Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Going For A Short Hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Going For A Short Hike

Due to the 5 Boro Bike Tour, which closes part of the Verrazano Bridge making it almost impossible for me to get to work, Kathy and I will be going out this weekend on the AT. While none of the detail are fixed yet we're talking about going to the Silver Hill camp site in Ct.
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

Due to the 5 Boro Bike Tour, which closes part of the Verrazano Bridge making it almost impossible for me to get to work, Kathy and I will be going out this weekend on the AT. While none of the detail are fixed yet we're talking about going to the Silver Hill camp site in Ct.

Paul, that is a cool site. Where are you starting from? The place has a porch. a dining pavilion, and a swing for 2. The pump needs a minimum of 30 pumps to prime, and it will be rusty for a few gallons.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Going For A Short Hike

Lou, Where we park and how much actual hiking we do will depend on how early we can get ourselves to CT. We took a break there when we section hiked CT and told ourselves we'd come back to camp there, so this is the return to camp.
      If anyone is up for a last minute trip feel free to meet us at the Silver Hill campsite Saturday night.
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

Lou, Where we park and how much actual hiking we do will depend on how early we can get ourselves to CT. We took a break there when we section hiked CT and told ourselves we'd come back to camp there, so this is the return to camp.
      If anyone is up for a last minute trip feel free to meet us at the Silver Hill campsite Saturday night.

That is what I was thinking.....but I was told today that my step daughter has her comfirmation(?) Sunday morning!
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

Well, there are more important things than sleeping outside on soggy ground in weather that has a 30% chance of rain with temps in the 40s. Come to think of it, sounds like about perfect conditions for hypothermia :huh:

you have one advantage over the rest of us. no matter how crappy the weather is outside, one of you can turn to the other one and say "at least its not 50 below".
      2,000 miler
    • Going For A Short Hike

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Well, there are more important things than sleeping outside on soggy ground in weather that has a 30% chance of rain with temps in the 40s. Come to think of it, sounds like about perfect conditions for hypothermia :huh:

you have one advantage over the rest of us. no matter how crappy the weather is outside, one of you can turn to the other one and say "at least its not 50 below".

That's true, and I don't know if I'd ever camp out at 50 below.
      Now 25 below, that's a different story. Been there , done that. It was a winter, dogsledding, camping trip in northern MN back in 2007.
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

Doesn't sound too bad to me, especailly after the soaking we've had here on the east coast.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Going For A Short Hike

max.patch wrote:

i guess i was wrong on the details.

but 25 below, 50 below....is there really any noticeable difference at that point anyway?

Yes. I've been there. I was trying to do Moosilauke in winter. I was geared for -25 but ran into -45 and turned back. Ever have a big cloud of yellow snow form downwind as you're taking a pee? It's an interesting experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Re:Re: Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

Sounds like fun! I've made plans to do a day trip to Balsam and Eagle Mountains in the Catskills. (Plus Mount Haynes... twice ... because it's in the way.) About 10 miles, 5200 feet elevation change, some scrambling, four stream crossings. About my limit after sitting on my arse most of the winter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    • Going For A Short Hike

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i guess i was wrong on the details.

but 25 below, 50 below....is there really any noticeable difference at that point anyway?

I do not know if I would even want to go at 25 above, must 25 or 50 below. :S

I'm with you Astro. When I told my brother I was postponing my hike due to our mother's health issue and a few other things, he said that I was likely to have better weather starting mid May than mid April. haha
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

So, how'd it go? The Balsam Mountain trip was great. I could only get out for the day, I had commitments on Sunday morning.
      [IMG:https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7295/14108884944_ce2754dfa7_z.jpg]
      Balsam Mountain view by ke9tv, on Flickr

Pictures or it didn't happen!
    • Going For A Short Hike

The trip happened but the photos are still on the cameras, stand by for pictures in a day or two.
      We got to the parking area about 1PM Saturday and hiked a blue blaze over Breadloaf Mountain until we hit the AT. From there we hiked north about an hour and a half then stopped for lunch break. After lunch we hiked south to Silverhill campsite and spent the evening with 2 people. First was the maintenance supervisor for the CT section of the AT and the second was a thru hiker who started his hike on Feb. 26th and claims he'll be done by June 15th. Rained a little sometime Saturday night, just enough to make a nice "white noise" on the roof of the tent. Sunday we slept in, didn't climb out of the tent till 8:30 and didn't leave camp until 11:30. Once we finally got going we hiked south from Silverhill and the AT went down, then along, the bank of the Housatonic River. Stopped for lunch about a 1/4 mile short of the next shelter. After lunch it was northbound back to the car via the AT and then a road walk that paralleled the river. That was it. The Silverhill campsite is really nice with a lot of amenities that Coach Lou mentioned above, I recommend the place, it's worth a trip. We didn't cover a lot of miles but the purpose of the trip was to relax and unwind, and we did that successfully. :)
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

The trip happened but the photos are still on the cameras, stand by for pictures in a day or two.
      We got to the parking area about 1PM Saturday and hiked a blue blaze over Breadloaf Mountain until we hit the AT. From there we hiked north about an hour and a half then stopped for lunch break. After lunch we hiked south to Silverhill campsite and spent the evening with 2 people. First was the maintenance supervisor for the CT section of the AT and the second was a thru hiker who started his hike on Feb. 26th and claims he'll be done by June 15th. Rained a little sometime Saturday night, just enough to make a nice "white noise" on the roof of the tent. Sunday we slept in, didn't climb out of the tent till 8:30 and didn't leave camp until 11:30. Once we finally got going we hiked south from Silverhill and the AT went down, then along, the bank of the Housatonic River. Stopped for lunch about a 1/4 mile short of the next shelter. After lunch it was northbound back to the car via the AT and then a road walk that paralleled the river. That was it. The Silverhill campsite is really nice with a lot of amenities that Coach Lou mentioned above, I recommend the place, it's worth a trip. We didn't cover a lot of miles but the purpose of the trip was to relax and unwind, and we did that successfully. :)

I like the way you made a walk of it!
    • Going For A Short Hike

LIhikers wrote:

OK, I've put some of our photos from the recent trip to Silverhill campsite in an album plus a bunch of them are over there =====> in the community photo section for now. You can click on the link to see all that I've uploaded.

Link didn't work, but I think I found the album anyway. Sounds as if you three had a great time! (I can see that Tora enjoyed herself - and no doubt came home needing a bath!)
    • Going For A Short Hike

CoachLou wrote:

I just can't figure out who and how someone decided to drill a hole in THAT spot on That rock to put a well in!!!! :blink:

Yea, I don't know.
      What I did learn was that when the park service acquired this land there was a cabin on it that hikers could use. It also had a separate room that was kept locked, and reserved, for trail maintainers so they had a place to keep tools and to sleep when they were out on work trips. The cabin also had a fireplace which caused it's eventual demise. It seems the fireplace was built on top of the wooden floor and supporting joists and beams. Eventually the floor of the fireplace developed cracks which allowed sparks and embers to leak through to the wood below and the rest is history. Water to the cabin was supplied by a large tank, back in the woods which is still there, that was filled by an uphill spring.
    • Going For A Short Hike

I left yesterday to hike from the Thorton Gap SNP entrance to Big Meadows, 17.2 miles. My plan was to do over half Saturday and a short hike out on Sunday. I parked my car at Big Meadows and got a hitch to Skyland. Got a second hitch to Thorton Gap. I finally hit the trail head at 12:30. Immediately the trail starts to climb:

I took a spur trail to Mary's Rock- nice views and worth the extra mileage;

I hiked on and stopped for lunch at Bird's Nest Hut. A nice shelter, real fireplace and 2 outside fireplaces and at one time a working water fountain.

My plan was to stop somewhere after Skyland but before Rock Spring Hut. It was not to be. I saw probably 25 day hikers, 4 section hikers and 20 thru hikers. I was the only one going SOBO. It was nice.

I passed Skyland and there were a few camping sites right after Skyland- too close, I hiked on. Pretty decent views:

The next camping spot I found was a nice little clearing right before Rock Spring Hut. I decided I might as well continue on to the shelter being that close. When I got to the turn off I checked the time- 7:30. Hmmm still got at least 1-1/2 hours of daylight. I'd done the trail from Rock Springs to Big Meadows about 4 times so I knew it well and knew it was down hill until the last mile and that the trail stayed on the west side of the ridge so I would have daylight the whole time if I hustled a little. I decide to go for it, thoughts of a cheeseburger and beer drove me on- a little over 3 miles to the edge of the campground. I got there at 8:30pm.

17.6 miles with the side trip in 8 hrs, not bad for a 50 something. A total up and down of 3,278. 4 snickers, 1 kind plus, 1 knorrs side with 7 oz of chicken, 1 fruit gummy bag, 1 bag of jerky, 1 tuna on a tortilla, 6 litres of water ( double cheesburger and large fries on the way home) and I still lost 4 lbs.

I saw 3 deer, 1 turkey, buzzards, and a redheaded pilated woodpecker almost fly into my head. More pictures posted in my album.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Going For A Short Hike

jimmyjam wrote:

I left yesterday to hike from the Thorton Gap SNP entrance to Big Meadows, 17.2 miles. My plan was to do over half Saturday and a short hike out on Sunday. I parked my car at Big Meadows and got a hitch to Skyland. Got a second hitch to Thorton Gap. I finally hit the trail head at 12:30. Immediately the trail starts to climb:

I took a spur trail to Mary's Rock- nice views and worth the extra mileage;

I hiked on and stopped for lunch at Bird's Nest Hut. A nice shelter, real fireplace and 2 outside fireplaces and at one time a working water fountain.

My plan was to stop somewhere after Skyland but before Rock Spring Hut. It was not to be. I saw probably 25 day hikers, 4 section hikers and 20 thru hikers. I was the only one going SOBO. It was nice.

I passed Skyland and there were a few camping sites right after Skyland- too close, I hiked on. Pretty decent views:

The next camping spot I found was a nice little clearing right before Rock Spring Hut. I decided I might as well continue on to the shelter being that close. When I got to the turn off I checked the time- 7:30. Hmmm still got at least 1-1/2 hours of daylight. I'd done the trail from Rock Springs to Big Meadows about 4 times so I knew it well and knew it was down hill until the last mile and that the trail stayed on the west side of the ridge so I would have daylight the whole time if I hustled a little. I decide to go for it, thoughts of a cheeseburger and beer drove me on- a little over 3 miles to the edge of the campground. I got there at 8:30pm.

17.6 miles with the side trip in 8 hrs, not bad for a 50 something. A total up and down of 3,278. 4 snickers, 1 kind plus, 1 knorrs side with 7 oz of chicken, 1 fruit gummy bag, 1 bag of jerky, 1 tuna on a tortilla, 6 litres of water ( double cheesburger and large fries on the way home) and I still lost 4 lbs.

I saw 3 deer, 1 turkey, buzzards, and a redheaded pilated woodpecker almost fly into my head. More pictures posted in my album.

That first photo brings back unfond memories, this past October I did Pearsburg to Harpers Ferry, feet were wet the first 11 or so days, bad, bad blisters, with those rocks there was no way to keep the feet from twisting and torturing those blisters, the last day in the park I stayed at a shelter that had rocks all around it, could hardly make it to the privy, after an hour or so hiking the next day the pain gives up and goes away, or at least most of it....great shots...I'm sure you're having a good time.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Going For A Short Hike

Astro wrote:

JJ, "not bad for a 50 something"? As a fellow 50 something I would say this is mighty good! gif.004

Thanks for sharing.

I usually don't do such "high" mileage on the first day. Usually it's around 10 and then I ramp it up, but I was on a roll yesterday, the temperature was just right and my knees and hip weren't bothering me, so I just kept going and turned my 2 day hike into a 1 day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • GOING FOR ANOTHER SHORT HIKE

Kathy and I have started to get ready for an upcoming hike of part of the AT in Maine. Yesterday we made a trip to the supermarket to get food items we'll need. This will be the shortest section hike of the AT to date, except local day trips, but have the longest drive to get there. First we'll hike from the Carlo Col shelter (just northbound of the NH/ME border) north to Grafton Notch and then hopefully arrange a shuttle to East B Hill road from where we'll hike south back to Grafton Notch. The total for those 2 hikes is only around 25 miles. We also want to do a piece of NH that we skipped. We're excited to be doing Mahoosuc Notch.

We've got friends who used to vacation in Maine every other year.
      They would always tell us what a great place it was and how much they enjoyed the various parks and other places. Then they'd always encourage us to go to Maine because they knew how much we enjoyed the outdoors. Our standard reply was always "we will, but we're walking there". :)

• I did 35 minutes with a pack in the mall last night, headed back to do an hour this morning, trying to rehab the knee and determine if it can handle 500 miles starting in two weeks, I'll add a little weight and time each day and hope it comes through....it's looking doubtful.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Im going to hike Mount Marcy and down thru Avalanche pass and back to the Loj up in the Adirondacks this coming weekend. So as a prep, due to the fact I haven't hiked since June 11, today I took a short hike. I hiked the Breakneck Ridge loop in Cold Soring NY. It was a beautiful day and thankfully not busy at all. I attached some pics. And if anyone has any tips or trails to recommend for me up at Marcy that would be great. :)
      Images
      • image.jpg

131.1 kB, 800×600, viewed 273 times
      • image.jpg

82.78 kB, 800×600, viewed 258 times
      • image.jpg

59.92 kB, 800×600, viewed 204 times
      • image.jpg

45.44 kB, 450×600, viewed 208 times
      • image.jpg

50.85 kB, 450×600, viewed 209 times
      • image.jpg

133.39 kB, 800×600, viewed 217 times
      • image.jpg

92.52 kB, 450×600, viewed 224 times
      • image.jpg

83.36 kB, 450×600, viewed 216 times
      • image.jpg

162.38 kB, 800×600, viewed 208 times
      RIAP
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

You are more energetic than I am. Avalanche Pass to Marcy and back is more than I'd feel safe doing as a day trip. Except for easy ones like Cascade and Porter, I've always done the thing of making a base camp and going for the summit with a light pack.
      I'm planning and taking provisions for two nights. I'm going to see how it goes
      RIAP
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Once you do Marcy, you can use Van Hoevenberg as a shorter route back to the Loj. It's also nice. Not breathtaking like Avalanche Pass, but nice.
      This is what I was thinking,
      Start at the Loj, camp at Marcy Dam...then climb Marcy on second day, camp at Colden then hike thru Avalanche Pass back to the Loj.
      But I was thinking maybe doing it in reverse, Avalanche Pass first, then last day do Marcy then take the Van Hoevenberg back to the Loj....What are your thoughts?
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Once you do Marcy, you can use Van Hoevenberg as a shorter route back to the Loj. It's also nice. Not breathtaking like Avalanche Pass, but nice.
      This is what I was thinking,Start at the Loj, camp at Marcy Dam...then climb Marcy on second day, camp at Colden then hike thru Avalanche Pass back to the Loj.
      But I was thinking maybe doing it in reverse, Avalanche Pass first, then last day do Marcy then take the Van Hoevenberg back to the Loj....What are your thoughts?
      adk lodge, avalanche pass, marcy, lake colden, Algonquin back to the lodge.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123