Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Power Pot...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Power Pot...

I waited a while on this one... after BB was discussing how aluminum has a distinct advantage over Titanium, while I was thinking I will wait for a Ti power pot - it came to light this weekend that after doing some tests with the alcohol stove - I would revisit or get another aluminum pot for backpacking... My lack of a decision was profound - Power Pot is still in aluminum - they have added a metal wire saver, and a smaller cup and most important an adapter to directly charge the phone addressing many issues since the first version I look at some time ago - REI is offering a coupon code on the site to members and the good reviews are piling in... In a hour you can bring the phone back up very quickly in the field and all you need is heat and water. I saw a few members are using pocket rocket and running it low and slow. I think Qiwiz's Ti wood stove would also suffice and give me good reason to use the port on the side. The other advantages are over Solar as you don't need the sun and you can charge at the end of the day!

One reviewer said it all - it delivers power as claimed and once you pull the old pot out of the pack and switch to power pot - it only adds 8 oz and that keeps the gps going.... done deal.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Power Pot...

Here is something else to consider - I really wanted to build one in TI... Got the sealants, the TEG's and was about to put it together and then discovered Power Pots TEG's that generate the power are custom and 2x the size of the ones I had purchased... Its so well made now it just makes sense to buy it.

Not sure what I am going to do with the parts... but it will be a back up test piece for the shelf.
    • Power Pot...

Well I realize this - and I am not worried if I was to run this on a canister it would be at simmer and lots of water.

But I am more likley to run it on this UL Ti device

http://www.qiwiz.net/CookingOptions.html

[IMG:http://hikeitlikeit.com/wordpress_files/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2012-04_0142-web-400x285.jpg]
    • Power Pot...

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well I realize this - and I am not worried if I was to run this on a canister it would be at simmer and lots of water.

But I am more likley to run it on this UL Ti device

http://www.qiwiz.net/CookingOptions.html

[IMG:http://hikeitlikeit.com/wordpress_files/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2012-04_0142-web-400x285.jpg]

I learn something new every day. I can't wait to hear about your new pot. Take some pics.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Power Pot...

A compilation

The Good
      PowerPot V is a lightweight thermoelectric generator “Seebeck generator” or TEG that doubles as a pot for boiling water. You can charge some of your small electronics and make a freezer bag or FD dinner at the same time.
      The Bad
      Since you're dealing with heat sources and thermoelectric tech, you really have to follow the use and care guidelines (you know, for safety). Some of the rules are downright fussy, though, which can make usability a tad tedious.
      The Bottom Line
      The power practical PowerPot V is a useful gadget for connected outdoor-types, and $149 seems like a fair price for anywhere charging capability -- whether you're camping under the stars or hanging out at home during a power outage.
      Usability
      While PowerPot is extremely versatile and easy to operate, I also found it a little high maintenance to use at first. After a few boils usage starts to settle in. Due to the proximity of the cord to the heat source and the thermoelectric tech itself, there are a lot of "rules" you have to remember. For example, if you don't feed the charging cable through the middle of the handle, it might end up touching your heat source, which isn't good. The cord is fire-resistant, not fire-proof (so prop PowerPot over your campfire, don't immerse it in the flames).
      The instructions say you should fill PowerPot at least two-thirds full with water (you can also add ice or snow). You should make sure that the pot is never in contact with heat when it's empty (that could damage the generator). And when you're done charging your phone, camera, etc., remove the pot from the heat source and let it cool down before dumping the water, as that could damage the generator, too.
      Performance
      PowerPot V performed about as well as I expected. I put the charging cable through the middle of the handle, I connected the USB cord, added water to the pot, and placed it over the heating source (I tested it on a gas stove, an electric stove, and a propane camping stove). Shortly after, the green LED light illuminated, signaling that it was ready to start charging gadgets. (New) The LED now shows a ruff amperage or quality of charge.

In my test the Powerpot took a Samsung Galaxy from 25% to 90% in exactly two hours at full burn I added three cups of tap water during that time. I don’t need to hit 100% - maybe that would have been another 45 minutes. It is as advertised.

A side by side test with a Ti pot vs Power Pot a boil was achieved almost the same time 67° to 212° was only 30-45 seconds longer on the Power Pot. Next test will be aluminum vs Power Pot.

Anker Battery – well this is on the fence or a disappointment. Please allow me to repeat the test… I am not sure what went wrong.

PowerPot is straightforward and it works. My iPhone 5 takes about 2 hours and 10 minutes to charge from zero to 100 percent using an Apple wall adapter; PowerPot charged it fully in 2 hours and 50 minutes.

That's not bad. It charged my third-gen iPad pretty slowly, but for bigger batteries you'd want a more robust 10-watt charger anyway. For that reason, PowerPot V really works best with smaller devices like cameras, e-book readers, smart phones, and GPS systems (even if you don't plan to charge them fully from zero, you'll be boiling water for a long time). But, keep in mind that Power Practical did recently fund another Kickstarter campaign for PowerPot X and XL -- both are 10-watt generators (compared to the V's 5 watts) available in 2.4 and 4 quarts (compared to the V's 1.4 quarts) which can charge medium-sized gadgets such as tablets. The X and XL versions can also charge more than one phone or camera at the same time.
      I think PowerPot is a particularly practical charging solution for backpackers. It can boil enough water to make coffee, tea, or a freeze-dried meal for one to two people while it charges your device. The pot itself weighs just 12 ounces (the cord and the lid take it up to 18.2 ounces), which is comparable to many other anodized aluminum pots and pans for camping that don't have built-in generators. And that's where I think it has solar chargers beat. You can add cold water while boiling and the output amperage increases some .15 amps! Just never let it go dry or shock it. The more technology we have, the more technology we need to keep it all running. The size accepts a larger cylinder of gas and pocket rocket. There is a lid or food pot,

The $149 Joos Solar Orange is the same price as PowerPot and has a similar output, but it weighs 24 ounces and it doesn't perform multiple functions. You cant carge at night - my point is - its too damn heavy. Your pack should hold only what you need, and, ideally, what you need should be as light as possible.

Conclusion
      PowerPot is a really neat product if you want to stay connected when you're in the wilderness or stuck at home without power. Pick a heat source, add water to the pot, and you can start charging your phone or other gadget fairly quickly. You can also make freeze-dried food, pasta, coffee, and more at the same time, which is a multitasker's dream. However, it did take a while to generate a full charge for my phone, and while I found its usability a little cumbersome, its understandable given it involves running power cords near a heat source. I am very interested to see how the newer PowerPot X and XL compare.
      Power pot vs Biolite wood burning stove - it's been out for 1 1/2 year and it is cheaper ($129) and it is a fully functioning camp stove- it burns twigs so you don't need to carry fuel if you are backpacking...Powers most USB-chargeable devices including smartphones. The rub? The generator is smaller and less efficient, it uses air cooling from a fan vs water cooling, water is best.
    • Power Pot...

Apparently this isn't of interest here. I find it odd, as I have read from many that solar isn't going to work - the top of the line solar system even home brewed is 12 ounces. All charging systems take two hours. Here is a system that can charge while you boil and add additional water at night and it works with a wood stove. . that is gram weenie... I was hoping for rebuttal a discussion... something... Hello....

Honest if this doesn't interest you .... OK but I would like some feedback. I can work on other posts and move on.
    • Re:Re: Power Pot...

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Apparently this isn't of interest here. I find it odd, as I have read from many that solar isn't going to work - the top of the line solar system even home brewed is 12 ounces. All charging systems take two hours. Here is a system that can charge while you boil and add additional water at night and it works with a wood stove. . that is gram weenie... I was hoping for rebuttal a discussion... something... Hello....

Honest if this doesn't interest you .... OK but I would like some feedback. I can work on other posts and move on.

Solar panels just don't interest me. I keep my phone turned off must off the time and carry a backup battery pack which will charge my phone three times.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Power Pot...

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I think many hikers would love to hear your knowledge of your battery research. You were spot on for the battery you recommended for my kindle fire. How about a common language explination of battery specs & when you need 1 amp vs 5 amp port, etc.

Agreed.

WOO, you'd have to explain it on my level, which is the "doesn't know anything" level. :)

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Solar panels just don't interest me. I keep my phone turned off must off the time and carry a backup battery pack which will charge my phone three times.

I carried a battery pack back up, never used it, used the phone about every three days just to let my wife know I was still alive.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I am with Rasty on this one. I keep my phone turned off until I need it, and usually do not need it.

It would be neat to run the TEG in reverse, hooked up to a solar panel, to cool a beverage, but even that would not persuade me to carry it.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I am with Rasty on this one. I keep my phone turned off until I need it, and usually do not need it.

It would be neat to run the TEG in reverse, hooked up to a solar panel, to cool a beverage, but even that would not persuade me to carry it.

I could be persuaded if it meant a cold beer at the end of a hot day. :lol:

OK Thanks for the feedback - I can appreciate it...

I am returning the power pot anyway. it works as advertized

Some surprises - cylinder of gas - Pocket Rocket and Power Pot =2lbs!

The entire kit takes up as much room as a compressed Down sleeping bag.

Iphone charged ridiculously fast while Pocket Rocket was on simmer. from 42% to 100% in 110 minutes (not a full two hours) Msr used 4oz of fuel in 110 minutes, And was almost empty preventing any further testing. MSR cylinder I used was not fully charged. New cylinders are 11 0z and empty appears to be 4oz. So two charges per large cylinder. This only makes it practical to boil water for cooking and charging at the same time.

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

A group of us from AL were doing a hike from Fontana to Clingman's Dome, a friend of one of the group hiked in and met us with a pack full of beer cooled by dry ice, the Woodford Reserve was a nice offering also....a memorable night on the trail...what I remember of it.

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

A group of us from AL were doing a hike from Fontana to Clingman's Dome, a friend of one of the group hiked in and met us with a pack full of beer cooled by dry ice, the Woodford Reserve was a nice offering also....a memorable night on the trail...what I remember of it.

Now that's a good friend. gif.014

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

One of the guys I sometimes hike with used to have a custom of bringing cookies for everyone the last night on the trail, he now brings a six pack of Old Chub beer (8.6%) for the first night....I consider this a significant improvement.

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

One of the guys I sometimes hike with used to have a custom of bringing cookies for everyone the last night on the trail, he now brings a six pack of Old Chub beer (8.6%) for the first night....I consider this a significant improvement.

I'd rather drink my calories too :P

Drybones...are you the one who got their trail name after you got home from a hike? You came home and had lost so much weight your bones were rattling? Or something like that?

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I'd rather drink my calories too :P

Drybones...are you the one who got their trail name after you got home from a hike? You came home and had lost so much weight your bones were rattling? Or something like that?

Something like that.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

you need to keep inviting him

There's an open campfire invitation for him.
    • I am not sure what to make of this, clearly bad marketing. I have several ideas to bounce off the owners - but this week they cannot be bothered to pick up the phone... The PP v is still in a few on line warehouses the x or ten (watt) appears to be unobtainable. The owners reached out to mark on the Sharktank and even after winning a bid appear out of business.
    • Its a strange huge advantage, ponder this, if you are using a fuel as in wood that is small twigs and Qwiz Ti stove with a power pot - you could charge a tablet! IF I could convince them to have a competitive Jet Boil connection - well lets face it they are a small company. They lack direction and trip over themselves. Their appearance on Shark Tank and Mark Cuban was odd at best, I am not a fan of Mark.

I am working on a plan of making fresh water and getting a free charge on my phone. In the dark.