Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Where should I hike?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where should I hike?

I'm trying to decide where to hike this month and I'm overwhelmed. My sister can't hike with me so I have many choices. I'd like about 50 miles over 5 days. I'd love to see the ponies in Grayson Highlands SP, hike the Lakeshore Trail (+ some) in GSMNP, or do half of SNP. I was even thinking about a route that would let me meet up with Trillium. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Where should I hike?

Grayson Highlands looks awsome-i have not done it yet. That section south of Daleville is nice with Dragons Tooth, McAfee and Tinker Cliffs. Some big hills some exposure at Dragons Tooth not sure how you are with that and heights . A fairly unpopulated section except for McAfee. SIP is good if your not comfortable yet with being in remote places and the campgrounds and stores make it nice. There will be day hikers on the weekends .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

I don't think so. You could always call a shuttle if you have trouble but I think with the thrus starting to come in there will be shuttlers already at Rockfish. I can also give you a guys # that lives in Afton that took me to Loft Mtn for free.
      If I am up there I'd be glad to give you lift.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I don't think so. You could always call a shuttle if you have trouble but I think with the thrus starting to come in there will be shuttlers already at Rockfish. I can also give you a guys # that lives in Afton that took me to Loft Mtn for free.

I don't have my map in front of me but I think Lewis campground is about 52 mi (?) from Rockfish Gap. That's probably where I'd start hiking,

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm trying to decide where to hike this month and I'm overwhelmed. My sister can't hike with me so I have many choices. I'd like about 50 miles over 5 days. I'd love to see the ponies in Grayson Highlands SP, hike the Lakeshore Trail (+ some) in GSMNP, or do half of SNP. I was even thinking about a route that would let me meet up with Trillium. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

The lakeshore will be hot later in the month. Maybe Clingmans dome to Davenport? Mostly high elevation and probably the best part of the Smokies.

Another possibility would be a loop in the smokies from Davenport gap with the BMT and the creek trail that runs in between the BMT and the AT.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The lakeshore will be hot later in the month. Maybe Clingmans dome to Davenport? Mostly high elevation and probably the best part of the Smokies.

Another possibility would be a loop in the smokies from Davenport gap with the BMT and the creek trail that runs in between the BMT and the AT.

I've hiked the northern section of the Smokies and my oldest daughter wants to hike it later this summer. I like the loop idea.

Personally I will be happy never to lay eyes on the Grayson ponies ever again. They are popular because they are a novelty. The reality is that they are like large seagulls chasing handouts. They look unhealthy with their bloated stomachs and they will bite and chew your gear. Hike somewhere else and visit a horse stud on the way home is my tip.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Personally I will be happy never to lay eyes on the Grayson ponies ever again. They are popular because they are a novelty. The reality is that they are like large seagulls chasing handouts. They look unhealthy with their bloated stomachs and they will bite and chew your gear. Hike somewhere else and visit a horse stud on the way home is my tip.

Everyone has to see the ponies at least once, right?

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Everyone has to see the ponies at least once, right? quote]

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

HB and I saw them last year in a hurricane. it was very tough finding a spot to pitch the Hooch, that was not well fertilized! 46.gif
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Where should I hike?

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I'm planning on hiking the AT from VA635 north to Daleville (71 miles in 6 days) this July. Haven't been there before, but that section has been recommended.

I'll look at that section although 71 miles is probably too ambitious for me.

If you start at VA42 instead it's 52.5 miles. You will still pass Dragons Tooth, McAfee and Tinker Cliffs.

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I kinda agree with Oz. The ponies are cute, but the pony patties are everywhere, and avoiding them if tenting can be a challenge. Bring your barn boots if you plan to stay around Thomas Knob Shelter.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I don't have my map in front of me but I think Lewis campground is about 52 mi (?) from Rockfish Gap. That's probably where I'd start hiking,

Rockfish Gap to:
      US 33 - 45.5 mi
      Lewis Mtn Campground - 53.8 mi
      Big Meadows - 61.6

http://www.atdist.com/atdist

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Everyone has to see the ponies at least once, right?

Watch your step. As if the rocks, mud, water, and roots were not bad enough, the ponies and horses like to make their contribution too. I remember cows also, but I believe they were on the other side of the fence.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I'm planning on hiking the AT from VA635 north to Daleville (71 miles in 6 days) this July. Haven't been there before, but that section has been recommended.

I will be doing that section in July also (NOBO from Newport VA42).

I'm scheduled to be hiking July 9-14. I will be the odd man out on the trail.

Where you going?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Where you going?

I'm planning on hiking the AT from VA635 north to Daleville (71 miles in 6 days) this July.
    • Where should I hike?

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Unfortunately looks like I will be a week behind you. I will look for you in the log books.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Where should I hike?

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Unfortunately looks like I will be a week behind you. I will look for you in the log books.

I'm pretty slow. Maybe you'll catch me.
    • Where should I hike?

I tried to post a pic.................Overload and I will be hiking in the Virgin Island National Park next week 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif :woohoo: :) :P :woohoo: gif.014 gif.013 gif.014 gif.005 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif

.................and snorkling!
    • Where should I hike?

CoachLou wrote:

I tried to post a pic.................Overload and I will be hiking in the Virgin Island National Park next week 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif :woohoo: :) :P :woohoo: gif.014 gif.013 gif.014 gif.005 49.gif 49.gif 49.gif

Sounds like fun. You'll see plenty of wildlife I'm sure. Get lots of pics. Don't forget to drain your sinuses nightly. :)
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Where should I hike?

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Sounds like fun. You'll see plenty of wildlife I'm sure. Get lots of pics. Don't forget to drain your sinuses nightly. :)

I've been trying to post pics of a few walks........................."FATAL ERROR" FATAL ERROR"
    • Where should I hike?

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I've been trying to post pics of a few walks........................."FATAL ERROR" FATAL ERROR"

Try resizing it, It has to be less than 1 mb. My teen had to show me how... :lol: