Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cuben Food Bags, Rock Sacks, and Ditty Bags-

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cuben Food Bags, Rock Sacks, and Ditty Bags-

I'm thinking of getting some more cuben to make some stuff and thought I'd make the offer to make the hikers here some stuff at a discount price. I am thinking of offering a 15"w x 19"l food/bear bag, a rock sack, and a small ditty bag 5"x6" for $23 to $25 shipped CONUS. The bear bag would be velcro closure roll top with buckle, 1.4 cuben. This is about half of what you would pay anywhere else. All this stuff- cuben, velcro, tape, buckles, cord etc adds up, I can't give this much away so I am offering it at a super discount.

Before I order anything I'd like to know if anyone is interested and if so then I'll order enough extra stuff to cover the people that want some.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

I'm thinking of getting some more cuben to make some stuff and thought I'd make the offer to make the hikers here some stuff at a discount price. I am thinking of offering a 15"w x 19"l food/bear bag, a rock sack, and a small ditty bag 5"x6" for $23 to $25 shipped CONUS. The bear bag would be velcro closure roll top with buckle, 1.4 cuben. This is about half of what you would pay anywhere else. All this stuff- cuben, velcro, tape, buckles, cord etc adds up, I can't give this much away so I am offering it at a super discount.

Before I order anything I'd like to know if anyone is interested and if so then I'll order enough extra stuff to cover the people that want some.

Hi JimmyJam, I would like to order 1 set plus an extra food/bear bag. Please let me know the total and I will send a ck asap. Thanks! :cheer:

I would like just the food bag. I expect that is the lion's share of the material and therefore should be the lion's share of the cost. If you are willing to sell just that item, PM me the cost and I will send a check. Please do not discount. You have been more than generous and deserve to recoup some funds.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Ok. I just saw all the recent replies. I'll work up my material order this evening when I get home and then get the stuff ordered.

Everyone OK with PayPal?

Also I will have enough for 2 more Bearbags + minis if anyone else out there wants one.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

Any update on this, JJ?

I ordered the cuben a little while ago. I'll send out invoices to everyone after I make them. So I'll get the material around the middle to end of next week and I'll try and make everything over the weekend and mail them out around 5/5 or so. I'll ask for payment then.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Any update on this, JJ?

I ordered the cuben a little while ago. I'll send out invoices to everyone after I make them. So I'll get the material around the middle to end of next week and I'll try and make everything over the weekend and mail them out around 5/5 or so. I'll ask for payment then.

Sounds good. I don't need it right away, my next hike is the end of May. If someone else needs it quick, I can wait.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Any update on this, JJ?

Sounds good. I don't need it right away, my next hike is the end of May. If someone else needs it quick, I can wait.

I ordered just enough for you, BB, Ozjacko, and Trillium.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Any update on this, JJ?

YAY!!!!!! I am so excited; I know this will help to ensure that I am successful this year! gif.005

Trillium wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Any update on this, JJ?

YAY!!!!!! I am so excited; I know this will help to ensure that I am successful this year! gif.005

Where are you starting? Are you hiking the entire AT?

TrafficJam wrote:

I will be starting at Winding Stair Gap. That is where I ended last year. I have 3 weddings this year to attend, one just off the AT that my husband will pick me up for then we will go. But the other 2 are in Michigan so after the first wedding, I will likely go back to Michigan until the 3rd one is over, then I will reevaluate and perhaps pick up where I left off. Or there's always next year.

Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I will be starting at Winding Stair Gap. That is where I ended last year. I have 3 weddings this year to attend, one just off the AT that my husband will pick me up for then we will go. But the other 2 are in Michigan so after the first wedding, I will likely go back to Michigan until the 3rd one is over, then I will reevaluate and perhaps pick up where I left off. Or there's always next year.

Interesting. Depending on where I decide to hike next, we just might run into each other. :)

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Interesting. Depending on where I decide to hike next, we just might run into each other. :)

That would be GREAT!

Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

That would be GREAT!

I'm waiting to hear from my sister. I've asked her to hike with me. I really want her to. She's one of those people who likes to talk to everyone on the trail so it's always fun to be with her. If she can, we're going to SNP. If not, the choices are limitless.

Hey Trillium, your stuff is all ready but I can't find your mailing info. Please PM me with your mailing info.

TJ yousr is ready too and will be mailed tomorrow.

OZjacko yours is half done and should be in the mail Tuesday.

BB yours is also half done and should be in the mail Wednesday- i'm still working on your little custom thing.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Cuben Food Bags, Rock Sacks, and Ditty Bags-

TrafficJam wrote:

"jimmyjam post=26366 wrote:

I am on my third microfine #90. This 1.4 cuben is some tough stuff.

I'm sure you've worked hard on those bags. I'll have to make something for you after I finish BB's present, which I started tonight. :cheer:

Actually the big food bags are fairly easy. It's the little bags that are hard to make.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

I use the level as straight edge to draw long lines. Same for the framing square. The piece of material I had was 54inches wide and 9 ft long. I have had material 20 ft long.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Here's a picture of what will fit in the food bag- everything except 4 candy bars and other 1st days snacks which go in my hip belt or side pocket:

And here's a picture of the completed kit:

Food bag weighs 33g, 5x7 small stuff sack 4g, rock sack 1g. If I had some .51 on hand the stuff sacks would weigh 2g.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

Wow, JJ! That looks awesome. One day I carried some French onion soup mix with rice noodles in one of your CF bags. It was sooooo smelly but as soon as I put it in the bag...nothing. It was amazing.

That is actually 6 days of food but I carry the first days in my hip belt and pack side pocket. But you could get 6 days in there it depends on what you take and how you package it. I put it all in s OP sack first.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

Here's a picture of what will fit in the food bag- everything except 4 candy bars and other 1st days snacks which go in my hip belt or side pocket:

And here's a picture of the completed kit:

Food bag weighs 33g, 5x7 small stuff sack 4g, rock sack 1g. If I had some .51 on hand the stuff sacks would weigh 2g.

Nice looking stuff
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

TrainWreck wrote:

2.gif 2.gif

Did I miss out on this awesome offer? Do you have any material left for an extra set?
      If not, please include me on your next round of production!

See that's what happens when you run off and hide.

All joking aside, what would like? The food bag/stuff sack/rock sack or something else? I can make a lot of things.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference