Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

This gizmo

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: This gizmo

WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Power inverter. Those are nice to have.

JJ an inverter is a 12v - 125vac so thats not what he's discussing..

OK you spiked my interest - you are jumping dead batteries with this? where is the connected jumpers?
      My brother had them in his other hand....and they were tiny. As you can see it has that USB port,,,,,,it jumps cars!.........it has to last for a while with small gadgets. I just haven't had too much time to read the manual from it.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

Coach we have hiked together, I am not popular, Honest as a group, & as we get older we pick our friends carefully. I am honored that you and your & my friends included me on the last hike.
      - but I grow on folk - as a Ham operator ... I am stumped. How the hell does a 5v output allow a 12 v battery start? I just dont get it ...the math isn't there ... what gives? what is happening here?

Hey if it doesn't add up no worries.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Coach we have hiked together, I am not popular, Honest as a group, & as we get older we pick our friends carefully. I am honored that you and your & my friends included me on the last hike.
      - but I grow on folk - as a Ham operator ... I am stumped. How the hell does a 5v output allow a 12 v battery start? I just dont get it ...the math isn't there ... what gives? what is happening here?

Hey if it doesn't add up no worries.

WOO.....you know I have a dumb phone and a desktop......how the hell do I know........I will actually look at the book today! All I know is I've seen it start 3 stone dead cars!

LIhikers wrote:

Come on WOO, this is the 21st century, nothing adds up.
      Old guys like me and you just don't get it, ask any teenager, they'll tell you.

You might be able to ask a teenager if you can get one (just one) to LOOK UP.
      Were are now a society of smart phones and dumb people.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z7dLU6fk9QY
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

OK I found it.. a little over a hundred bucks and tons of adapters and a jumper cable... I have very powerful (and exsplosive) Li ion Batteries over here. I suspect its the same thing as a RC car battery with a dedicated charger. The fact that it can charge a laptop 19v battery sells it.

I would not use this for the trail - but it makes a good piece of kit for the car.

I had a thought it makes a good addition for Preppers.

http://www.gradeatools.com/Quip-All-Jump-Starter-Portable-Charger-Multi-p/qpl-pcajs200.htm
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK I found it.. a little over a hundred bucks and tons of adapters and a jumper cable... I have very powerful (and exsplosive) Li ion Batteries over here. I suspect its the same thing as a RC car battery with a dedicated charger. The fact that it can charge a laptop 19v battery sells it.

I would not use this for the trail - but it makes a good piece of kit for the car.

I had a thought it makes a good addition for Preppers.

http://www.gradeatools.com/Quip-All-Jump-Starter-Portable-Charger-Multi-p/qpl-pcajs200.htm
      I had this 'lightweight' discussion yesterday, with Steve (owner). Yea, it is light for car camping.........it is on the edge of being UL...........................................ultra- load that is! ;)
    • I prefer this gizmo, but it doesn't
      charge my phone very well.

What? That's not what we're talking about? Oh well.
      I have a small anker 5200 size that is treating me rather well.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • CoachLou wrote:

I asked the clerk if he has had feedback. He said "sure, I have one". I asked if it would charge my gadget? He said "twice or better"....."and it is half off because they had new stock with different packaging"

SOLD! :thumbsup:
      My Samsung S4 has a 2600 mAh battery, so I'd get about 1.5 charges out of that Duracell external pack. (4000/2600 = 1.53) I have something similar, which I got from Best Buy. I figure the phone is on Airplane mode while I'm hiking, so this pack will suffice for a 3 or 4 day section hike. I only need full power on the phone for a few minutes at a time, once or twice a day.
    • rafe wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I asked the clerk if he has had feedback. He said "sure, I have one". I asked if it would charge my gadget? He said "twice or better"....."and it is half off because they had new stock with different packaging"

My Samsung S4 has a 2600 mAh battery, so I'd get about 1.5 charges out of that Duracell external pack. (4000/2600 = 1.53) I have something similar, which I got from Best Buy. I figure the phone is on Airplane mode while I'm hiking, so this pack will suffice for a 3 or 4 day section hike. I only need full power on the phone for a few minutes at a time, once or twice a day.

Before I became a dad I kept my phone off while hiking and only checked it once a day.

This year I began keeping my phone turned on but in airplane mode while hiking so that I can turn it on and check for messages whenever I get to a place where I think I might get signal (mountain tops are especially good). I have been amazed how little of the battery is used to keep it on for the day in airplane mode, and as an added plus it lets me use the phone camera, so I stopped bringing my point and shoot on a lot of hikes.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

rafe wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Before I became a dad I kept my phone off while hiking and only checked it once a day.

This year I began keeping my phone turned on but in airplane mode while hiking so that I can turn it on and check for messages whenever I get to a place where I think I might get signal (mountain tops are especially good). I have been amazed how little of the battery is used to keep it on for the day in airplane mode, and as an added plus it lets me use the phone camera, so I stopped bringing my point and shoot on a lot of hikes.
      I carry a battery pack I got at Home Depot in 2013. I think about 5000 whatevers.
      IM advised me and I have decided since that he was right, that keeping the phone in airplane mode is less power draining than turning it off and on if you check it more than about 3 times a day.
      Of course this is offset by the fact that you will use more power taking pictures and videos because it is able to more readily. But hey! Is that a problem?
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Also turn mobile data off every time. During a hiking day, your most likely need is camera and texts to loved ones. Turn the mobile data and gps/location features off during the day otherwise they automatically drain every time you turn off airplane mode.
      Your SAP is multifunction, get your head around the different functions and it makes more sense.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • This thing looks like a pretty good buy. I haven't tried it.

boingboing.net/2015/09/25/dual…harger-with-10000mah.html

I've got a big heavy ruggedized charger. I use my electronics in the field. My charger has survived a lot of abuse.
      Unfortunately, the company that sold it discontinued it right after I got it. This one is from the same vendor and looks sort of similar.

newtrent.com/powerpak-ultra-nt140r-o.html
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

This thing looks like a pretty good buy. I haven't tried it.

I've got a big heavy ruggedized charger. I use my electronics in the field. My charger has survived a lot of abuse.
      Unfortunately, the company that sold it discontinued it right after I got it. This one is from the same vendor and looks sort of similar.

Does that mean that the AAA Altoids tin no longer makes it into your pack?
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I still have the MintyBoost (it's AA, not AAA, by the way). It's much lighter than the brick, so I think I'd still take it on an overnight trip. For a longer trip, the brick works out better for me. With it along, I can run the phone GPS all day long and just not worry about power, for days at a time.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/25/dual-usb-charger-with-10000mah.html

http://www.newtrent.com/powerpak-ultra-nt140r-o.html
      I still have the MintyBoost (it's AA, not AAA, by the way). It's much lighter than the brick, so I think I'd still take it on an overnight trip. For a longer trip, the brick works out better for me. With it along, I can run the phone GPS all day long and just not worry about power, for days at a time.
      Question. If you have a phone that has a 3000mah battery, will one of those 10000mah chargers charge it back to 100% 3 times if its completely discharged?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Question. If you have a phone that has a 3000mah battery, will one of those 10000mah chargers charge it back to 100% 3 times if its completely discharged?

Probably not quite. It depends on the efficiency of the conversion circuits in both charger and phone. If they're both good ones, you probably recover about 80% of the energy, so you'd get 2.6 complete charges, more or less.