Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Low cost Pack options?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Low cost Pack options?

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

I use an antique north face pack bought at goodwill for $1.50

Thats what I'm talking about!! 49.gif Haha! I'm hoping I come across a sweet deal like that. :P Though I know I can't count on it.. 2.gif :pinch:

Joe might have a slightly used pack he will sell you in five months! :rolleyes:

If he deducts $1 for stench and .50 for wear and tear, Waxy might get it for free. :woohoo:

That pack is gonna have a yo yo on it. Im not selling it ever! Lol

When the pack I now use has become unusable I'm going to mount it on the office wall with the hiking poles that already need replacing...kinda like a pack and crosspoles.

My pack may not get a chance to get worn out. It may have to be replaced because of the smell. gif.002

A 5-gallon bucket of water with a heavy dose of Clorox will take care of it, did wonders for the trail runners with mildew you smell up wind.

TY. I haven't tried Clorox, just soap and a garden hose.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Low cost Pack options?

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaxQueen wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

I use an antique north face pack bought at goodwill for $1.50

Thats what I'm talking about!! 49.gif Haha! I'm hoping I come across a sweet deal like that. :P Though I know I can't count on it.. 2.gif :pinch:

Joe might have a slightly used pack he will sell you in five months! :rolleyes:

If he deducts $1 for stench and .50 for wear and tear, Waxy might get it for free. :woohoo:

That pack is gonna have a yo yo on it. Im not selling it ever! Lol

When the pack I now use has become unusable I'm going to mount it on the office wall with the hiking poles that already need replacing...kinda like a pack and crosspoles.

My pack may not get a chance to get worn out. It may have to be replaced because of the smell. gif.002

A 5-gallon bucket of water with a heavy dose of Clorox will take care of it, did wonders for the trail runners with mildew you smell up wind.

TY. I haven't tried Clorox, just soap and a garden hose.

The Clorox will kill any thing that's living on/in it....that's why I treat my water with Clorox. The shoes were wet the first 11-12 days last October, thought I may be developing jungle rot, I've had stinky feet before but nothing like that. I bought a day pack in a scratch and dent sale at REI once to find out a cat had peed on it...potent stuff... took several washings and tomato juice to kill that smell.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • i went to neels gap today and picked up a ula catalyst. thanks to everyone who contributed.

btw, was going to do 6 mile or so dayhike since i was in the area and drove to the parking area just up the road. it was totally packed which did not surprise me. all spaces were taken, and 4 cars were parked illegally. all 4 cars had tickets.
      2,000 miler
    • Love the ULA Catalyst. It is my workhorse pack. Be it playing porter for my buddy's two kids, guiding or winter backpacking, it is a pack that does it all. Considering the size of the pack, 48 oz is pretty light.

For an ~$100 pack that is a pretty decent all around pack, check out the GoLite Jam. It has gained some bloat over the years (30 oz vs 20oz), but at $110, a pretty good pack still esp for the price.
      golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

50l is about right for all around use.

I owned one for a while that was my all-purpose pack for a long time. I thrashed the poor thing, but I still think it was a great little pack.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PaulMags ().

• PaulMags wrote:

50l is about right for all around use.

If I were to get a warm-weather pack, that's about the size I'd get. I have a 64 l one now, which works well enough, so I'm not in a tearing hurry. Even in shoulder season, I'd find 50 a trifle tight, I think. But I'm bigger than you are, and so there's the long sleeping bag, the larger clothing, , ... all of which take up just a little bit more space.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • PaulMags wrote:

I should have been more specific "all-around three season use". Winter, of course, needs a different pack. Though a 50l has worked well for me during shoulder season. Being 5'6", no need for long clothing, pads or sleeping bags. :)

While maybe not in most sports, there are advantages of being less than 6 feet tall. :thumbup:

My student (Koltrain to Maine) who is trying to do the AT in 90-100 days (made it to Harpers Ferry in 45 days, and now in Port Clinton, PA) is maybe a little shy of 5'6", and I believe that has been an asset for him (although perhaps not as much as running marathons and being in his early 20s).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

i have used an external like God intended my entire career. i am about to load my gear into my fancy new internal for the first time. if you hear any cussing it's probably me...

MP, once you get used to it, I really think you will like it. Sometimes I miss some of my old Kelty's pockets (especially the top lid), but the weight savings makes up for it. You will also probably learn to like the pockets on the hip belt and the netted pocket on the back (great for a not quite dry tent and rain fly).
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i have used an external like God intended my entire career. i am about to load my gear into my fancy new internal for the first time. if you hear any cussing it's probably me...

MP, once you get used to it, I really think you will like it. Sometimes I miss some of my old Kelty's pockets (especially the top lid), but the weight savings makes up for it. You will also probably learn to like the pockets on the hip belt and the netted pocket on the back (great for a not quite dry tent and rain fly).

what do you keep in that little mesh zippered pocket that is at the inside top of the pack?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

what do you keep in that little mesh zippered pocket that is at the inside top of the pack?

Keys, first aid kit and wallet.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I don't miss pockets at all, I'm better organized without them.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • well, we'll see. i've got it packed for the first time and i can tell that i'm going to have to upgrade and get some less bulky versions of some of my stuff. i can tell already that i'm really going to really miss being able to get to snacks and maps without having to get inside the bag. walked around the house for a couple minutes :) and it feels good.

going to do a shakedown hike tomorrow. springer to hawk and back. super easy and short so if it starts digging into my back or something i'll have time to fuss with it. the svea 123 is staying home; first time using the jetboil. and bringing the kindle fire instead of a paperback. i feel like one of cool kids.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

well, we'll see. i've got it packed for the first time and i can tell that i'm going to have to upgrade and get some less bulky versions of some of my stuff. i can tell already that i'm really going to really miss being able to get to snacks and maps without having to get inside the bag. walked around the house for a couple minutes :) and it feels good.

going to do a shakedown hike tomorrow. springer to hawk and back. the svea 123 is staying home; first time using the jetboil.

Pictures?

I use the waist belt pocket for my snack and maps (I use photo copies of maps so I don't have to carry the full map). The other benefit to copied maps is that I can burn them as they are not needed anymore.

My pack is a Circuit
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • i hate to stop and take pictures so i thot i'd put the camera in one of hip belt pockets -- maybe if the camera is "right there" i'll use it more. photocopied maps and/or snacks is a good idea as any. i'll repackage some of my snacks is a smaller ziplock in the morning and give it a try. won't need access to maps while walking this trip - i could do this section in my sleep.
      2,000 miler
    • I did the same Springer to Hawk Mountain Shelter hike a few weeks ago. Packed out a ton of trash some of which was left hanging on the bear cable. Hopefully its still somewhat clean there. The good news is that the two abandoned vehicles that had been at the Springer parking lot were gone.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

I did the same Springer to Hawk Mountain Shelter hike a few weeks ago. Packed out a ton of trash some of which was left hanging on the bear cable. Hopefully its still somewhat clean there. The good news is that the two abandoned vehicles that had been at the Springer parking lot were gone.

i was at hawk last sunday and it was spotless. you done good!
      2,000 miler
    • Drybones wrote:

Is there anyone who has experience with both the Granite Gear Crown 60 and the ULA packs, would like to hear a comparison if there's one to be had.

doesn't look like anyone answered you an I think I have the smaller GG in the basement. I use REI reviews and it did very well

rei.com/product/831620/granite…lter=68533173640#specsTab
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Keys, first aid kit and wallet.

Same here, basically things you want to be able to get to quickly without searching through the entire pack.

I had switched to smaller pad (NeoAir) the trip before buying this pack, but you are correct in that may help inspire you to make some other purchases for lighter and more compact gear.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Anybody know if the OP actually did a hike, or if they still plan to?

People hike here?

What is this thing you call hiking ?

Ouch, I'll bet that was painfully embarrassing.

Some ladies pay lots of money for mud treatments.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

People hike here?

And some guys pay lots of money to watch ladies mud wrestle...just sayin....
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

People hike here?

And some guys pay lots of money to watch ladies mud wrestle...just sayin....

Coincidence?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123