Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

John Muir Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Definitely east - west.

although im capable of doing it wrong, i dont think i can be that wrong

Don't underestimate yourself like that

i have an innate sense of direction.
      except when i'm lost

Daniel Boone said he had never been lost, but there times for a day or two he wasn't quite sure where he was.

I may be remembering Fess Parker, on the TV show, but I believe he used the word 'bewildered', never lost!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Definitely east - west.

except when i'm lost

Daniel Boone said he had never been lost, but there times for a day or two he wasn't quite sure where he was.

I may be remembering Fess Parker, on the TV show, but I believe he used the word 'bewildered', never lost!
      TV show? They had reality TV way back then?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Definitely east - west.

except when i'm lost

That man made some really nice Pinot Noir also
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • hikerboy wrote:

sooooo.... if i do the jmt next summer--nobo or sobo?

I did it this past summer. Highly reccomended.

Sobo has a lot of advantages.
      - no acclimatization issues
      - as hard as it is to get permit, its still easier at Yosemite than Whitney
      - doing an in-the-dark summit of Whitney to finish with sunrise there is fricking awesome
      -Spend a little time poking around in Yosemite and then you wont be able to get out of there fast enough. Its like Disneyland. None of Yosemite even "feels" like the JMT. The real JMT starts when you leave Yosemite and the hordes of dayhikers behind at Donahue Pass IMO.

I cant help but wonder what Muir would think of what Yosemite has become.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• I had hopes of doing the JMT next summer but a strange thing happened last Wednesday -- I got a job offer. A perm position. So here I was on the verge of retirement but now I'm not so sure. I haven't formally accepted the job offer yet -- I have till close of business tomorrow to do that.
    • rafe wrote:

I had hopes of doing the JMT next summer but a strange thing happened last Wednesday -- I got a job offer. A perm position. So here I was on the verge of retirement but now I'm not so sure. I haven't formally accepted the job offer yet -- I have till close of business tomorrow to do that.

wtf, im trying to commit, and now you decide work is more important?
      its all good
    • rafe wrote:

I had hopes of doing the JMT next summer but a strange thing happened last Wednesday -- I got a job offer. A perm position. So here I was on the verge of retirement but now I'm not so sure. I haven't formally accepted the job offer yet -- I have till close of business tomorrow to do that.

It only takes 2-3 wks for most. Vacation time is adequate.

Im trying to wrangle enough extra time next yr to do the Colorado Trail....
    • hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

I can retire today....and I want to soo bad so I can walk in the woods full time...and here you are getting a job???
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

Haven't decided yet. But since we did kinda discuss it I felt like you ought to be the first to know about this new development. This has been the #1 item running through my head since last Wednesday when I got the call.
    • muddywaters wrote:

rafe wrote:

It only takes 2-3 wks for most. Vacation time is adequate.

Im trying to wrangle enough extra time next yr to do the Colorado Trail....

i bought cookerhikers book on the ct at the aldha gathering. its on the tick list
      its all good
    • John Muir Trail

rafe wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I would retire the moment I could.

And how do you know "when you can?" Unless you have an inheritance, a nice pension, or a couple million in the bank, it's kinda hard to know. I just turned 62 -- I could start collecting Soc. Sec. right now, but the standard advice given is, don't do that...

I have no idea. It's not happening any time soon for me unless the lottery comes through for me.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • My plan is to retire at 55, hopefully with an incentive package, and start drawing partial pension.

Then I will continue to work, only work contract basis and work no more than 9 months out of the year.

The older I get, the less I will work.

I dont plan to actually retire outright until after 65.

There might be one or two 6 month sabbaticals thrown in between jobs.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

I can retire today....and I want to soo bad so I can walk in the woods full time...and here you are getting a job???

I'm happily married, but my wife's not really that into hiking. Even if I were to retire right now, full-time hiking is not in the cards. It's going to take some negotiating and experimenting. I could probably get away with a few "longish" trips per year. I'd pretty much sold Merry on the idea of my hiking the JMT next summer -- not that I'd actually taken any concrete steps in that direction, other than egging on HikerBoy about it.

Bear in mind it's not quite like the AT -- you've got to get a permit, bear canisters are required, and resupply is pretty limited, from what I gather. There's even a no-poop zone (near the southern end) where all your bodily waste has to be carried out.
    • rafe wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

I'm happily married, but my wife's not really that into hiking. Even if I were to retire right now, full-time hiking is not in the cards. It's going to take some negotiating and experimenting. I could probably get away with a few "longish" trips per year. I'd pretty much sold Merry on the idea of my hiking the JMT next summer -- not that I'd actually taken any concrete steps in that direction, other than egging on HikerBoy about it.

Bear in mind it's not quite like the AT -- you've got to get a permit, bear canisters are required, and resupply is pretty limited, from what I gather. There's even a no-poop zone (near the southern end) where all your bodily waste has to be carried out.

Getting the permit is the hardest part if you want one in advance.
      If you are willing to just show up and get in line the night before, you will get a walk up permit. If you are first in line, you will get the one you want for sure.
      The first half has several resupplies, its only the last 115 miles that create issues for very slow people.
      Walk 15 miles per day, and you wont have that problem. There is around 14 hrs of daylight after all.
      Its easier hiking than the northern and southernmost 2/3s of the AT
    • rafe wrote:

Rafe, you realize HB and I were living vicariously thru YOUR retirement
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Rasty wrote:

I would retire the moment I could.

muddywaters wrote:

My plan is to retire at 55, hopefully with an incentive package, and start drawing partial pension.

Then I will continue to work, only work contract basis and work no more than 9 months out of the year.

Pretty much my plan too. I did retire just before 55, hiked and got injured off trail, returned to the trail until fall and went back to work for a year now. Retirement is again in my sights for spring and a return to hiking and then back to work in the fall. I would like to keep a cycle of of about 4 months work and 8 months of playing for a couple more years.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • muddywaters wrote:

My plan is to retire at 55, hopefully with an incentive package, and start drawing partial pension.

muddywaters,
      Great to see you over hear. Sounds like a great plan!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'm 58.
      "Sort of" retired.
      Annie has to work another 5 years before she can get a pension. Leaving early would severely affect the rate she will get.
      So I am "expected" to also work for another 5 years but I am "allowed" to find part time or casual work I like as much as possible.
      I love my wife.....
      :rolleyes:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Astro wrote:

muddywaters wrote:

muddywaters,
      Great to see you over hear. Sounds like a great plan!

plan?
      its all good
    • CoachLou wrote:

rafe wrote:

I am sorry for your loss. And mine.

It was a weird six months, and it felt so desperate near the end that I'd pretty much given up hope of finding anything. Since the end of 2011 I've had three jobs, worked about 20 of those 36 months. The last gig was supposed to be full-time, there were two big layoffs in the ten months I was there, and I got cut on the second of those. I was the oldest of the twelve people in my department. Coincidence? No matter, it wasn't a great fit and I wasn't happy there... almost relieved to be let go.

I wasn't happy ending my career on a sour note like that. So maybe I have a chance to "redeem myself" and retire at a time and style of my choosing. It won't be too much longer.
    • I wasn't happy ending my career on a sour note like that. So maybe I have a chance to "redeem myself" and retire at a time and style of my choosing. It won't be too much longer.[/quote]

Keep your chin up and keep a leg up on 'em.... call it quits when you are ready and on your time table.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

Sounds like you have commitment issues
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • rafe wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

rafe wrote:

I am sorry for your loss. And mine.

It was a weird six months, and it felt so desperate near the end that I'd pretty much given up hope of finding anything. Since the end of 2011 I've had three jobs, worked about 20 of those 36 months. The last gig was supposed to be full-time, there were two big layoffs in the ten months I was there, and I got cut on the second of those. I was the oldest of the twelve people in my department. Coincidence? No matter, it wasn't a great fit and I wasn't happy there... almost relieved to be let go.

I wasn't happy ending my career on a sour note like that. So maybe I have a chance to "redeem myself" and retire at a time and style of my choosing. It won't be too much longer.

did you accept the job offer?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Well, I'm giving up on getting a JMT permit, don't know what else I can do, send a faxed request 168 days out and send it so it arrives early morning in CA and all requests have been rejected. I question if they are really issuing permits first come first serve. After the IRS scandal I trust no gov't agency. I contacted my congressman and requested he obtain records that show how permits are issued. I'd hate to think all permits are going to folks in CA, it's federal land.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • That sucks Drybones. I didn't have an issue with permit for part I hiked as it was PCT & over a 500 mile trip. As a member of the PCTA I got them to issue e a Joint Use Permit & the Whitney Stamp to boot for free. It is truely one of the best hikes I have done. Every time I would say it couldn't get any better it would. Could you possibly camp for a few days in the Valley & get a permit? It would also be helpfull to saty there to aclimize. Not sure if they still do tah or if it's an option for you.
    • its not first come first served. Its a lottery daily. Faxes received by 730 am I think.
      Most of the permits do go to people in california, because that is where most of the applications come from. CA, WA, OR account for the vast majority.

95% of permit requests are rejected now due to sheer numbers. Unless you tried for 20 days straight, you dont have any reason to think you are not fairly treated..Even then, statistically some will be rejected more than average.

This is what social media, particularly facebook, has done, to all trails.

Movies dont help either..

There are a lot of people that ask for several permit spots, and then find they cant find anyone to go with them to fill them. They need to charge more for permit reservations to prevent this. $100 per person to hold a permit spot, names and driver license required, non refundable IF you dont show up, fully refunded if you do.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Big News affecting both JMT and PCT hikers this year. A bridge for a major stream crossing has been damaged/ washed out. With all the snow this year the crossing would be hazardous. Any reroutes look long and problematic.

Tough year to try a thru-hike.

Some info (and a photo) from the PCTA site...

pcta.org/discover-the-trail/cl…uin-river-bridge-damaged/
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier