Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Packing a backpack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Packing a backpack

Everyone has their own system for packing their backpack. Mine is pretty standard.

Bag and sleep clothes are stuffed in the bottom in a trash bag
      Sleeping pad and pillow are next (I started carrying my pillow again...can't live without it.)
      Flattened, gallon-sized plastic bags with extra clothes/toiletries are worked down into the cracks
      Cook set and rain gear is on top.
      Water filter, map, 1st aid kit, and fuel are in the front pockets
      Food is in the lid.
      Camp shoes(if I take them) and hat usually hang from the pack.
      Two bottles of water are in the bottle holders on each side.

So where should I put my tent? I've tried stuffing it in the bottom with my bag and strapping it to the outside. I don't want a wet tent in my pack but having it on the outside bothers me.

Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Packing a backpack

I'm one of those that likes 100% of my stuff inside my pack. The tent is the only item inside my pack that isn't inside my cuben fiber pack liner so it being damp isn't a factor. How many liters is your pack?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Packing a backpack

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'm one of those that likes 100% of my stuff inside my pack. The tent is the only item inside my pack that isn't inside my cuben fiber pack liner so it being damp isn't a factor. How many liters is your pack?

It's only 50L. I have a 60L but the smaller one is more comfortable.

Gregory Diva?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

It's only 50L. I have a 60L but the smaller one is more comfortable.

Gregory Diva?

yes
    • Packing a backpack

I put my quilt and sleeping clothes in a plastic bag in the bottom. My food bag on top next to my back. Stove, rolled neoxlite , and clothes bag in front of that, w.p.bag with meds, first aid and repair kit on top with net net. Wind shirt may lay on top of all for quick access or gloves. Tent goes in side pocket. TP kit in side pocket. sawyer kit, laundry ziplock in large front pocket, piece of tyvek in side pocket, 1 litre smartwater bottle in each side pocket. Bug spray in side pocket.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

The best exercise I've done is to look at every item except duct tape and a small first aid kit and sort into the piles

1) Used every day
      2) Didn't use
      3) Didn't need but wanted anyway

Leave pile #2 home
      Really evaluate pile #3
      Try to reduce the size of pile #1
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

What sleeping bag and pad? Cook pot and stove?

Kelty lightyear 40 deg and thermarest prolite-short

Several choices of cook sets. Next time I'm taking the pocket rocket and GSI Dualist pot (No offense BB :) )

The lightyear is a synthetic and it's sucking up 15+ liters of your space. Your next gift to yourself should be a down sleeping bag our quilt for summer. My 40° sleeping bag is about 4 liters and it's not being compressed. Your tent looked light so it's not the problem. The pack and pad are quality stuff so it only leaves too much clothing or your sleeping bag.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Packing a backpack

TrafficJam wrote:

So where should I put my tent? I've tried stuffing it in the bottom with my bag and strapping it to the outside. I don't want a wet tent in my pack but having it on the outside bothers me.

I usually put my tent in the large mesh pocket on the outside of the pack. This year when I hike the Pinhoti I'm going to do something different. I'm going to put it under the bed in the travel trailer.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Several choices of cook sets. Next time I'm taking the pocket rocket and GSI Dualist pot (No offense BB :) )

The lightyear is a synthetic and it's sucking up 15+ liters of your space. Your next gift to yourself should be a down sleeping bag our quilt for summer. My 40° sleeping bag is about 4 liters and it's not being compressed. Your tent looked light so it's not the problem. The pack and pad are quality stuff so it only leaves too much clothing or your sleeping bag.

My next purchase is a new bag. I'm saving my pennies.
    • Re:Re: Packing a backpack

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I usually put my tent in the large mesh pocket on the outside of the pack. This year when I hike the Pinhoti I'm going to do something different. I'm going to put it under the bed in the travel trailer.

Wise choice
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Packing a backpack

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

gif.004

Is Shellie driving the travel trailer?
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Packing a backpack

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

My next purchase is a new bag. I'm saving my pennies.

What are you getting?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Packing a backpack

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

gif.004

We're going to leave it at 3 - 4 different base campgrounds and she's gonna shuttle me daily to and from different trailheads.

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

gif.004

We're going to leave it at 3 - 4 different base campgrounds and she's gonna shuttle me daily to and from different trailheads.

That sounds like fun
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

gif.004

That sounds like fun

Should be fun. Looking forward to it. It's gonna be the first real test of my knees on smaller ups and downs. I figure with minimal gear is the best approach. I can bail after one day, 2, 3, whatever if necessary. Hoping to go the distance though.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Packing a backpack

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

gif.004

That sounds like fun

Should be fun. Looking forward to it. It's gonna be the first real test of my knees on smaller ups and downs. I figure with minimal gear is the best approach. I can bail after one day, 2, 3, whatever if necessary. Hoping to go the distance though.

Just hop with the leg with the good knee.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Packing a backpack

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

gif.004

That sounds like fun

Just hop with the leg with the good knee.

gif.001

Rasty wrote:

The best exercise I've done is to look at every item except duct tape and a small first aid kit and sort into the piles

1) Used every day
      2) Didn't use
      3) Didn't need but wanted anyway

Leave pile #2 home
      Really evaluate pile #3
      Try to reduce the size of pile #1

I call my #3 baggie a BUMMER bag: Back Up, Medicine, Maintenance, Emergency, Repair. Little stuff you feel you really should have but it's a bummer if you ever have to use any of them.
    • Packing a backpack

Mountain-Mike wrote:

It sounds like a pretty good packing plan. The only question I have is does the weight of the tent pull you back? If it does I would consider making a different stuff sack so you can put it under your side compression straps & keep the weight closer to your center of gravity.

Thanks, I like your suggestion. The tent is light and doesn't pull me back. If I open my pack for anything, I have to mess with it and that bugs me. I remember now why I put it on the outside...I didn't want to unpack everything in the rain to get to my tent.
    • Packing a backpack

Smart woman!

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

It sounds like a pretty good packing plan. The only question I have is does the weight of the tent pull you back? If it does I would consider making a different stuff sack so you can put it under your side compression straps & keep the weight closer to your center of gravity.

Thanks, I like your suggestion. The tent is light and doesn't pull me back. If I open my pack for anything, I have to mess with it and that bugs me. I remember now why I put it on the outside...I didn't want to unpack everything in the rain to get to my tent.
    • Packing a backpack

My tent fits sideways in bottom of my pack usually.
      If there is a chance of rain my tarp/poncho is in back pocket.
      I have staked this out with hiking poles etc to form shelter for pack and gear whenever I have had to set up tent in rain.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Packing a backpack

I like to pack with the heavy stuff close to my center of gravity & also how I use it. Tent & cooking gear are often on top. I'll gather water & set my pot on the stove. It's heating up as I set my tent up. While cooking I'll often filter water. By the time dinner is ready so is water for the next day.

When I pack it's reverse. By the time breakfast is cooked everything is packed but the tent. Sometimes that to if weather is nice. Wash the pot out & good to go.
    • I almost put this in the waterproof stuff sack thread. I almost created a new thread. Then I recalled this thread. I wanted to leave a detailed response back when it was started. I am leaving one now. Before I do, I would like to state that none of this is original, best, or my idea. I am a consumer of information. I am open to new and better ideas. It is why I am on this type of site. I need instruction. I respect those that have gone before me. I glean the best I can from others that works for me. I will try to make this as logical as possible
      Display Spoiler
      I tend to ramble.

The pack itself: If I had it to do over, I would get a rucksack with no brain, a mesh pocket on the back, and side pockets. The way I pack my pack, everything else is useless weight. It would have to be an Osprey though. I use a Packa to keep the pack and me as dry as possible in the rain.

Liner: I took the brain off my pack and lined the pack with a large heavy duty plastic trash bag. Everything goes in it except the Packa, that day's walking snacks and Nuun, water bottle, Platypus, filter, 2' square door mat/seat made from a windshield shade, journal, maps, compass, avatar, cozy, spoon, and fuel. I will get to that junk later. The trash bag is rolled like an elephant trunk and tucked down after all items are in it. If it does not look like rain, the Packa goes on top of the trash bag and then I pull the draw string to close the top.

Tent: It goes in the backpack first. I have a bag for it. The polls go in the bag first. Then tent is stuffed (not rolled or folded) in the bag. The stakes (gutter nails in a JJ cuben fiber bag) go in the tent bag last. The stuffed bag goes in vertically and to one side. The reason I have a stuff sack for the tent is because the tent can get dirty. The sack keeps that dirt from getting on the rest of the stuff in the bag. If that was not an issue, I would not have a sack for it either.

Sleeping bag and pad: I have a Big Agnes bag and Exped UL7 pad. the pad stays in the sleeping bag sleeve. I deflate and fold from bottom to top about 1 foot at a time. The pad deflates as I do this. When deflated, I fold it in thirds side to side and stuff this in the bottom of the trash bag in the bottom of the pack. This holds the tent in place and creates a soft base for the rest to squish into. Putting a sleeping bag into a stuff sack creates a bowling ball in the bottom of the pack. You are not gaining space by doing this. The bag will more efficiently fill nocks and crannies if it is free to do so. It will also squish down as much by what is placed on top of it as it would if put in its own sack. No need for a stuff sack for the sleeping bag or pad.

Cook set: I have a KMart grease pot, 2 piece homemade cone, eCHS stove, wire stand, igniter, pot gripper, cup, and emergency fire starter setup that I have blogged about already. All of this fits in the grease pot along with my rock from Katahdin. I use a piece of shock cord to keep the top on the pot. This setup goes in next.

Food bag: I hang my food. It is in a roll top bag that holds air when rolled. I take poptarts with me. By rolling the bag with just enough trapped air, the poptarts do no get damaged. The food bag goes in next.

Smalls: All my odd ball stuff fits in a cuben fiber roll top bag. This mostly includes repair and body maintenance stuff. It holds air too. It is rolled with a tiny amount of trapped air and goes in next.

Clothes: I do not bring much extra. I believe if you cannot wear it all at once, you are carrying too much. Exceptions are sleeping socks, hat, and extra pair of underwear. They go in anywhere they fit to fill voids.

A 10 liter Sea to Summit bucket gets tossed in and the bag rolled and closed.

The junk listed above not in the trash bag goes in pockets. The doormat, cozy, maps, journal, compass, and spoon go in the back mesh sleeve. The fuel, and filter (in a protected sleeve) go in one side pocket. The platypus and water bottle go in the other side pocket. The gorp is strapped to a front strap. The poptarts and pepperoni and one map go in my pants pockets. The avatar gets hung from the back of the pack.

I am sure I have missed something. I am sure it is not perfectly clear. I am sure it can be improved upon. Hopefully it helps someone. Hopefully I will continue to perfect my setup.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

The post was edited 3 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• Essentially BB I do the same.
      Differences:
      I have a ULA pack.
      I do not put ANY fluids in the body of the pack.
      i.e. Nothing inside the trash bag that could dampen the contents.
      I do not use a water bag. Bottles only.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Not at all.
      I avoid any possibility of something leaking in my pack - water, alcohol fuel, soy sauce, anything.
      Call it overcautious but that's just me.
      The ULA pack is excellent because it has so much room in outside pockets that I have carried over 7 litres of fluid and not broken my rule.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Essentially BB I do the same.
      Differences:
      I have a ULA pack.
      I do not put ANY fluids in the body of the pack.
      i.e. Nothing inside the trash bag that could dampen the contents.
      I do not use a water bag. Bottles only.

We are alike in the fluids department too. That is why the fuel bottle goes in a side pocket. The tent is sometimes damp when it goes into its own stuff sack. Perhaps that is what you mean. Do you put your tent bag on the outside of the trash bag, but in the pack? I might try that.

The main purpose of my detailed post is to answer the stuff sack question in another thread. I honestly think many stuff sacks are not needed. Quite frankly they remove the ability of many soft items to fill voids (like clothes and sleeping bag). As such, they are just dead weight.

I feel the same about many other objects. Ask yourself if you even looked at the "needed" object you lugged. If it is not a necessary emergency item or a piece of clothing not worn because it was just too hot, you might want to leave it behind. The list of things to leave behind just keeps growing for me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

Sleeping bag and pad: I have a Big Agnes bag and Exped UL7 pad. the pad stays in the sleeping bag sleeve. I deflate and fold from bottom to top about 1 foot at a time. The pad deflates as I do this. When deflated, I fold it in thirds side to side and stuff this in the bottom of the trash bag in the bottom of the pack. This holds the tent in place and creates a soft base for the rest to squish into. Putting a sleeping bag into a stuff sack creates a bowling ball in the bottom of the pack. You are not gaining space by doing this. The bag will more efficiently fill nocks and crannies if it is free to do so. It will also squish down as much by what is placed on top of it as it would if put in its own sack. No need for a stuff sack for the sleeping bag or pad.

some hikers do this. however, i believe in murphys law so i am not one of them.

i keep my bag in a stuff sack as a layer of protection against getting wet. while that is reason enough, i also believe (although can not prove it) that this also offers protection to the bags internal baffles.

if a stuffed bag resembles a bowling ball then the stuff sack is likely to small.
      2,000 miler
    • The bowling ball comment was an exaggeration on my part. The shape of the stuffed sleeping bag is less able to fill voids is the point of my exaggeration. Nothing wet goes in the trash bag pack liner. The trash bag keeps wet out of everything... including sleeping bag. Stuff sack is redundant protection. The sleeping bag protects the baffles in the pad. Just my opinions. I offer them selfishly to get feedback to improve my system. I think OZ has provided a suggestion to help my preference.