Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Where should I hike?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm wimping out on the section of the BMT because of rain. I don't mind hiking in rain but I don't know how the girls will do. Instead, we're headed to the AT and staying in shelters. I'm bummed but it feels like the better choice and I know they'll have fun hanging out with other hikers... and shelter mice.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Don't count on shelter space on the AT.
      :(

i got reservations and half the people won't show up because of the rain

And anyway, who wouldn't make room for these two girls? ;)

Wanna borrow my pistol?

No need. No one else showed up at the shelter. We must be the only fools. It's windy and cold and going to rain all day. I'm thinking about bailing.
      Images
      • image.jpg

103.32 kB, 800×600, viewed 491 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Wanna borrow my pistol?

No need. No one else showed up at the shelter. We must be the only fools. It's windy and cold and going to rain all day. I'm thinking about bailing.

Which shelter?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm wimping out on the section of the BMT because of rain. I don't mind hiking in rain but I don't know how the girls will do. Instead, we're headed to the AT and staying in shelters. I'm bummed but it feels like the better choice and I know they'll have fun hanging out with other hikers... and shelter mice.

Wuss!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm wimping out on the section of the BMT because of rain. I don't mind hiking in rain but I don't know how the girls will do. Instead, we're headed to the AT and staying in shelters. I'm bummed but it feels like the better choice and I know they'll have fun hanging out with other hikers... and shelter mice.

Wuss!

yep, we bailed. Conditions weren't favorable and I worried about someone getting hypothermic. It's hard being responsible for other people. I'm still camping...on my daughters dorm room floor. :)
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Wanna borrow my pistol?

Which shelter?

Ice Water Springs
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wuss!

yep, we bailed. Conditions weren't favorable and I worried about someone getting hypothermic. It's hard being responsible for other people. I'm still camping...on my daughters dorm room floor. :)

Are you hanging the food bag?
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wuss!

Are you hanging the food bag?

of course. And sippin some George Dickel.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wuss!

Probably a smart move. While it is great you have valuable nursing skills, you don't want to have to use them unless you have to.

I hiked the first half of GSMNP during spring break a few years ago. Temps in the teens with ice and snow, but nothing worse than snow falling on me, and was not getting soaking wet like your rain. I did appreciate those fire places in the shelters every night. Fortunately it warmed up as I went.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I recall one night it rained a lot all night. I woke up in the morning and it was still raining. So we (was backpacking with my daughter) just stayed in our sleeping bags hoping it would let up. After a few hours we decided we couldn't stand to be cooped up in this tiny tent any longer so we decided to brave the rain and get moving. I got out of the tent, looked at the sky and said "oh crap". It seems that that it had actually stopped raining some time ago and what sounded like a downpour was really just a little bit of water dripping off the leaves from the rain overnight. It's amazing how the sound of a few drips are amplified by hitting the tent canopy.
    • odd man out wrote:

I recall one night it rained a lot all night. I woke up in the morning and it was still raining. So we (was backpacking with my daughter) just stayed in our sleeping bags hoping it would let up. After a few hours we decided we couldn't stand to be cooped up in this tiny tent any longer so we decided to brave the rain and get moving. I got out of the tent, looked at the sky and said "oh crap". It seems that that it had actually stopped raining some time ago and what sounded like a downpour was really just a little bit of water dripping off the leaves from the rain overnight. It's amazing how the sound of a few drips are amplified by hitting the tent canopy.

thats happened to me a few times.
      its all good
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Wuss!

Probably a smart move. While it is great you have valuable nursing skills, you don't want to have to use them unless you have to.

I hiked the first half of GSMNP during spring break a few years ago. Temps in the teens with ice and snow, but nothing worse than snow falling on me, and was not getting soaking wet like your rain. I did appreciate those fire places in the shelters every night. Fortunately it warmed up as I went.
      Cold rain is just no dam fun, I'd have bail to too.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Got my Colorado Trail guide book yesterday...gave up getting a permit for the JMT.

cookerhiker bill cooke wrote a book about his ct thru hike ."shades of gray,splashes of color". bought it from him at the gathering but havent yet read it. btw did you know marijuana is legal in colorado?

I did read it right away. I was a good read, as walking essays can be. Not eggsactly "The Maine Woods" but, I would certainly recommend it to anyone walking that trail. Unfortunately, you will have to rely on Bill discriptions 'cause the pics are kind of shytty.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Georgia people, any good hiking near Conyers, GA?

nothing that qualifies as "good" although there are places you can hike.

you are closest to panola mountain state park. i was there about 20 years ago so double check anything i say. there are a couple hiking trails, but they only total about 2 miles. there is also a 3.5 mile trail to panola mountain, but is a guided trip only and they only do it about once a week. supposedly they have put in paved biking trails since i there last that total about 20 miles and rentals are available. small museum with stuffed racoons and snakes and stuff. this is the kinda place you take kids or maybe a non hiking friend just to get outdoors.

you are also close to stone mountain park. very touristy. $15 to park. you can hike around the mountain; 5 mile loop. hike up to the top of the mountain; 2 mile round trip. hike up to the top of stone mountain and you earn a certificate. :) this was one of my son's favorite hikes because a) i bought him a slushie at the top of the mountain and b) it was only a 45 minute drive to get there instead of 2 hours to the a.t. it does have good views at the summit.

there is "good" hiking at kennesaw mountain national park but its a long drive from conyers to kennesaw.

edit to add: i'm an hour with no traffic (hah!) from conyers so i'm certainly not an expert as to what is there. i'll check my atlanta hiking books later to see if there is something else i don't know about.

edit to add: just to clarify; 20 miles of hiking trails at kennesaw mountain but no camping allowed.

edit to add: my book of atlanta hikes doesn't have anything else close to conyers.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 3 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Georgia people, any good hiking near Conyers, GA?

nothing that qualifies as "good" although there are places you can hike.

you are closest to panola mountain state park. i was there about 20 years ago so double check anything i say. there are a couple hiking trails, but they only total about 2 miles. there is also a 3.5 mile trail to panola mountain, but is a guided trip only and they only do it about once a week. supposedly they have put in paved biking trails since i there last that total about 20 miles and rentals are available. small museum with stuffed racoons and snakes and stuff. this is the kinda place you take kids or maybe a non hiking friend just to get outdoors.

you are also close to stone mountain park. very touristy. $15 to park. you can hike around the mountain; 5 mile loop. hike up to the top of the mountain; 2 mile round trip. hike up to the top of stone mountain and you earn a certificate. :) this was one of my son's favorite hikes because a) i bought him a slushie at the top of the mountain and b) it was only a 45 minute drive to get there instead of 2 hours to the a.t. it does have good views at the summit.

there is "good" hiking at kennesaw mountain national park but its a long drive from conyers to kennesaw.

edit to add: i'm an hour with no traffic (hah!) from conyers so i'm certainly not an expert as to what is there. i'll check my atlanta hiking books later to see if there is something else i don't know about.

edit to add: just to clarify; 20 miles of hiking trails at kennesaw mountain but no camping allowed.

I'll be camping at the International Horse Center. I'll probably stick to cycling that weekend.
    • My next hiking trip is towards the end of June. I have several routes in mind on the BMT but I'm afraid it'll be too hot. The choices are a loop encompassing the old Slickrock Creek ford and the new bypass starting at Beech Gap, the Lakeshore Trail, or Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock campground. Or maybe I'll head north and hike on the AT.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My next hiking trip is towards the end of June. I have several routes in mind on the BMT but I'm afraid it'll be too hot. The choices are a loop encompassing the old Slickrock Creek ford and the new bypass starting at Beech Gap, the Lakeshore Trail, or Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock campground. Or maybe I'll head north and hike on the AT.
      The only trails I'd hike in that kind of weather have a lot of water to take a dip in. If you have not done the Foothills Trail you should.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My next hiking trip is towards the end of June. I have several routes in mind on the BMT but I'm afraid it'll be too hot. The choices are a loop encompassing the old Slickrock Creek ford and the new bypass starting at Beech Gap, the Lakeshore Trail, or Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock campground. Or maybe I'll head north and hike on the AT.
      The only trails I'd hike in that kind of weather have a lot of water to take a dip in. If you have not done the Foothills Trail you should.

I would love to hike the Foothills Trail but this is my dilemma. I have 6 days off and on day 1, I have to be in Tellico Plains for most of the day. So I will be close to the BMT and can hike a few miles that afternoon or stay in a campground and start early the next morning. The alternative is to drive back home, head somewhere else the next day, and have less time to hike.
    • I don't have my guide handy so this is off the top of my head.

Going SOBO on the BMT, between mile 120 until you get to Lost Creek, around mile 106, there are several pay campsites. Does the trail go right by these sites? Do they look safe? Would it be easy to find a place to camp near Reliance if I don't want to stay in a pay site but can't make it to the Lost Creek site?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I'm looking at 3 potential, fall hikes on the BMT over 2 nights/3 days (maybe 3 nights/4 days but I doubt I can find the time). I'd like to have half the trail done by the end of the year.

Beech Gap parking to Tapoco Lodge, maybe a little further. The logistics may be too difficult to get a shuttle so it would probably be an out and back. Personally, I don't think hiking South from the lodge will be very enjoyable.

South from Thunder Rock Campground, or get a shuttle 30 mi south and hike back to Thunderrock.

Lakeshore Trail.

Any input is appreciated.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().