one large main compartment. $225 and made in the USA!
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Look at the ULA Circuit instead. Huge side pockets, good hipbelt pockets, lots off stretchy mesh on the back and one large main compartment. $225 and made in the USA!

that sounds more like my style. isn't ula internet only? or are they in stores now?

Mt. Rogers Outfitters and Neals Gap both carry ULA
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Or if you want a little more room, try the ULA Catalyst for $250. Bought myself one last year, and I am very happy with it. The buying USA is a bonus.

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Or if you want a little more room, try the ULA Catalyst for $250. Bought myself one last year, and I am very happy with it. The buying USA is a bonus.

I'm thinking about getting an OHM for summer and using the circuit during cooler months.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

MP, while you are waiting to schedule a trip to Neels Gap, below is ULA's website. Even have videos (a little goofy, but still informative).

http://www.ula-equipment.com/default.asp

Astro wrote:

MP, while you are waiting to schedule a trip to Neels Gap, below is ULA's website. Even have videos (a little goofy, but still informative).

thanks. i like the looks of the side pockets on both ula's. actually look big enough to be functional.
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

thanks. i like the looks of the side pockets on both ula's. actually look big enough to be functional.

Great for when it rains and you do not want your wet tent inside your pack. Outside with sunshine it can even dry out some for you.