Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Where should I hike?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I'm looking at 3 potential, fall hikes on the BMT over 2 nights/3 days (maybe 3 nights/4 days but I doubt I can find the time). I'd like to have half the trail done by the end of the year.

Beech Gap parking to Tapoco Lodge, maybe a little further. The logistics may be too difficult to get a shuttle so it would probably be an out and back. Personally, I don't think hiking South from the lodge will be very enjoyable.

South from Thunder Rock Campground, or get a shuttle 30 mi south and hike back to Thunderrock.

Lakeshore Trail.

Any input is appreciated.
      I really enjoyed Lakeshore Trail...planning to do it again this fall or winter, did it in December last time and had great weather.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm looking at 3 potential, fall hikes on the BMT over 2 nights/3 days (maybe 3 nights/4 days but I doubt I can find the time). I'd like to have half the trail done by the end of the year.

Beech Gap parking to Tapoco Lodge, maybe a little further. The logistics may be too difficult to get a shuttle so it would probably be an out and back. Personally, I don't think hiking South from the lodge will be very enjoyable.

South from Thunder Rock Campground, or get a shuttle 30 mi south and hike back to Thunderrock.

Lakeshore Trail.

I really enjoyed Lakeshore Trail...planning to do it again this fall or winter, did it in December last time and had great weather.
      that's what I'm leaning towards. I really want to wait and hike beech gap to Fontana in one trip, not an out and back. Plus the planning is much easier.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lakeshore Trail.

that's what I'm leaning towards. I really want to wait and hike beech gap to Fontana in one trip, not an out and back. Plus the planning is much easier.
      How many miles is that?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lakeshore Trail.

How many miles is that?
      32?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lakeshore Trail.

How many miles is that?
      32?
      Are you sure it,s not "42"??? :D gif.013.gif gif.014.gif finger.gif
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lakeshore Trail.

How many miles is that?
      32?
      Are you sure it,s not "42"??? :D gif.013.gif gif.014.gif finger.gif
      Red Flag for excessive dancing banana usage smileys-afraid-182573
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I'm fairly confident that I'll be hiking in SNP in August with my oldest daughter...hopefully she won't back out.

I've hiked most of the southern section. I lack McCormick gap to Turk gap but will drive up the day before to finish that section before we meet.

We'll have two cars so have a lot of options.

I know nothing about the trail south of Rockfish Gap, except that the Priest is very steep. We can drive south and park a car 20-30 miles up the road and hike back to Rockfish gap or drive north from McCormick gap and hike back to the car.

I don't mind re-hiking the trail in this area, I just want her to have a great time.

Opinions?
    • You could park at the Tye River om VA 56 and hike back to Rockfish Gap. You would start with an uphill (of course) but after Maupin Field Shelter it's easy until you pass Dripping Springs and go up the backside of Humpback Mtn (really not bad) and then it's downhill from there to the Paul Wolfe shelter which is really nice with a memorial park bench and a beautiful stream. From there it's a very slight uphill/flat to Rockfish Gap. You will see people around the Tye doing a loop with the Mau-Har Trail ( hard trail ) which also goes to Maupin Field shelter. About 2 miles north of Maupin is Reed's Gap where if you feel adventurous hitch hike on the road trail east ( go past Wintergreen Resort) about 5 miles is Devil's Backbone Brewery where if you have too much you can camp in their field.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Or you could do Loft Mtn to Big meadows and spoil yourselves along the way at Loft Mtn campground store, loft Mtn Wayside, Lewis Mtn country store and Big Meadows wayside. Showers available at loft Mtn campground store, Lewis mtn campground store and Big Meadows campground.

Or any 30-35 miles in the park will be nice. Expect to see way more people in the park than the Tye river route, but on a weekend I will see about 15- 20 people along the trail to Maupin. It's all good trail in both places- i hike it a lot.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

You could park at the Tye River om VA 56 and hike back to Rockfish Gap. You would start with an uphill (of course) but after Maupin Field Shelter it's easy until you pass Dripping Springs and go up the backside of Humpback Mtn (really not bad) and then it's downhill from there to the Paul Wolfe shelter which is really nice with a memorial park bench and a beautiful stream. From there it's a very slight uphill/flat to Rockfish Gap. You will see people around the Tye doing a loop with the Mau-Har Trail ( hard trail ) which also goes to Maupin Field shelter. About 2 miles north of Maupin is Reed's Gap where if you feel adventurous hitch hike on the road trail east ( go past Wintergreen Resort) about 5 miles is Devil's Backbone Brewery where if you have too much you can camp in their field.
      This is first on the list. I'm waiting to hear what time she'll be there on day 1. If we don't meet until afternoon, I'll have to cut out some miles.
    • Im planning a trip for my son and myself the weekend before thanksgiving and need some ideas. He has only backpacked once and it wasn’t the ideal experience. We still had fun but I want this trip to be better. I think he will really enjoy hiking on the AT and possibly meeting some SOBO’s.

I’d like to hike a section with shelters available in case of bad weather but don’t want to do the section n GSMNP. I also don’t want to drive a long way from Knoxville and want to hike a section that I haven’t done.

I was thinking about I-40 to Hot Springs but read that besides Max Patch, that section is sort of boring. another option is to hike sobo from Fontana.

Any other ideas?
    • jimmyjam wrote:

How about the section just south of 19E? Leave your car at the Mountain Harbour B&B hostel, great balds to hike over.
      That’s a good idea but I’ve hiked that section several times and it’s about a 2 hr drive from my house, making it nearly 4 for my son.

He only has Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.

He lives in Chattanooga so I’ve been thinking that a section in GA might be better for him (?)

Ugh, it’s so much pressure. If it were only me, it wouldn’t be a big deal but I want him to love it as much as I do.
    • Albert Mountain to NOC is 37 miles. AWOL shows parking near Albert Mountain, but not sure how good it is. I know the road to Wayah Bald is long, winding, and slow and have parked there only during the day.

Winding Stair US 64 and NOC US 19/74 should be good for parking.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

My son has ditched me to hang out with some girls Friday night. The nerve! :)

He says he is still going to hike with me on Saturday but that remains to be seen. It looks like we’ll end up in the Smokies.

kids...
      I can relate. I bought my son a ticket to watch Justin Verlander pitch the last Astros home game thus year which also happened to be his 20th win, clubs 100th, and clinched the AL Western Division. Pretty awesome game with lots of Astro homeruns (George Springer led the bottom of 1st and then hit 2 more in his next at bats. :thumbup:

So a classic game with a whole lot of celebrating, but my son wasn't there, as he stood me up with his girlfriend to pick out a new puppy. :rolleyes:

Had drive 500 miles there and then back. But had no problem selling the Standing Room Only ticket. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General