Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Where should I hike?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where should I hike?

TrafficJam wrote:

I still haven't decided where to go. Likely the decision will be based on how social I'm feeling. Most of the time, I don't like hiking where there are a lot of people.

Which got me thinking... how do loners tolerate hiking on the AT?

I'm sort of a loner. I mean I have plenty of friends, but I don't mind doing things by myself either. When I started my section hike mid-April last year with the herd from Springer, it wasn't a problem. I found myself in a loose association of a group of about 6 and a larger group of maybe 12. The 6 of us would decide a destination for the day and hike at our own individual pace. It's not long before you find yourself alone, but when you stop for a break people in the "herd" start to catch up to you. Sometimes when we got our destination a couple of us would decide to push on. We would run into the rest of the group at a town stop- we would be headed back and they would be headed in. I never really felt "crowded" except 2 rainy days when everyone packed into a shelter. I had a lot of my space and alone time.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Where should I hike?

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I still haven't decided where to go. Likely the decision will be based on how social I'm feeling. Most of the time, I don't like hiking where there are a lot of people.

Which got me thinking... how do loners tolerate hiking on the AT?
      just avoid the shelters and towns

The AT was so crowded Easter weekend, I was afraid to pee. I had to wait until I turned down a side trail. 2.gif
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I'm looking for more advice. I'm hiking with my 18 yr old. I want her to have a good experience and see some good sights. I'd rather hike on the BMT but she likes being around people. I was thinking about starting at NOC and hiking towards home...or north from Davenport Gap....or north from 19E.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I'll rule out starting at NOC then. :)

Of course it's all dependent on weather, that time of year will be a crap shoot. She's not affected by the cold as much as I am.

Edit...She lives near Erwin so north of Erwin would be convenient. I've already taken her Roan Mt to 19E.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

I'll rule out starting at NOC then. :)

Of course it's all dependent on weather, that time of year will be a crap shoot. She's not affected by the cold as much as I am.

Edit...She lives near Erwin so north of Erwin would be convenient. I've already taken her Roan Mt to 19E.

erwin north is a beautiful section of trail over beauty spot and unaka mtn ,the humps,roan. bit of a climb out of erwin, but after unaka the trail just rolls until roan, which isnt really that bad now that bob peoples has switchbacked it to death.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

erwin north is a beautiful section of trail over beauty spot and unaka mtn ,the humps,roan. bit of a climb out of erwin, but after unaka the trail just rolls until roan, which isnt really that bad now that bob peoples has switchbacked it to death.

I meant north of 19E...I love the section south of 19E but would like to see something different.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I meant north of 19E...I love the section south of 19E but would like to see something different.

then id say davenport gap to hot springs
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Only three days
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Only three days

36 miles.

there are parking turnouts at allen gap,hwy70 (56 miles)and sams gap(80 miles), spivey gap would be 94 miles
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Only three days

36 miles.

there are parking turnouts at allen gap,hwy70 (56 miles)and sams gap(80 miles), spivey gap would be 94 miles

Thanks...that looks perfect. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
    • If the weather is bad for these higher elevation hikes you could always go down and do the foothills trail. It's much lower elevation and the scenery is 5 stars.

i did this last year at the end of March. We did it in 4 nights, but that was kinda pushing it for us. Especially since it was the first long hike of the season. 5 nights would have been much more enjoyable.
    • I took my daughter backpacking when she was 18. We went to North Manitou Island. Great trip, but not recommended if you want to see people, or go in March. We had the southern half of the island all to ourselves.

[IMG:https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1937383_270264390594_6657129_n.jpg?oh=cd40deac25e2c3ace7058a42a60ca6a3&oe=55510BE8&__gda__=1432142257_c92d3bcdc24911f32e10053b56266f8d]
    • Lots of good suggestions. Da Wolf's is prolly the best. (Dam, that guy is always right. He drives me loco) Going out of Hot Springs to Allen Gap is nice. Go up the tower on Rich Mountain and camp up there. The campsite is kinda a minefield if you know what I mean.

If you Cowboy in Rich Mountain Fire tower, don't do it in the rain. The roof leaks badly. Not too high of altitudes and Camp Creek was not a Bald when I was there last. Good views from the ridges after Camp Creek. You would go past the Shelton Grave sites. If you kept going you would see my fave camp spot on Frozen Knob and maybe have a chance to see the sun rise over Big/Little Bald, Temple Hill Beauty Spot, Unaka and Roan at the same time. I was lucky to get a pic of all of them as I stumbled and tripped out my doorway right at dawn (Dam alarm did not go off). The pic is in my gallery.

End at I-24 or go over Big Bald.Great views from there. If you camp on the summit, be ready for some locals to watch you exit your tent at dawn and it could be embarrassing trying to pee w/o being noticed. High Rocks before Spivey Gap (locals call it Whistling Rocks) are not to be missed. If you are lucky you may even meet the Hermit of Little Bald. It's an easy hike from Spivey to Erwin.

I also like the idea of starting at the ranger station at Davenport and going straight up MT Sterling (Is it the Big Creek Trail?) It gains like 4000 ft in 6 miles or 6000 ft in 4 mikes. One or the other it gets you up there quick (if it doesn't kill you) You're up on Balsam Ridge. You could do the BMT and then loop up back on the AT. The walk on Hell Ridge will make you cry if it's clear. Then you could visit Mt. Cammerrer. and it's a lovely walk in the park back to Davenport.

Anywhere you go in the Southern Apps, you won't be disappointed.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I took my daughter backpacking when she was 18. We went to North Manitou Island. Great trip, but not recommended if you want to see people, or go in March. We had the southern half of the island all to ourselves.

OMO, I did that trip this summer...very fun!

Nice. That pic was taken on the beach at the SE corner of the island. From there we went off trail and followed the shore to the SW corner where we camped at the first available spot. After setting up camp we walked north to find the trail and saw nobody. The next day we camped by the dock and found out that everyone else on the island went over to the west side so indeed we were alone on the south side. I got a near terminal case of poison ivy, but at least the bugs weren't bad.
    • My daughter doesn't care where we hike so we're hiking 30+ miles on the BMT. She's thinking about hiking the AT next summer so the more remote BMT will be good experience. She's bringing a friend who we backpacked with a few months ago. It was the friends first trip and she was so excited and had a lot of fun. I can't wait to get out with the girls.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter doesn't care where we hike so we're hiking 30+ miles on the BMT. She's thinking about hiking the AT next summer so the more remote BMT will be good experience. She's bringing a friend who we backpacked with a few months ago. It was the friends first trip and she was so excited and had a lot of fun. I can't wait to get out with the girls.

What Section this time?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock campground. I'm excited about seeing the Hiwassee river.

I remember that section sucking for me. Might have been because it was day one with a 9 hour drive after 3 hours of sleep after working 14 hours. It sucked but the trail was really nice.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Unicoi Gap to Thunder Rock campground. I'm excited about seeing the Hiwassee river.

I remember that section sucking for me. Might have been because it was day one with a 9 hour drive after 3 hours of sleep after working 14 hours. It sucked but the trail was really nice.

I think it's even nicer hiking South.

We did it north. I blame HB
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Thats because HB does everything all wrong!
      RIAP
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

and you missed one of the nicest stretches of trail , just south of the hiawassee,where you met me in reliance. from there sobo along lost creek to thunder rock,, theres a beautiful limestone boulder filled gorge you will climb through,with good camping opportunites.theres a good site right next to the creek at mile marker 105.8.real pretty.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

and you missed one of the nicest stretches of trail , just south of the hiawassee,where you met me in reliance. from there sobo along lost creek to thunder rock,, theres a beautiful limestone boulder filled gorge you will climb through,with good camping opportunites.theres a good site right next to the creek at mile marker 105.8.real pretty.

It gives me a good starting or ending point for when I get back there
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

When we hike through Reliance, will we be passing any places to eat?

i rented a cabin at reliance fly and tackle while waiting for rasty last year. they have a small store with limited supplies, and even more limited meals. they serve some breakfast, sandwiches, i had a pulled pork sandwich.
      a little farther south after the trestle theres hiawassee outfitters which is closed till end of april.
      black bear resort is 5 miles away
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When we hike through Reliance, will we be passing any places to eat?

i rented a cabin at reliance fly and tackle while waiting for rasty last year. they have a small store with limited supplies, and even more limited meals. they serve some breakfast, sandwiches, i had a pulled pork sandwich.
      a little farther south after the trestle theres hiawassee outfitters which is closed till end of april.
      black bear resort is 5 miles away

That's about a mile walk? I don't think we'll go out of our way. Do you remember if there were convenience stores?