Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bear Creek Minnestrone

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bear Creek Minnestrone

Taking advantage of the holiday weekend to do some gear shake down. For lunch I made some Bear Creek Minnestrone in over my alcohol stove in my Olicamp pot. This comes in a 9.3 oz package which is 2 cups of dry mix to be cooked in 8 cups of water (what the label call 8 servings). I made 1/2 cup of mix (2 servings) in 1 and 1/2 cup water (a bit more concentrated than the instructions). I brought to boil, boiled for about a minute, and let set in the pot cozy for 15 minutes. It came out quite good. The pasta and veggies were all cooked nicely. This brand does not use much artificial or processed ingredients. For hiking, I will take the remaining mix and divide into two 3/4 cups samples (3 servings each) in a zip bag to be boiled with about 2 cups of water. This size meal should have the following:

330 calories
      1.5 g fat (I will probably add a shot of olive oil while cooking for a calorie boost and flavor)
      2610 mg sodium (I wish it were lower)
      69 g carbs
      12 g protein
    • Bear Creek Minnestrone

odd man out wrote:

Taking advantage of the holiday weekend to do some gear shake down. For lunch I made some Bear Creek Minnestrone in over my alcohol stove in my Olicamp pot. This comes in a 9.3 oz package which is 2 cups of dry mix to be cooked in 8 cups of water (what the label call 8 servings). I made 1/2 cup of mix (2 servings) in 1 and 1/2 cup water (a bit more concentrated than the instructions). I brought to boil, boiled for about a minute, and let set in the pot cozy for 15 minutes. It came out quite good. The pasta and veggies were all cooked nicely. This brand does not use much artificial or processed ingredients. For hiking, I will take the remaining mix and divide into two 3/4 cups samples (3 servings each) in a zip bag to be boiled with about 2 cups of water. This size meal should have the following:

330 calories
      1.5 g fat (I will probably add a shot of olive oil while cooking for a calorie boost and flavor)
      69 g carbs
      12 g protein

I use Bear Creek products a lot. I have a zip lock bag left over from my last hike I'm looking forward to trying, Raiman noodles with BC broccoli cheddar cheese soup mix added to it. I really like the soup mix by itself but thought the extra 400 calories would be nice from the Raiman.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Bear Creek Minnestrone

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

330 calories
      69 g carbs
      12 g protein

I use Bear Creek products a lot. I have a zip lock bag left over from my last hike I'm looking forward to trying, Raiman noodles with BC broccoli cheddar cheese soup mix added to it. I really like the soup mix by itself but thought the extra 400 calories would be nice from the Raiman.

So do you use the seasoning mix from the Ramen, or just the noodles?
    • Bear Creek Minnestrone

odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

330 calories
      69 g carbs
      12 g protein

So do you use the seasoning mix from the Ramen, or just the noodles?

Don't use the seasoning mix when I have other stuff with it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.