Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

REI Dividend is in, what can I get now?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Rasty wrote:

      twistwrist wrote:

      Really? Most hikers I've met use them. I haven't been (and hoped not to), but don't they help to keep your tent drier and less likely to get punctured?


      Cool. I'd love to not carry one. Give me some reasons!
      Tent floors are tough. I've got one tiny hole in three years in the floor. A 2" piece of duct tape fixed it. It was my fault for setting up in fresh cleared scrub that was cleared with a bush-hog mower.
      Henry Shires says that he'll sell you a footprint for a Tarptent if you want one, but that you probably don't need one. He says he almost never gets a Tarptent back for floor repairs.

      Oh, and I forgot to mention. I did say that I carry a piece of Tyvek for sandstone. It also comes in handy with providing a dry place to sit down, or a layer between me and the mouse droppings on the rare occasions that I stay in a shelter.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Looks like REI is being awesome

      time.com/4088186/rei-black-friday/


      REI to Close Stores on Black Friday and Encourages Customers to Go Outside


      The retailer will encourage customers to get outdoors instead

      REI has announced it’s going in the opposite direction of other retailers this year: the outdoor and athletic supply store will close its doors on Black Friday, giving employees the day off with pay.
      While many stores have been pushing the beginning of Black Friday earlier and earlier, some of them beginning the discounts and compelling employees to work on Thanksgiving itself, REI has decided to make a statement at its 143 U.S. stores, CNN Money reports.
      “We think that Black Friday has gotten out of hand,” said the company’s CEO, Jerry Stritzke. Online customers will be able to make purchases from REI on Black Friday, but first they’ll have to get through a homepage encouraging them to explore the outdoors instead of shopping.
      While the move may hurt the bottom line—Black Friday is usually one of REI’s top sales days of the year—it’s also more likely to appeal to the brand’s customers than it would for other retailers. “[W]e can do something like close our doors on Black Friday, and we’ll have the membership that’ll think that’s cool,” Stritzke says.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Looks like REI is being awesome

      time.com/4088186/rei-black-friday/


      REI to Close Stores on Black Friday and Encourages Customers to Go Outside


      The retailer will encourage customers to get outdoors instead

      REI has announced it’s going in the opposite direction of other retailers this year: the outdoor and athletic supply store will close its doors on Black Friday, giving employees the day off with pay.
      While many stores have been pushing the beginning of Black Friday earlier and earlier, some of them beginning the discounts and compelling employees to work on Thanksgiving itself, REI has decided to make a statement at its 143 U.S. stores, CNN Money reports.
      “We think that Black Friday has gotten out of hand,” said the company’s CEO, Jerry Stritzke. Online customers will be able to make purchases from REI on Black Friday, but first they’ll have to get through a homepage encouraging them to explore the outdoors instead of shopping.
      While the move may hurt the bottom line—Black Friday is usually one of REI’s top sales days of the year—it’s also more likely to appeal to the brand’s customers than it would for other retailers. “[W]e can do something like close our doors on Black Friday, and we’ll have the membership that’ll think that’s cool,” Stritzke says.
      I wonder how many employees with pitch there tents & spend the night outside.... & what percentage will be in the woods rather than a store parking lot waiting for other stores to open? ?(
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I can't recall ever shopping on Black Friday.
      me too and i don't plan on it.

      this summer i accidentally went to the nike outlet store on the weekend before the first day of school which was also the sales tax holiday and it was wall to wall people. i went to the back of the store to see what they had so i could decide if was going to return on a later day - no way was i going to try on shoes and then wait in that massive line to pay.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I can't recall ever shopping on Black Friday.
      neither can I, however one of my jobs in college was retail and I worked two. BFs. However as I was on commission, the pay checks were admirable.

      Kudos to REI.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

      SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Looks like REI is being awesome

      time.com/4088186/rei-black-friday/


      REI to Close Stores on Black Friday and Encourages Customers to Go Outside


      The retailer will encourage customers to get outdoors instead

      REI has announced it’s going in the opposite direction of other retailers this year: the outdoor and athletic supply store will close its doors on Black Friday, giving employees the day off with pay.
      While many stores have been pushing the beginning of Black Friday earlier and earlier, some of them beginning the discounts and compelling employees to work on Thanksgiving itself, REI has decided to make a statement at its 143 U.S. stores, CNN Money reports.
      “We think that Black Friday has gotten out of hand,” said the company’s CEO, Jerry Stritzke. Online customers will be able to make purchases from REI on Black Friday, but first they’ll have to get through a homepage encouraging them to explore the outdoors instead of shopping.
      While the move may hurt the bottom line—Black Friday is usually one of REI’s top sales days of the year—it’s also more likely to appeal to the brand’s customers than it would for other retailers. “[W]e can do something like close our doors on Black Friday, and we’ll have the membership that’ll think that’s cool,” Stritzke says.
      I wonder how many employees with pitch there tents & spend the night outside.... & what percentage will be in the woods rather than a store parking lot waiting for other stores to open? ?(
      I guarantee very few retail workers will be shopping in black Friday. Universally they despise that day.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • One of my buddies in grad school was earning a MBA. One of his projects was comparing BF only specials with prices on comparable items post-Christmas. He found with rare exception either like or better items at the same price or lower. I saw similar results when working retail during the holiday season.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

      One of my buddies in grad school was earning a MBA. One of his projects was comparing BF only specials with prices on comparable items post-Christmas. He found with rare exception either better items at the same price or lower. I saw similar results when working retail during the holiday season.
      They move the best shopping deals around. I find it the most cost effective to be estranged from your family. The best dollar saved is the dollar never spent.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

      Dan76 wrote:

      One of my buddies in grad school was earning a MBA. One of his projects was comparing BF only specials with prices on comparable items post-Christmas. He found with rare exception either better items at the same price or lower. I saw similar results when working retail during the holiday season.
      They move the best shopping deals around. I find it the most cost effective to be estranged from your family. The best dollar saved is the dollar never spent.
      Rasty, how about taking that message to Washington DC. Then after that, a lot of consumers could benefit from that message too.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Another neat thing I did with all my sons when they were around 5 or 6 years old was to close Amusement Park down with just them. I can still see the smiles on their faces when it was just the two of us (instead of a family of 6) riding any rides they wanted.

      For my oldest it was Disney Land Paris, for the second Astro World, and for the youngest Disney World. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      I went with the missus once to BF. That was enough. Now she goes with her friends and I play in the garage.
      You are a brave soul indeed.
      No, I just didn't know any better. And we started with Walmart and then went to Kohls. The joy! (said dripping with sarcasm)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • We don't have Black Friday sales, the nearest here would be Boxing Day sales.
      But I have bought online during your sales.
      I would doubt I would go into a store except one day I would like to go to one of those REI car park sales of returns.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

      We don't have Black Friday sales, the nearest here would be Boxing Day sales.
      But I have bought online during your sales.
      I would doubt I would go into a store except one day I would like to go to one of those REI car park sales of returns.
      Sometimes black Friday feels like it should be called boxing day, some of these folks gets down right horny.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      JimBlue wrote:

      Out of the first 5 BF shopping years I went on, someone slammed their car into mine. So, I do try and avoid BF.
      I wonder if Hikerboy gets increased sales of cars due to black Friday incidents like yours.
      Car park damage is usually repairable. More likely Coach does well..
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • socks wrote:

      or·ner·y
      [ˈôrn(ə)rē]


      ADJECTIVE


      1. N. AMER.informalbad-tempered and combative:"some hogs are just mean and ornery"synonyms: grouchy · grumpy · cranky · crotchety · cantankerous ASSHOLE· [more]
      2. stubborn:"taking the singer's ornery radicalism in a different direction"
      found it! :/
      Fixed it
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123