Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Going For A Short Hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kathy and I are planning an overnighter for this coming Friday into Saturday. It'll be the first since I had had the bone in my leg crack. We've decided on Harriman State Park but haven't picked a place in the park. We'll be looking for someplace that isn't too wet. We're having a big rain storm tonight.
    • Kathy and I are planning an overnighter for this coming Friday into Saturday. It'll be the first since I had had the bone in my leg crack. We've decided on Harriman State Park but haven't picked a place in the park. We'll be looking for someplace that isn't too wet. We're having a big rain storm tonight.
    • Kathy and I got to Harriman S.P. about 1PM on Friday and started walking just a little after. It was in the low 50s with a pretty good breeze. During the drive to Elk Pen parking lot we decided to overnight at the Big Hill (I think that's the name) shelter area. 3.7 miles in and a lot of it was up hill. Since it rained the night before there were a lot of puddles and mud. Also all the streams were running high and fast.. We got to the area, set up our tent and walked over to the shelter. It turns out there were 2 guys in the shelter and they were from Long Island, but farther east than us. Once their dinner was ready we said good night and went back to our tent and cooked up our dinner. By then it was dark out and we enjoyed viewing the stars. With nothing else to do we climbed into our tent, changed into sleep clothes and snuggled into our sleeping bags. I got up once during the night. And noticed the stars were gone and the sky was overcast. Rain was in the forecast for Saturday, early afternoon. We took our time having breakfast and packing up. We checked the map (we still use paper maps) and decided on a route back to the car different than what we walked on our way to the shelter. This route took us past some very old iron ore mines, there's a bunch of them in the park and most are filled with water. The trail had a number of ups and downs to get us back to the parking area, another 3.7 miles. We got there just as the next rain storm started, changed our clothes, and drove off to a post hike meal at a restaurant we like in the town of Sloatsburg.
      Then we headed over to wonder around in Campmor. Alot less of the building is used to display goods for sale than it used to be. It looked to me the only thing they don't carry any more is bicycles, but there's less choices than there used to be in all the other departments. After doing our part to bolster the economy we settled down in the car for the drive home in the rain.
      This was my first time carrying a pack on a trail with rocks and roots, sticks and stones, since I had the problem with my leg last year. What I found out is that I'm very much out of shape. I weighed myself this morning and found I've gained 38 pounds while waiting for my leg to heal. So, I've got some work to do. But all in all we really enjoyed being out in the woods.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I got to Harriman S.P. about 1PM on Friday and started walking just a little after. It was in the low 50s with a pretty good breeze. During the drive to Elk Pen parking lot we decided to overnight at the Big Hill (I think that's the name) shelter area. 3.7 miles in and a lot of it was up hill. Since it rained the night before there were a lot of puddles and mud. Also all the streams were running high and fast.. We got to the area, set up our tent and walked over to the shelter. It turns out there were 2 guys in the shelter and they were from Long Island, but farther east than us. Once their dinner was ready we said good night and went back to our tent and cooked up our dinner. By then it was dark out and we enjoyed viewing the stars. With nothing else to do we climbed into our tent, changed into sleep clothes and snuggled into our sleeping bags. I got up once during the night. And noticed the stars were gone and the sky was overcast. Rain was in the forecast for Saturday, early afternoon. We took our time having breakfast and packing up. We checked the map (we still use paper maps) and decided on a route back to the car different than what we walked on our way to the shelter. This route took us past some very old iron ore mines, there's a bunch of them in the park and most are filled with water. The trail had a number of ups and downs to get us back to the parking area, another 3.7 miles. We got there just as the next rain storm started, changed our clothes, and drove off to a post hike meal at a restaurant we like in the town of Sloatsburg.
      Then we headed over to wonder around in Campmor. Alot less of the building is used to display goods for sale than it used to be. It looked to me the only thing they don't carry any more is bicycles, but there's less choices than there used to be in all the other departments. After doing our part to bolster the economy we settled down in the car for the drive home in the rain.
      This was my first time carrying a pack on a trail with rocks and roots, sticks and stones, since I had the problem with my leg last year. What I found out is that I'm very much out of shape. I weighed myself this morning and found I've gained 38 pounds while waiting for my leg to heal. So, I've got some work to do. But all in all we really enjoyed being out in the woods.
      Great to hear (read) that you are back out there and having a good time! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General