Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Low cost Pack options?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

MP, while you are waiting to schedule a trip to Neels Gap, below is ULA's website. Even have videos (a little goofy, but still informative).

http://www.ula-equipment.com/default.asp

thanks. i like the looks of the side pockets on both ula's. actually look big enough to be functional.

The circuit can fit two 32 ounce bottles in each side pocket if needed. It will also fit a 64 ounce Oceanspray bottle.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I have both Circuit and Catalyst.
      Very little between them.
      The Catalyst apparently can take a bear canister sideways.
      Other than that, I would recommend the Circuit.
      Both can take good amounts of gear.
      I can take water bottle from side pockets and return without taking pack off (It's difficult when I shove two bottles in a pocket which I often do).
      Big back mesh pocket great for lots of stuff.
      Hip belt pockets take cameras, phones - lots of stuff.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Wax Queen - what direction were you pondering on? $130 or $230? what do you like so far?

I like them all!!! 2.gif For now I think I'm mostly gleaning information and ideas. There seems to be so many options!! I'm undecided on what would be best for me. And mixed in to that is what price I can afford/save up. I definitely lean towards the $130 price.. But I like the REI Venus quite a bit as it is.
      Now I have a friend who wants to go, but the best time for them is winter. :blink: Is that a BAD IDEA??? He's very confident about it, and very adventurous. :ohmy:
      "You've got what it takes. But it will take everything you've got."

WaxQueen wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Wax Queen - what direction were you pondering on? $130 or $230? what do you like so far?

I like them all!!! 2.gif For now I think I'm mostly gleaning information and ideas. There seems to be so many options!! I'm undecided on what would be best for me. And mixed in to that is what price I can afford/save up. I definitely lean towards the $130 price.. But I like the REI Venus quite a bit as it is.
      Now I have a friend who wants to go, but the best time for them is winter. :blink: Is that a BAD IDEA??? He's very confident about it, and very adventurous. :ohmy:

Winter where?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Winter where?

Hike the AT during winter. Like January. Starting at the south end. ...Too crazy?? Apparently people do it. Or so I've heard. :S

WaxQueen wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Winter where?

Hike the AT during winter. Like January. Starting at the south end. ...Too crazy?? Apparently people do it. Or so I've heard. :S

I would recommend Fall or Spring first. My first few section hikes were Thanksgiving and Spring Break. Pleasant weather both times.

Of course the next spring break I did in GSMNP and the temps got down in the teens with snow and ice. But in the first 150 miles you will probably have better luck.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

If you haven't built some winter experience with lesser trips, then it probably is crazy. I think I could most likely manage, but it would be a tremendous effort and I'd have to be prepared both to hole up for a few days and to escape to a town for a few days. That, together with the needed winter gear, would make for a tremendously heavy load and short mileage. The later starters would catch up with me.

And FWIW, I've done sections of New England on snowshoes.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Low cost Pack options?

Call me crazy then. :blink: Er, us, cause it wasn't my idea to go in winter.. gif.010

:P We'll see!!!! We're going to prepare as much as we can, and I think if we end up postponing it 'til later in the spring that'll be fine!!! Or even bail out when we freeze our tushies off. I'll be going to Minnesota this summer, so I hope to hunt down general winter gear there(clothing, etc). I'm guessing they have an abundance. :)

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Winter where?

It so hard to be helpful ... can I jump from pest control to saucier?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Winter where?

It so hard to be helpful ... can I jump from pest control to saucier?

Isn't that the same thing? :D
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Low cost Pack options?

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

WHA???? I don't get it..

Post control and Sauciers both mix ingredients to create something. One kills bugs the other is sauce.

I think you meant "Pest" not "Post" control.

Unless Big Brother is taking over with the new software and you going to try to control our post. :ohmy:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Low cost Pack options?

You can also look at the REI Outlet. I picked up a REI Flash 65 that was discontinued for 92 bucks. It may not be one of the popular packs but it's everything I need and more. Point is they have some good deals if you don't need to have this years latest and greatest.
      RIAP

Trebor wrote:

You can also look at the REI Outlet. I picked up a REI Flash 65 that was discontinued for 92 bucks. It may not be one of the popular packs but it's everything I need and more. Point is they have some good deals if you don't need to have this years latest and greatest.

Indeed. I picked up an ALPS Mountaineering Orizaba 3900 at REI Outlet about three years ago. I'm still using it. It's not as light as it could be. The tall, narrow form factor is somewhat awkward to load - but I sort of like it when I'm doing more technical hiking/mountaineering, when I appreciate how it fits in narrow places. (I've been through the Harriman Lemon Squeezer without taking it off.) I'm looking to replace it with something better, but not urgently. And the $85 price tag was hard to beat.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

I use an antique north face pack bought at goodwill for $1.50

Thats what I'm talking about!! 49.gif Haha! I'm hoping I come across a sweet deal like that. :P Though I know I can't count on it.. 2.gif :pinch:

Joe might have a slightly used pack he will sell you in five months! :rolleyes:
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Low cost Pack options?

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Thats what I'm talking about!! 49.gif Haha! I'm hoping I come across a sweet deal like that. :P Though I know I can't count on it.. 2.gif :pinch:

If he deducts $1 for stench and .50 for wear and tear, Waxy might get it for free. :woohoo:
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

If he deducts $1 for stench and .50 for wear and tear, Waxy might get it for free. :woohoo:

That pack is gonna have a yo yo on it. Im not selling it ever! Lol
      "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Lol! gif.004 :P

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

When the pack I now use has become unusable I'm going to mount it on the office wall with the hiking poles that already need replacing...kinda like a pack and crosspoles.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Drybones wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

When the pack I now use has become unusable I'm going to mount it on the office wall with the hiking poles that already need replacing...kinda like a pack and crosspoles.

My pack may not get a chance to get worn out. It may have to be replaced because of the smell. gif.002
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

My pack may not get a chance to get worn out. It may have to be replaced because of the smell. gif.002

A 5-gallon bucket of water with a heavy dose of Clorox will take care of it, did wonders for the trail runners with mildew you smell up wind.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.